Notices

Skater video

Old 04-26-2004, 11:47 AM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My Skater was set up properly, first by Ocean outboard and later refined by John Vanderstahl at Lake X. As for my driving abilities and experience, you may contact Peter and speak to him about me. I would agree with Shane that a balanced 28' runs great. I still say that a standard pro max with 20" mid sections is too tall for this boat. BTW - Boatless, do you have or had a 28' Skater? If so, have you ever jumped a boat wake from behind? There is a big difference in coming up on a boat wake from behind than heading straight into one.
Old 04-26-2004, 12:06 PM
Registered

Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts
Default I'm sure

I'm sure Peter H. wouldn't't be impressed with this type of boating. I'm not an old man, I like to show off with the best of them, pushed the limits, been less than a model boater ....I have made dumb decisions in the past, and I am not a hypocrite ...however the more I see the more I learn... seeing this will make me think about my actions in the future.

one thing comes to mind when I watch this....Why? Fun is fun but this stunt seems somewhat foolish. Peter has spent years building a fine company with a tremendous product ...Ultimately some joker showing off to his friends in one of his (peter's) boats flips and kills himself leaving a grieving angry family that ends up suing the boat manufacturer and f%$@ing it up for the rest of us.

This post is not meant to criticize the exp. or talent of the driver I'm sure he knows how to handle his boat.

Tell you what.. send the video to the mgmt of Douglas Marine and post back what they say.

Maximus
Old 04-26-2004, 12:19 PM
GLH
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 19 Likes on 13 Posts

A lot of theory here.

Does it help;
-The Gentlemen with the Specter in Tampa Bay?
-The Gentleman's in Maryland in the Skater?
-The Gentlemen in Biloxi in the last weeks?

Not to mention the video from the shootout last year were the gentlemen pulled thru.

And most of these were experienced cat drivers.

A cat at high speeds seems a very dangerous proposition. And the consequence affect all of us...IE; all those tragedies mentioned in various threads here and making our sport a lot less palatable for insurance companies.

No matter who's right here in those arguments seems trivial when people end up in boxes.

No cats for me thank you, sorta like motorcycling. Call me a whimp if you want.
Old 04-26-2004, 12:22 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Guys - I am not saying that a Skater 28' is not a great boat, when in fact it is a great boat. When I say I am an expert on this boat, I mean that I flipped my boat doing the same stunt that Mike did (approaching a boat from behind and jumping the wake). I am not trying to be a wise guy here. I had my wild days on the Great South Bay of Long Island Jumping ferry boat wakes in my 32' at 90mph. When I think back on those days it was fun, but I must have been nuts to do this type of thing. Well, I guess I was somewhat nuts then. I don't want to see anybody get hurt. Please get the right setup and be careful.
Old 04-26-2004, 12:32 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally posted by GLH
A lot of theory here.

A cat at high speeds seems a very dangerous proposition. And the consequence affect all of us...IE; all those tragedies mentioned in various threads here and making our sport a lot less palatable for insurance companies.

No matter who's right here in those arguments seems trivial when people end up in boxes.

No cats for me thank you, sorta like motorcycling. Call me a whimp if you want.
GLH,

Foot for foot, mph for mph, the ride, stability and safety in a properly set up and operated cat exceeds that of a vee. Nothing negative toward vees here at all. Just a statement. The analogy of the of Randy's death is out of context as he was running a boat in race trim, trying to get the very most out of it. I submit that running a vee in the same capacity all things being equal can just as easily yield the same tragic results. You are not a wimp and would not call you one. A CRAZY Canuck? Yup. A wimp no way. However, until you run in a properly set up Skater or comperable cat, i.e. MTI, Spectre, Nor-Tech etc. rigth after running an equal size vee in the same water, you, like all, will have a difficult time understanding this phenomenon.

There are certainly exceptions to every rule, i.e. a driver/operated that does not know what he or she is doing etc. Again, all things being equal.

Last edited by Shane; 04-26-2004 at 12:35 PM.
Old 04-26-2004, 12:38 PM
Registered

Received 26 Likes on 16 Posts

Spectre Man, are you saying the boat was at fault or your driving was at fault?

It is one or the other and you made the decision to jump, run or whatever you did to cause the accident. The wind might have been calling but you drove the boat.

At this point, the driver/owner/idiot in the video has not crashed his/her boat. So currently the facts are that they are certainly crazy by their friends and the collective OSO consensus but they have not done anything detrimental to the boat, themselves or Skater's reputation.

I commented that the boat is not going to “Blow Over” at the speeds he is traveling which you state will.

Ask Mr. H about your driving capabilities, why? I’m certain you told him how good you are and he was at fault correct? What more can he possibly add.

No I do not own a 28’ Skater and there is nothing to add to that that can add to this thread to make a difference to whether the boat is about to blow over.
Old 04-26-2004, 12:58 PM
T2x
Allergic to Nonsense
Platinum Member

Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally posted by Shane
For your application, 300 Pro Max's, 15 inch mid sections, sponson tabs, NOT tunnel tab, and IF needed POSSIBLY a little BOW weight which can be done by moving the batteries forward in front of the drivers bullhead and or sand bags.
UMMMMM......errrr....Shane Ol' buddy...... Merc does not make a 15" 300x.

T2x
Old 04-26-2004, 01:06 PM
T2x
Allergic to Nonsense
Platinum Member

Originally posted by Spectre Man
When I say I am an expert on this boat, I mean that I flipped my boat doing the same stunt that Mike did .
SM:

Please note one of my flips below.........

The conclusion I reached was quite different than the one you reached. I concluded that I was not an "expert" in driving Milesmasters....the brand of tunnel hull shown, and that I had, in fact, F'd up big time....

I never flipped the damn thing again.... I barrel rolled it about a month later.... and even though I was in racing conditions in both incidents (driving at 10/10ths)..... I concluded that I would never learn to drive that English built nightmare and switched to Molinari's and Seebolds from there on in. I found that those hulls......like my 28' Skater,...... were a lot more predictable and forgiving....

Going upside down does not denote "expertise"....in fact, it probably proves the reverse.

T2x...............
Attached Thumbnails Skater video-oops.jpg  
Old 04-26-2004, 01:08 PM
T2x
Allergic to Nonsense
Platinum Member

Part 2......... "The big Ouch".

T2x
Attached Thumbnails Skater video-oops2.jpg  
Old 04-26-2004, 01:09 PM
GLH
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 19 Likes on 13 Posts

T2x,
You must of flipped a few times for all the hair to be wiped-out on that pointy headed melon of yours.

Quick Reply: Skater video

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.