Notices

What is the SCAM?

Old 04-25-2004, 10:43 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What is the SCAM?

I received the following reply to a classified ad:

DUE TO THE ADVERT OF THE 2003 DONZI 38 ZR I SAW VIA THE NET.IT QUITE NICE AND CLEAN WHICH I WE LOVE TO PURCHASE AS A USED BOAT FOR SALES.SO SEND ME AN E-MAIL AS SOON AS YOU GET THIS MESSAGE TO KNOW IT'S CONDITION ,WE CAN TALK OUT BUSINESS.REGARDS.
TOMTON.

I then replied to "Tomton" with a condition report, and my cell phone number. I did not receive a call, but rather the following e-mail reply:

Thanks for the message,i would have even loved to come and see the car myself,but due to some shipping arrangement that has been keeping me out of the states.Kindly make all the necessary documents available,then you can forward me your postal add your name in full,so i can send you a chasier's check as soon as possible.I shall also get in contact with my shippers to be ready for the shipping,and also inform my agent of this offer.I look forward to hearing from you soonest,inorder for the transactions to be a succeful one.thanks

Notice that he mentions a car, and not a boat . . . ?

I am certain that we are dealing with either a kook, or a SCAM, or perhaps a bit of both.

Anybody come across something like this before?
Old 04-25-2004, 10:53 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

not yet.
Old 04-25-2004, 11:01 PM
jtmiller02

african country nigeria? its an organized crime thing over there...i got some info about that back when i sold a car on the net and had the same crap come to me..i'll post it as soon as i find it, basically they set up a deal they send you more than the value from a 3rd party, get you to send the difference to them the casheir check clears the bank and turns out to be a fake later

Old 04-25-2004, 11:02 PM
jtmiller02

http://www.secretservice.gov/alert419.shtml

http://home.rica.net/alphae/419coal/

sounds like what you are dealing with

Old 04-25-2004, 11:04 PM
jtmiller02

i am a powerseller on ebay and have dealt with lots of online sales in the past, usually thats the typical scam for big items like boats, cars, bikes etc... basically if it sounds too good to be true..

Old 04-25-2004, 11:04 PM
Mr. Demeanor

Take his check and do nothing else. It wouldmake a nice decoration and conversation piece.

Old 04-25-2004, 11:07 PM
jtmiller02

email him back and tell him the justice department has some nice deals on one bedroom beach front property in Cuba