Notices

Tampa Bay area members - advice please

Old 05-26-2004, 01:06 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Default Re: Tampa Bay area members - advice please

Originally Posted by jaybird
I spoke with my realtor today, and he said that I probably didn't want to live near Tampa / Safety Harbor area, as it would take close to an hour to get out to the coast, and that is where the boating action is primarly at. Plus the drive time to a marina too.

Would you agree with that?

Edit: I should also note that we ideally are looking for a 4 bed, 2 bath, 2 car garage pool home in good shape with a place to park the boat / trailer in the yard since I do most the maintenance. Waterfront would be the ultimate, but we are honestly more interested in having a nice house than finding a crap house with water access for the same $$. Unfortunately I don't think our budget will allow both, so if I want to stay married, the roof comes 1st, boat 2nd (but a close 2nd!)
See my post #2...It's exactly what you're looking for!
That's the area where I live and I'm about 500 feet to the bay, 10 minutes from downtown, 20 minutes to the beach. You will find exactly the house you're looking for there, too.

A 4/2/2 on the water is probably going to go for about 450 and up, but off the water, you'll like find one for around 200-250(depending on size) with plenty of room for a boat.

There's a boat ramp 1/2 mile away and a beautiful marina about 10 minutes away.

Look at the map.
Attached Thumbnails Tampa Bay area members - advice please-untitled1.jpg  
Old 05-26-2004, 01:10 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

http://www.stpete.org/nnsho.htm
Old 05-26-2004, 01:23 PM
Charter Member
Charter Member

Received 46 Likes on 31 Posts

I have less than a 2 minute idle zone. The canal we are on is just off of this small bay called Bimini Bay and that leads right to the Gulf Of Mexico.

I guess it depends on your budget. I like the island, the amenities, and the very short run to the Gulf.

Driver - High's Fuel Your Journey Cigarette Racing Team #598
Old 05-26-2004, 01:26 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Baja Daze,

I asked for all the things I mentioned in the areas you said, and the realtor after a MLS search only came back with 1 house that was 4/2/2, needed updating work, not on the water, and around $300k. He said the market is crazy, not much supply for what we want. Said that it is hard to find a lot that you can park your boat on as most homes either don't have enough room, or are in a community that doesn't allow you to do that, so that rules out a high % of them. He seems to be reputable, has spent hours on the phone with us, and sort of is a friend of my wife's family, so I think he is being honest.

Sort of a bummer though, as we don't want to have to be in the sticks.
Old 05-26-2004, 02:39 PM
Banned

Real estate has gone nuts here in the bay area. My little cracker box house has increase 106% in value in the last 7 years. That's why I'm moving to Deland. I got a house on a canal that leads to the St John's river for much less than I could have bought the same house anywhere here in Pinellas County.
Old 05-26-2004, 02:40 PM
Banned

You might want to check out the Ruskin area. I haven't, but I have a feeling property is less there. Still not a bad drive to Tampa, and not that far by boat to the Gulf.
Old 05-26-2004, 02:45 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Hey Jaybird, I'm very surprised...What area does he concentrate in?

We just went through the whole searching process and just bought our current home in February...There are for sale signs all over the place by us. I can count dozens of homes that are either 3/2/2 or 4/2/2 all over our neighborhood...300K is on the high side. There are plenty that are a bit lower. A friend just bought a nice place on the water for 295K...Ya, it's a bit small, but his neighbor just bought his 3/3/1 on the water for 339K, and it's a pretty good size(1800sqf)....There are plenty out there.

We have no problems keeping boats on your lot. The only rule is that it can't be out front, it has to be on the side of the house, no big deal.

Best of luck to you!
Old 05-26-2004, 02:55 PM
Banned

At least that's where I got lucky with the house I'm in now. It's between Largo and Seminole, but actually in the county, so I don't have as many restrictions. Believe me, if I still lived in St Pete, they would throw me under the jail for four boats out front.
Old 05-26-2004, 03:25 PM
Registered

Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts

In my opinion St Pete is where you want to be if you do a lot of boating, Either NE,Tierra Verde, St Pete Beach, Treasure or Mad beach. All the action boating wise is usually south......That not to say we don't run "up yonder" once in a while. There is an OPBA (www.opbafl.org) meeting on thursday if you can attend. There will be more than enough people happy to give you good "boating/housing" info for the area.

I live on St Pete Beach (SPB/TV/Pass-a-grille) which has become somewhat unrealistic (price wise 450-550 sq ft) latley but deals do come up.

You'll love living here.

Maximus
Old 05-26-2004, 05:50 PM
Registered

May want to look at Apollo Beach area, About 15Min. south of tampa by car, A 30Min boat run to the Open Gulf and 10Min. Boat run to Down town Tampa, Starting to have alot of great boat destinations on the tampa side now, St. Pete, Definitely Terra Verde is the place to boat, But like mark says Pricey, Apollo beach much less expensive..

Later

Doug

Quick Reply: Tampa Bay area members - advice please

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.