Like Tree0Likes

Recent crashes and stepped hulls

Reply
Old 04-22-2004, 04:11 PM
  #51
The Illustrious One
Charter Member
 
sean stinson's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2000
Location: Internationally Famous
My Boats: Back on the dock!!!!!!!
Posts: 3,272
Default

[QUOTE]Originally posted by T2x
[B]Hi Sean:

Thanks for your candor and honesty.


I rest my case..........[B][QUOTE]


Hi Rich,

You're welcome......how's the east coast? Talk to you soon.

Sean
__________________
Dying,....Is the day worth living for!!!!!!

Last edited by sean stinson; 04-22-2004 at 04:15 PM.
sean stinson is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2004, 04:17 PM
  #52
T2x
Allergic to Nonsense
Platinum Member
 
T2x's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2001
Location: Granite Quarry, NC
My Boats: 1966 !8' Switzer Wing "Miss Diablo" 1968 Switzer Wing "Dust'n the Wind 2",, 1960 Powercat 15C , 1977 17' Molinari w/Evinrude CCC
Posts: 5,004
Default

[QUOTE]Originally posted by sean stinson
[B][QUOTE]Originally posted by T2x
[B]Hi Sean:

Thanks for your candor and honesty.


I rest my case..........
Quote:


Hi Rich,

You're welcome......how's the east coast? Talk to you soon.

Sean
The East Coast awaits the new mini series in which the West Coast falls into the Pacific...making Las Vegas a beach front community...... I'm hopeful that the vibrations don't wake me up in the middle of the night.........

T2x
T2x is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2004, 04:26 PM
  #53
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
 
CigDaze's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2001
Location: St. Petersburg, FL
My Boats: Cigarette 35 Cafe Racer
Posts: 21,346
Default

It's funny you mention that. California is scheduled to fall into the Pacific on September 5th.
http://cnews.canoe.ca/CNEWS/Science/...428731-ap.html

Buy your Nevada waterfront lots now.
CigDaze is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2004, 04:32 PM
  #54
The Illustrious One
Charter Member
 
sean stinson's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2000
Location: Internationally Famous
My Boats: Back on the dock!!!!!!!
Posts: 3,272
Default

Quote:
Originally posted by T2x
The East Coast awaits the new mini series in which the West Coast falls into the Pacific...making Las Vegas a beach front community...... I'm hopeful that the vibrations don't wake me up in the middle of the night.........

T2x

And the best part is, is it's a true story. I also hope it doesn't wake you up. But hey 10.5 isn't that bad.

Sean
__________________
Dying,....Is the day worth living for!!!!!!
sean stinson is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2004, 04:35 PM
  #55
Registered
 
Downtown42's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: 1 Flu Ovr KuKos Nest-WI
My Boats: 2005 42' Fountain SOLD
Posts: 9,950
Default

Wouldn't California just be a big island? It's not just going to fall in the sea and disappear. I think I'll invest in the middle or east part of the state for new protected waterfront.
Downtown42 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2004, 04:43 PM
  #56
T2x
Allergic to Nonsense
Platinum Member
 
T2x's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2001
Location: Granite Quarry, NC
My Boats: 1966 !8' Switzer Wing "Miss Diablo" 1968 Switzer Wing "Dust'n the Wind 2",, 1960 Powercat 15C , 1977 17' Molinari w/Evinrude CCC
Posts: 5,004
Default

Quote:
Originally posted by Downtown42
Wouldn't California just be a big island? It's not just going to fall in the sea and disappear. I think I'll invest in the middle or east part of the state for new protected waterfront.
Gives a whole new meaning to the term......... "Cracked Crab".

