Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   General Boating Discussion (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion-51/)
-   -   24' Banana Boat - modifications to rear seat (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion/79363-24-banana-boat-modifications-rear-seat.html)

fruitta55 09-16-2004 04:00 PM

Re: 24' Banana Boat - modifications to rear seat

oh, mrv8, I assume thats a v8 on your boat? What type of numbers do you get out of the boat with that setup? I am thinking of going that route in the future insted of going through the hassle of rerigging for twins. And don't worry I have no intentions of racing, so your secrets are safe with me.

Chatim Racing 09-16-2004 05:03 PM

Tommy:

My dad bought the molds from Don A. in 1974/5 - not in the mid 80's.

The hull mold was the Cigarette 24 and the deck mold was the old early 70's style (it used to have teak covering the whole front portion of the deck!) 24. If you search for some other posts on this, you will see some examples of this old style early 70's deck. I don't have a pic of this old style deck at hand but I'll look for it and post later...maybe someone else out there has one?

Don A. had more than one set of hull molds for the 24. In fact, Cigarette redesigned the deck for their 24 sometime later and that model was called the "Firefox". So to answer your question in simple terms, Yes - the 24' Banana Boat and the 24' Cigarette are essentially the same boat with different decks. And yes, I think Hal Halter owned Cigarette in '79 so yes he would have built your friend's boat. Do you have any pictures of that Cig. 24?

Don A. really liked and respected my dad as a racer and friend. He, Bob Magoon, and my dad even had the same special edition Mark Donahue Camaros. To my knowledge, my father was the only person that Don ever sold molds to instead of selling the whole company (i.e. Ted Theodoli & Magnum etc.) In fact, Don allowed my father's employees to come to Cigarette to learn first-hand how to build the boat. I have pictures of them at the Cig. factory learning how to do everything. If you are interested, I can post some of those too - they are pretty cool historically speaking.

I hope this answered your question...

Regards,
Charlie III

SHARKEY-IMAGES 09-16-2004 07:53 PM

Originally Posted by mrv8outboard
here are mine.

MrV8outboard,

Is there any chance of you bringing that boat down to Cambridge, Md Sept 25th & 26th to race in the Single Outboard Boat "SOB" Class? :confused:

That boat must fly huh?

Hope you can make it!

Here is some info on the class: SOB Racing Website

Biggus 09-16-2004 08:52 PM

I used to own the only twin sterndrive 24' Banana "Hells Banana"

It had a pair of blown small blocks and was built like a small bulldozer.

I sold it back in 1995 to a kid from lake Winni in NH

Anyone seen that 'ol beast around?

Air Dog 09-17-2004 10:59 AM

Fruitta55,

Welcome to the Banana Boat Club...

Except for the headlights and the cabin portlights, our boats are essentilly identical.

Were are you gonna cause trouble with your new toy?

I am in Portsmouth, New Hampshire. Not only am I the only Banana Boat, I am the only boat in the area that is not a Sailboat, fishing boat or Lobster boat.

I will take some photos of mine this weekend and post them.

Since I bought my boat 4 years ago I have made many changes.

Some which I have done and I highly recommend is first loosing the smoked black windshield making a race fairing to match the white color of the boat. When I did this I cut down the shape so it wasn't so pointy in the middle. I think it is more astetically pleasing. I then added cigarette style wind deflectors.

Same thing with the cabin door and cabin hatches. They look much better all white.

Along with the name of my boat, I went Bananas and changed everysingle thing on the boat to white, including the rubrail, cleats, chocks, hardware, and all the cushions, the recessed bow lights etc.

Does your new boat have bottom paint? It is hard to tell in the photos.

MrV8,

How goes the paintball business Jeb?

Are you racing in Yarmouth?

Wanna race my boat in MD with me?

Corrado,

Best thing about the Banana is the 6" catwalk either side of the deck. I use it all the time.

Chatim,

Tell your dad thanks for my Boat, I love it...

Chatim Racing 09-17-2004 03:07 PM

Air Dog:

Thanks. You can thank him yourself - he will be in Yarmouth this weekend to watch the race...

Really appreciate all of the kind words everyone has for their banana boats. I love mine too...

Charlie

PS - Am I reading your post right - you are going to race your boat in the SOB race in MD and are looking for someone to race with you???? I'd love to race in that class - sounds awesome!!! Let me know if you can't find anyone and I'd hop on a plane faster than you could say "go"...lol!

SHARKEY-IMAGES 09-17-2004 05:58 PM

Originally Posted by Chatim Racing
Air Dog:
Am I reading your post right - you are going to race your boat in the SOB race in MD and are looking for someone to race with you???? I'd love to race in that class - sounds awesome!!! Let me know if you can't find anyone and I'd hop on a plane faster than you could say "go"...lol!

I think Charlie should run w/ Air Dog and MrV8 bring his boat too! The more boats the better! ;)
Plus, If there is 10 or more boats in the class, Extreme Boats Magazine has offered to do a story on the SOB Class!

Get 'em ready guys!!!

Good Luck!

Air Dog 09-17-2004 09:49 PM

Sharky,

I don't think Jeb (Mrv8) can run since his Banana did not have a blender on the back last time I saw it. Too bad because I bet he would do really well.

Charlie,

As much as I would love to race in SOB, I cannot due to my Airline job. I am leaving Wednesday to drive to Orlando for flight training.
It takes about 2 months of training for the Boeing 727 and it is very consuming time and energy wise, plus if you blow it that ends your job...

When I got the e-mail about the MD races I was jumping up and down and pointing at the computer screen. I love my Banana Boat and I would love to race it, but the timing is just off for this year.

I was out in my boat with a friend on Thursday afternoon. I hit the wake of a large lobster boat at full speed and she landed very softly (the boat that is). I love the deep Vee...

Jeb,

Are you racing your twin V8 monster at Yarmouth?

SHARKEY-IMAGES 09-18-2004 06:37 AM

Too bad Air Dog..... :( :( :(

I would have like to have seen your boat there....

Air Dog 09-18-2004 10:53 AM

Sharky,

Ya, too bad. Thank you very much for the invite though.

All I have is a stock 200hp Mercury so I am certain that my ass would have lots of foot prints on it.

What is the plan for the SOB's. I hope there is future races planned for newcomer idiots like myself.

Air Dog