Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   General Boating Discussion (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion-51/)
-   -   24' Banana Boat - modifications to rear seat (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion/79363-24-banana-boat-modifications-rear-seat.html)

Chatim Racing 05-18-2004 02:36 PM

24' Banana Boat - modifications to rear seat

3 Attachment(s)
I mentioned this modification in another post that looked like it was getting too long so I thought I'd start a new one here with pics.

This is my 1988 24' Banana Boat. It was rigged by Bobby Davis of B & C Marine in Hollywood FL about 7 or 8 years ago. I had him cut the back seat out and build a new one a little further back. The base of the seat actually starts at the back of the fuel tank access panel in the cockpit floor. This allows for a little more cockpit room - much more comfortable. He also added the Armstrong bracket.

I live in Boca Raton and find this boat perfect for Inter-coastal boating and close offshore running (of course I'm a little partial - my dad is Charlie McCarthy - the founder of Banana Boat Co. and offshore racer from the '70's...)

Would love to see what anyone else has done to their 24' Banana Boats...

glassdave 05-18-2004 02:41 PM

Re: 24' Banana Boat - modifications to rear seat

nice boat. that has got to be the way to go down there. i have never been in the intercoastal but i see outboards are the choice there. how fast she run with that setup

welcome to the board by the way

Chatim Racing 05-18-2004 02:54 PM

Thanks. Yeah - outboards are definitely the way to go. Actually this is the second outboard since I got the bracket. I had a '96 Merc 225 on originally and switched to a Yamaha 225 in 2000. It'll do almost 60 with a gallon of gas and no interior...lol.

Thanks for the welcome.

Air Dog 05-21-2004 06:12 AM

Banana Boat Back Bench Beach Baby Bingo...

Chatim,

Thank you very much for posting the photo's.

That is exactly what I am trying to accomplish with my current set up. :drink:

I like how you eliminated the motor well and added a bracket. That is my plan as well.

Do you have any additional transom support? Transoms knees or metal plates?

Any complications that you came across with your project?

Chris

Chatim Racing 05-25-2004 03:48 PM

Air Dog:

Yes - I had transom "knees" only put in and that seems to be adequate all these years. They run from the 2 main floor stringers up the transom. I'll take a pic and post as soon as I can. Didn't really have any problems with the conversion and have put approx. 500 hours on since with no unusual stress cracks etc.

Also if you're interested, PM me a mailing address and I'll send you an original brochure and a copy of the Powerboat Magazine boat test for the 24' Banana from 1976...

boot 05-25-2004 08:43 PM

NIce boat ! Is that the only size they made ? Joe

Air Dog 05-26-2004 10:48 AM

Chatim,

Just sent you a PM.

Looking forward to the transom knee photos.

Last weekend, I met some folks who know you and your Dad. I met Ron and Kerry from Rhode Island. Kerry works at Port Edgewood.

Very nice people. They have a Banana that I looked at for my brother.

Learned a lot about the boats from them. Boat was mint.

On the way home I swung by Port Edgewood. I think I found the Banana Boat Molds?

Hard to tell since they were shrunk wrapped.

Chris

Ron P 05-26-2004 11:03 AM

Charlie McCarthy as in McCarthy's Marine on Rt 70 in Point Pleasant?

Chatim Racing 05-28-2004 10:27 AM

Chris:
Yeah I know Kerry & Ronnie very well - went to high school with Kerry's brother and used to help Ronnie deliver newspapers!! Sending package to you today - I think you'll enjoy.

Ron P - No - no relation to any McCarthy's in NJ.

Air Dog 06-01-2004 04:13 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Chatim,

Thanks for the mail.

I am a total Banana Head. My goal is to completely restore the rest of my boat this winter, and finally add a second motor with a bracket

Do you have a photo of your cabin?