Notices

Race Teams

Old 04-27-2004, 04:28 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Race Teams

I'm curious....how much $$ does it take to start a race team. Let's take maybe a SVL team to start off with. Always wondered how much it takes to keep the team/boat going, then how much $$ sponsors invest. Anybody with experience chime in...I'm interested.
Old 04-27-2004, 05:09 PM
Enjoy the show
VIP Member

Just start buring hundred dollar bills. You'll save money.

SVL, probably about $100K for a used refurbished boat or $150 for a new one. Then the truck and trailer, race uniforms, helmet and jackets.

$1000 per race entry fee plus travel and gas.

That's it, unless you break something.

I bet 200K would get you in a boat and through the first season.
Old 04-27-2004, 08:05 PM
Registered

Thanks Ron

Boy thats something I'd love to do. I can't even imagine what Super Vee or Cat would cost......heck I don't want to know haha. I knew it was a money and time consuming sport....but I guess I never knew it was that much $$
Old 04-27-2004, 08:14 PM
Registered

It all depends on how far you want to go and if you take racing seriously. You can spend weeks testing before the season, then there's tweaking before every race, all done at Lake X under controlled or what ever the new testing facility is. Then there is transportation for the entire team to and from the races unless you plan on putting everyone in the truck when you tow the boat there. Then there is there's the rescue team, you going to have your own or just use what's provided at the races? Don't forget going through all the equipment before and after every race. If you're running a Bravo I would expect a complete inspection after every race and probably a complete rebuild after every two.
Doing it right, I could see you spending between $150K - $200K not including equipment.

Sponsors, again it all depends on how professional you are going into the sport. Could be nickles and dimes or could be $100K from a single sponsor for a SVL or SCL team. $200K in total sponsor money for a light team is not unheard of.
Old 04-28-2004, 06:24 AM
Registered

ok so the sponsors do put up a good bit....I guess depending on which one's. I'm just guessing here...but I bet it's very unlikely you'll get sposored right off.....chances are you probably have to run the boat a while and then "gain" the sponsorship correct?

I guess what I'm really wondering here is......can you make a profit in boat racing? or is it generally breaking even if lucky or going in the red some.
Old 04-28-2004, 07:53 AM
Registered
Platinum Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Wink

MAKE MONEY? Oh man now there's a scenario! I know of one guy that comes about pretty good each year. He lives in Miami and has a REAL sponsor. They sponsor a NASCAR team so I gues the money they give him is chump change to them. BH
Old 04-28-2004, 04:26 PM
Registered

I guess it's just like anything else....some are sponsored heavily and others are just scraping by.
Old 04-28-2004, 04:34 PM
Registered

Originally posted by 97BossHammer
I guess it's just like anything else....some are sponsored heavily and others are just scraping by.
Even the most heavily sponsored are losing money.

To get the big money you need to put on a big show, however the show always runs over budget.
Old 04-28-2004, 04:38 PM
Registered

yeah I guess your right.......but ohhhh what a way to blow some money
Old 04-28-2004, 05:07 PM
Registered

How many teams are sponsored by the boat owners company and are written off as advertising expenses?

Quick Reply: Race Teams

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.