Old 05-07-2004, 04:56 PM
T2x
Allergic to Nonsense
Platinum Member

Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally posted by cigarette1
[IMG] http://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/a...&postid=959551[/IMG]

.... it would be one ugly MoFo
Perhaps ...but it would be one fast Mo Fo.......... Of course if gold chains and Fountain jackets are your thing...........

T2x
Old 05-07-2004, 05:01 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally posted by T2x
There's an old adage......that goes something like "I may not be able to cook a great hamburger...but I can sure taste a bad one."

I have looked at a number of West Coast boats over the past decades........ some more closely than others. What I've seen...and I can't think of exceptions.... perhaps there are some..... is a paint job supported by something that floats. Generally they are cut down or modified "pops' of other west coast hulls that weren't very good to begin with. The single supporting dynamic for all this junk is their proximity to, and relationships with, the major performance boating magazines which by default are also their primary advertizing venues.

From a performance standpoint most vee builders , East or West Coast based..are stuck in the rut of trying to "out step" each other...and therefore the West Coast is not as glaringly different on those products. It is the cats, however, where technological excellense and originality are imperatives, that suffer the most in the "dumb downed" atmosphere of West Coast manufacture. While anyone can wedge unlimited horsepower into a bathtub and go fast, that is not the technique favored by the better Cat builders (Skater, Platinum).... Yes the good cats can accept high HP...but they go like hell with modest power as well. On the handling side.....There is no comparison between the left and right coast cats.....nor is there any in rough water either..... The race course proved that long ago.

T2x.......... irresponsibly correct.
I must have misunderstood your post.
I understood you to say "unstable". not less than well built, copies of other crappy boats, bathtubs with go fast motors, or anything else.
I will agree with you on most of those characteristics for MOST boats, regardless of hull design, V or cat, but "unstable" to me infers that, regardless of horsepower or conditions, the boat has come handling characteristics that cannot, under any circumstance, be overcome.

I won't speak of a West coast cat that achieves 10-11% slip. That's pretty good efficiency in my book.
Old 05-07-2004, 05:07 PM
Registered

hmm
what about the crazy pad bottom boats that get squirly as hell due to cant stay on the pad keep falling off i/e chinewalk.?

sorry dont mean to stir chit but really am curious as a freind of mine had a non step late 90'sboat 32 ft that was insane crazy.. in the rough it would do ok in flat water nuts.. at slow speeds 60-70,
thoughts?

i really think it comes down to drive it with your head not yuor balls..........
Old 05-07-2004, 05:11 PM
T2x
Allergic to Nonsense
Platinum Member

Originally posted by Jonas
hmm
what about the crazy pad bottom boats that get squirly as hell due to cant stay on the pad keep falling off i/e chinewalk.?

Any performance boat must be designed and built well, set up and balanced correctly..... and driven skillfully.

One or more of these components is definitely missing in your example above.

T2x
Old 05-07-2004, 05:12 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 36 Likes on 28 Posts

lets see a 41 velocity with twin 1200's...That would be one wild ride in my book
Old 05-07-2004, 05:16 PM
T2x
Allergic to Nonsense
Platinum Member

Originally posted by cowisl
lets see a 41 velocity with twin 1200's...That would be one wild ride in my book
If I'm going for top speed...... that'd be the ticket...... today......

But If I had to drive anything at that speed myself..... I'd build it with a fresh set of Linder's plans...not an existing design.... and a full canopy and safety cockpit.

No offense to Steve Stepp, Reggie, or OL....but monohulls don't belong at Cat speeds

T2x
Old 05-07-2004, 05:21 PM
T2x
Allergic to Nonsense
Platinum Member

Originally posted by SummerObsession
I must have misunderstood your post.
I understood you to say "unstable". not less than well built, copies of other crappy boats, bathtubs with go fast motors, or anything else.
I will agree with you on most of those characteristics for MOST boats, regardless of hull design, V or cat, but "unstable" to me infers that, regardless of horsepower or conditions, the boat has come handling characteristics that cannot, under any circumstance, be overcome.

I won't speak of a West coast cat that achieves 10-11% slip. That's pretty good efficiency in my book.
The W/C cat that hooked at LOTO last year was unstable and over its head...... The two W/C cats that lurched around St. Pete in the 2001 Nationals with one finally barrel rolling....were , in fact, unstable..... Face it, these designs are sophomoric.

As far as efficiency, etc...... you can have great prop slip numbers behind a bathtub........

T2x

P.S. Even the smartest guys have to learn lessons the hard way........ Here's a great designer...who shall remain nameless....showing off the early West Coast hull... that he was duped into racing.

Attached Thumbnails Gladiator flipped in Biscayne Bay...-scan.jpg  

Last edited by T2x; 05-07-2004 at 05:25 PM.
Old 05-07-2004, 05:32 PM
T2x
Allergic to Nonsense
Platinum Member

Originally posted by Fever Mike
What are the boats designs that you believe to be "badly engineered"?
No Thanks....... Can you spell L-A-W-S-U-I-T?..... Do what most readers do...read between my lines.

T2x
Old 05-11-2004, 03:53 PM
Registered

This thread started out with someone trying to find photos of the Cigarette that flipped. Has anyone found any yet?