Notices

OT -- Alimony

Old 04-14-2004, 05:51 PM
Sun, sand and sea!
Gold Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have an answer but you don't want to know it. She has to claim it as part of her income for you to claim it as a deductible. If she files the alimony as income you can claim that, but if she doesn't you are stuck. Just because you pay the third party for her, it doesn't count. I know that isn't the answer you wanted and I don't agree with it, but there it is. Sorry!
Old 04-14-2004, 05:57 PM
Charter Member #71
Charter Member

Received 14 Likes on 3 Posts

If she doesn't claim it as income, turn her into the IRS, then she'll get audited and you'll be able to claim it.
Been there...done that

Alimony= The Fu--in you get for the fu--in you got
Old 04-14-2004, 06:34 PM
Sun, sand and sea!
Gold Member

Now there is that. It could hold up any sort of refund you might get but then she would know to claim it next go 'round. Personally, I think it's crap that you have to pay it, and then not be able to claim it unless she does.
Old 04-14-2004, 07:56 PM
Danny_Ocean

Perpetual bachelor for this very reason...

D. Ocean
Pompano Beach, FLA

Old 04-14-2004, 09:26 PM
Registered

refund = funny!!!

i haven't got a refund in years -- i owe i owe i owe

but its the life i choose!!
Old 04-14-2004, 09:35 PM
Registered

hey -- how am i supposed to control how she files her taxes and what she reports as income???

doesn't sound like anything i could be held accountable for?
Old 04-14-2004, 09:55 PM
Registered
Platinum Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally posted by CHAOS REIGNS

its a long story -- and i'm not even THAT bitter about it
Just reading the short version angers me.....Check out the m60 video clips posted earlier.
Old 04-15-2004, 12:20 AM
Registered

Originally posted by CHAOS REIGNS
hey -- how am i supposed to control how she files her taxes and what she reports as income???

doesn't sound like anything i could be held accountable for?
The IRS is most interested in un-reported INCOME. Your expenditure is not INCOME, but a tax deduction on alimony.

Have you contacted a tax person yet? You only have 26 more hours to file!!! If she receives alimony and does not report it, that is her problem and not yours. You can not control how or what she files.
Old 04-15-2004, 12:43 AM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 133 Likes on 82 Posts

File an extension. Just make sure you send in enough money right now to cover your "best guess" on what you owe.

I've written off bad debts before (and this past year as well). To do that you are supposed to make sure the other party claims it as income. I'm pretty sure the guys that have bailed on debts to me haven't ever claimed that as income, but that isn't my fault. Not something I can make them do. I report every penny of my income, cash, barter, etc. Not worth the hassle later if you don't. I also take all the deductions and write offs I am entitled to and try to make sure I have adequate supporting documentation to do so.

But the bottom line is that my tax guy says i can only make sure I do my taxes properly and that it isn't my duty to make sure the other guys are doing the same.
Old 04-15-2004, 07:43 AM
Sun, sand and sea!
Gold Member

So let me guess Mark, you have waited until the last minute to file? lol You can't be held accountable for making sure she files properly. I just meant be prepared in case an audit of her filing holds up anything on your end. But since you are working to pay THE MAN, that won't be an issue. Like MCollins said, if you file the extension, go ahead and send what you estimate you owe and work it out in the extension. Good luck!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.