Like Tree0Likes

Gladiator accident in Biscayne Bay

Old 05-03-2004, 07:37 PM
Registered

My Boats: Donzi Criterion SS, X-18 , 16 OB, Z-235, F-14, Magnum Missile

Quote:
Originally posted by Baja Daze
In between all the other bull****, some facts did emerge in the other thread. I thought this was some definitive info:

BD and PR,

Thanks for the info. I have to agree with FF, how the heck does one do that in the bay? It was windy, but not that rough last week. I run the bay all the time, dont see how it can be done, but apparently it can. The video ought to be interesting watching...

I wonder, was this the one I saw leaving Lipship minus drives today...
Old 05-03-2004, 07:38 PM
Registered

My Boats: 16 Donzi 41 Saber 27 Magnum 35 Chris Craft Commander

Quote:
Originally posted by PokerRunGunT/S
Thanks Baja.

It was funny, I posted the facts to the accident 3-4 times and still people were asking for the facts afterward. I guess they didn't want the truth, only juicy rumors.
You did tease us about video however and never replied as far as I heard. What up with the vid deal? I also heard while we're at it that you were on a 46 skater for the air and sea show? As glh would say " Humor us with specifics".

On a side note he can also be heard occasionally muttering " Give me another heineken, old man." NK
Old 05-03-2004, 07:40 PM
GLH
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

My Boats: Azimut

Quote:
Originally posted by frequentflyer
Douuhh.. Sorry.. I corrected it... So GLH, you have a 42 Tiger right ? In a bay situation, waves close together does it ever feel like you are going to lose control ? Is it something that just happens all of a sudden with no warning ? Never been on a boat that big but my Power Play 25 never feels unpredictable on the bay no matter what the bay has to offer. Albeit, when it's really rough I'll try to keep it at a safe speed. I'm just curious.
I would imagine there was more than just going WOT in a straight line here but this is only speculation on my part.

As for Biscayne Bay I ran that a lot back in the late 80's and early 90's when we had a place on the east coast of FL and have never gotten spanked even when it was nasty and that was with a Fountain 29'. A lot more people have more experience then me on that body of water, the roughest part has always been to me just south of Miami for about 5 miles.

When we ran in February this year with the new rig there was no problems at all and one time was with another 30 rigs for a PR.

My very humble opinion is that most of these people spanked with steps get it within the first few hours of operations, even if they are accomplished boaters with other designs... The Gladiator, that tree climbing Fountain, the ballet dancing Fountain 38 on Winni last year in NH and unfortunately the Top Gun in Myrtle Beach or something close by. Take guys I know like pokedherun/tgts, Mr. Abraham, OSG, spitfire and cigarette1 just to name a few they run their boats like raped apes and and are having nothing but good times to thankfully share with us.

Again my very humble opinion, if and when I get a stepped Cigarette I will handle EXTREMELY carefully in the first 20-30 hours and always keep the lessons learned by others in the back of my mind.

Running in BBay in Feb. It's all good!
Attached Thumbnails
Gladiator accident in Biscayne Bay-000-running.jpg  
Old 05-03-2004, 07:49 PM
GLH
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Nauti Kitty
On a side note he can also be heard occasionally muttering " Give me another heineken, old man."
Occasionally old man. Nahh I say that more often than occasionally, a good use of that word would be;

You fry your engines occasionally.
Old 05-03-2004, 07:53 PM
Registered

My Boats: 1998 Powerplay 25

Thanks GLH... Your Tiger kicks a$$ .. (Just in case I had not mentioned it in the past....) That's a reasonable explaination. I know it took me about that long to be able to "get used to and run" my boat the way it's meant to be run. I have been on small fast rigs before but 25 is the biggest I have run over 80. As my budget grows (hopefully it will continue to do so), I am looking to step up to a bigger rig. I'll keep that "break in" period in mind....

Thanks again...
Old 05-03-2004, 07:54 PM
VIP Member
VIP Member

My Boats: Using LS JR. TG

Quote:
Originally posted by GLH
Take guys I know like pokedherun/tgts, Mr. Abraham, OSG, spitfire and cigarette1 just to name a few they run their boats like raped apes and and are having nothing but good times to thankfully share with us.
Don't forget these two....We've been known to jam the throttles every once in awhile. Just ask OTIS311 . We ran with the "Big Dawgs" to Monty's to ya know! . Good times

LS JR.
Attached Thumbnails
Gladiator accident in Biscayne Bay-91-top-gun3.jpg  
Old 05-03-2004, 07:55 PM
Registered

My Boats: Donzi Criterion SS, X-18 , 16 OB, Z-235, F-14, Magnum Missile

Quote:
Originally posted by Baja Daze
In between all the other bull****, some facts did emerge in the other thread. I thought this was some definitive info:

BD and PR,

Thanks for the info. I have to agree with FF, how the heck does one do that in the bay? It was windy, but not that rough last week. I run the bay all the time, dont see how it can be done, but apparently it can. The video ought to be interesting watching...

I wonder, was this the one I saw leaving Lipship minus drives today...
Old 05-03-2004, 07:56 PM
GLH
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by lucky strike
Don't forget these two....We've been known to jam the throttles every once in awhile. Just ask OTIS311 . We ran with the "Big Dawgs" to Monty's...YET
I meant people with stepped rigs JR.
Another in BBay.
Attached Thumbnails
Gladiator accident in Biscayne Bay-000poker-run-080.jpg  
Old 05-03-2004, 07:58 PM
VIP Member
VIP Member

My Boats: Using LS JR. TG

Quote:
Originally posted by GLH
I meant people with stepped rigs JR.
That's what I figured...Our time will come,
Old 05-03-2004, 09:33 PM
45 Lip Ship / 900 Zul's
Platinum Member

My Boats: Working on something new
Default Hey GL

My very humble opinion is that most of these people spanked with steps get it within the first few hours of operations, even if they are accomplished boaters with other designs... The Gladiator, that tree climbing Fountain, the ballet dancing Fountain 38 on Winni last year in NH and unfortunately the Top Gun in Myrtle Beach or something close by. Take guys I know like pokedherun/tgts, Mr. Abraham, OSG, spitfire and cigarette1 just to name a few they run their boats like raped apes and and are having nothing but good times to thankfully share with us.

I have to agree with you with you GL step bottoms will spank you hard if you are not using your head. I know the boat that rolled It was a 102 mph gladiator Driving By a guy who thinks he knows it all. $hit happens .
He is lucky to be alive & no one was hurt bad.

RICK (OSG)

Last edited by ONESICKGLADIATOR; 05-04-2004 at 12:30 PM.