Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   General Boating Discussion (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion-51/)
-   -   Skater video (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion/77502-skater-video.html)

Shane 04-26-2004 01:11 PM

Originally posted by T2x
UMMMMM......errrr....Shane Ol' buddy...... Merc does not make a 15" 300x.

T2x

I thought they made the non-X version in 15 inch mid-sections. If not, I stand corrected by the almighty all knowing!;) Look forward to seeing you soon T2x.:cool:

T2x 04-26-2004 01:17 PM

Originally posted by GLH
No cats for me thank you, sorta like motorcycling. Call me a whimp if you want.
G:

Try to get your mind around this one..........

Your boat is what....38' or so......? Okay, whatever.

Any Skater of 36 feet or above is safer than your boat.....at the same speed....(Last year that was about 72 mph I think)

However, your boat can't go as fast as the speeds in the accidents you point to so eagerly( all of which occured north of 120 and in one case near 200)........... nor does it have the potential to enter turns, approach waves, or be over trimmed at those speeds........ so you have no apples-apples comparison data.

You can make a case that there are a lot of yahoos in top end cats who may not have the skillset required to own/drive them..... and I would concur....but I have also seen people in vees without a clue how to handle them as well.

I must also make one exception to all of the above......

The boat that flipped in LOTO last year does not count as it was not a real cat.....it was built in California.

T2x;)

T2x 04-26-2004 01:20 PM

1 Attachment(s)

Originally posted by GLH
T2x,
You must of flipped a few times for all the hair to be wiped-out on that pointy headed melon of yours.

I actually back flipped only once in a few hundred races..... I hooked and barrel rolled two other times....

The hair loss has been previously explained........ it resulted from pure speed..............

T2x

Shane 04-26-2004 01:23 PM

Originally posted by T2x
G:

Try to get your mind around this one..........

Your boat is what....38' or so......? Okay, whatever.

T2x;)

Ummm...errrr....uh T2x ole buddy, his boat is 42 feet. Don't you remeber the 1000 posts about it?;) :D :eureka: It is SWEET though!:cool:

T2x 04-26-2004 01:28 PM

Originally posted by Shane
Ummm...errrr....uh T2x ole buddy, his boat is 42 feet. Don't you remeber the 1000 posts about it?;) :D :eureka: It is SWEET though!:cool:
I love his boat.......Don't get me wrong....... it is beautiful...if a bit of overkill for Lake Champlain :p

so let's see........ a 42 foot Cigarette...... what the heck......I'll stand by my statement ..."Any Skater over 36' ".....etc.

T2x

Spectre Man 04-26-2004 01:31 PM

Boatless – First of all, I am saying that the 300s with 20” midsections makes the geometry too high for a 28’ Skater. And that combination is at fault… and people who have that combination know it is not stable! To answer your question, “are you saying the boat was at fault or your driving was at fault”, my answer giving the setup I was using… THE BOAT WAS AT FAULT. Should I have intentionally jumped the following-sea wake, HELL NO… that was dumb!

The 28’ under most conditions - runs just fine. For the last time I will repeat that approaching a boat wake from behind generates much more lift than approaching the wake from the front or the side (be it a half or quartering sea).

You’re right I was driving the boat and I made a mistake by thinking the 28’ was invincible as some people would have you believe. Now, I am older and a bit wiser and I am trying to save a boaters life by telling them of my experience.

Cats are finicky and they don’t tell you when they have reached their limit. You know when you have exceeded the limit when they flip, stuff, barrel roll, or kite when you least likely expect it. I used to race against guys in 24’ Skaters that would stand them up on edge rather than lose a grudge race. Thank God they lived through it. I’ll bet that Shane does that move daily and he thinks that because he can do it - his boat is safe. He is probably a great driver, but he is playing with fire.

I know that you have said, “the boat is not going to ‘Blow Over’ at the speeds he is traveling”. I’m sure that you didn’t mean that, therefore I wouldn’t address it.

T2x 04-26-2004 01:33 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Here's one....safe as a limo at a buck twenty..... Maxed at a buck and a half.

T2x

Shane 04-26-2004 01:36 PM

Originally posted by T2x
Here's one....safe as a limo at a buck twenty..... Maxed at a buck and a half.

T2x

And GORGEOUS paint work to boot!:D :cool:

Spectre Man 04-26-2004 01:37 PM

That is one georgous boat!

Shane 04-26-2004 01:42 PM

Originally posted by Spectre Man
I’ll bet that Shane does that move daily and he thinks that because he can do it - his boat is safe. He is probably a great driver, but he is playing with fire.

Daily? NOPE! Once or twice when learning the boat many years ago but have learned a lot since.

My boat safe? When run properly and respected it is as "safe" as a 24 footer can be at those speeds.

Great driver? Nope! Just as "safe" as I can be understanding full well the circumstances I am entering each and every time I get in it.

Playing with fire? Aren't we all in this game playing with fire to one degree or another? To think you are not is foolish.