T2x
T2x is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2004, 04:52 PM
  #57
Registered
 
IDRPSTF's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2001
Location: In your driveway while you sleep
My Boats: Whatever you missed your payment on
Posts: 1,759
Default

And the rest of the guys in the office laugh when I come in everyday with "Waterwings" on. Ha!!!! Ill show them when Im floating aound.
IDRPSTF is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2004, 10:18 PM
  #58
Registered
 
RJ1340's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Location: Chicago, IL
My Boats: 47 Fountain
Posts: 525
Default

As a pilot, a trained driver and kick-ass throttleman/driver (if I do say so myself) I can tell you that the number one thing is SLOW DOWN....and I don't mean your GPS speed. Don't make sudden corrections in speed or direction. Use input cautiously.
And DON'T do what I do, hotwire the kill switches, not that anyone would come back to get me, anyway.
Anyone know when's Cinco de Mayo?
RJ1340 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2004, 11:47 PM
  #59
Registered
 
Tonto's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2000
Posts: 1,782
Default

If you take a good look at the running surface of a stepped bottom boat and THINK about how the hull is moving through the water you'll understand a little better about the boat, not just what all the shiny brochures said.

At speed, a stepped hull basically has two or three running surfaces depending on the number of steps. Now, think about this, you tuck the drives in to make a turn. You're forcing the bow down, right, which creates resistance, now you turn the drives, which in a since makes the boat want to "bow steer" like a cruiser, but at 90 mph you can't recover and the boat spins out. From my understanding of these boats, you want to keep them trimmed out in the turns and "slid" them through the turns. I would listen to Brian and Sean on this one as they have a ton of seat time in stepped boats and I have none, just an understanding of the hydronamics. That's why I drive a OLD ANTIQUE LUMPY RESINE BUCKET that is slow and is very predictable in the turns and I don't feel the need to run "at the front of the pack". I'm not beating on the guys that like to run at the front, it's just not MY deal. Ya'll have a great day!

Robert
Tonto is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2004, 09:18 AM
  #60
Registered
 
spitfire1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2001
Location: Ft. Lauderdale FL. USA
My Boats: 2004 Gladiator
Posts: 1,743
Default

Quote:
Originally posted by Tonto
.

At speed, a stepped hull basically has two or three running surfaces depending on the number of steps. Now, think about this, you tuck the drives in to make a turn. You're forcing the bow down, right, which creates resistance, now you turn the drives, which in a since makes the boat want to "bow steer" like a cruiser, but at 90 mph you can't recover and the boat spins out. From my understanding of these boats, you want to keep them trimmed out in the turns and "slid" them through the turns. I would listen to Brian and Sean on this one as they have a ton of seat time in stepped boats and I have none, just an understanding of the hydronamics. That's why I drive a OLD ANTIQUE LUMPY RESINE BUCKET that is slow and is very predictable in the turns and I don't feel the need to run "at the front of the pack". I'm not beating on the guys that like to run at the front, it's just not MY deal. Ya'll have a great day!

Robert
Robert....this discussion reminds me of a very similar circumstance with an airplane back in the late sixties and early seventies....It has to do with the Beechcraft Bonanza.....the infamous "Doctor Killer"........they called it that because generally it was priced so high that only Doctors could afford one....the airplane in question had shed the more "conventional" tail assembly in favor of the more streamlined, aesthetically pleasing, and performance oriented V-tail.....or better known as the V-tailed Bonanza....In a very short time the accident rate with this beautiful airplane approached a critical point as pilots seemed to auger them in with alarming frequency and subsequent high mortality rate......without going into the aerodynamics of this configuration let me say this....I have quite a few hours in these aircraft....they are still around today...... and very sought after.....The FAA did come out with an Airworthiness Directive on the empennage assembly as I recall but if you talk to anyone familiar with this aircraft, they will invariably tell you that it wasn't the aircraft at fault but rather the operator....In a large percentage of cases they did not have the experience or required skill level in many instances to pilot such an aircraft.....something that the FAA and the Press like to refer to as "Pilot Error..........." Rich

Last edited by Spitfire1; 04-23-2004 at 03:02 PM.
spitfire1 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Reply

Related Topics
Thread
Thread Starter
Forum
Replies
Last Post
NoQuarter
Boating Safety
6
06-08-2007 09:17 AM
bblythe
General Boating Discussion
42
11-22-2006 08:29 PM
Fanatic
Fountain
13
12-18-2005 11:50 AM
packinair
General Boating Discussion
24
04-23-2004 12:28 PM
thedonz
General Boating Discussion
18
03-03-2004 04:22 PM



Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:10 PM.


Copyright 2011 OffShoreOnly. All rights reserved.