Like Tree0Likes

Sea Tow?

Old 05-28-2004, 12:17 PM
VIP Member
VIP Member

Default Re: Sea Tow?

Most towing services use an hourly rate from when they leave their dock to when they return. I have seen $100 to $150 per hour.
Old 05-28-2004, 12:35 PM
Registered

Sea Tow “SUCKS”. We crashed our Super Cat Light “How Sweet it Is” in Ft Lauderdale last year. Sea Tow went on to the racecourse (during the race) towed the boat to the wet pits and held it hostage for $15,000.00. After we (with a lot of help from other racers) threatened bodily harm they dropped the price to $2500.00. This was after Sea Tow had a deal with APBA to help out. Did I mention, SEA TOW SUCKS.
Old 05-28-2004, 12:47 PM
Registered

My Boats: 1998 Powerplay 25

Quote:
Originally Posted by getreal
Sea Tow “SUCKS”. We crashed our Super Cat Light “How Sweet it Is” in Ft Lauderdale last year. Sea Tow went on to the racecourse (during the race) towed the boat to the wet pits and held it hostage for $15,000.00. After we (with a lot of help from other racers) threatened bodily harm they dropped the price to $2500.00. This was after Sea Tow had a deal with APBA to help out. Did I mention, SEA TOW SUCKS.
No ****... Bastards... They can do that because of salvage laws right ? I can't believe that..

I use Boat US anyway...
Old 05-28-2004, 12:49 PM
VIP Member
VIP Member

Did APBA have rates set as part of the deal? Looks like your own $119 investment could have saved you $2500.00
Old 05-28-2004, 03:19 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

My Boats: Cigarette 35 Cafe Racer

The charge is over 50 bucks before they even leave their dock...Get the unlimited for 99bucks and your set, no worries.

P.S.
About the captain coverage, yes boat-us insures YOU, not your boat. You can use it on ANY boat that you are CAPTAINING...This means you're covered if you rent, charter or borrow a boat...it does not mean that you can use your membership when you're on your buddy's boat. If the owner is aboard, you can't use it.
Old 05-28-2004, 03:23 PM
Registered
Trade Score: (1)

My Boats: 1982 Pantera 24sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by getreal
I remember that, I was there in the pits, and didnt actually witness it, but word traveled pretty fast.
Old 05-28-2004, 03:29 PM
Registered

My Boats: 1998 Powerplay 25

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baja Daze
The charge is over 50 bucks before they even leave their dock...Get the unlimited for 99bucks and your set, no worries.

P.S.
About the captain coverage, yes boat-us insures YOU, not your boat. You can use it on ANY boat that you are CAPTAINING...This means you're covered if you rent, charter or borrow a boat...it does not mean that you can use your membership when you're on your buddy's boat. If the owner is aboard, you can't use it.
I'm sure if the owner is on board he would be more than happy to be quiet so that you can say you borrowed the boat... Besides, everytime I have been towed I have just been asked for my Drivers license and membership card. They have been pretty cool....
Old 05-28-2004, 03:48 PM
Registered

My Boats: 1988 Cruisers 2800 Rogue

Ive heard that Sea Tow often tries to claim "Salvage rights" on any vessel that may be in danger of being further damaged, such as being near shore, or taking water or rough conditions. Do some research on Boatered.com. Its scary. Ive got Boat US $500 limit. Used it twice, once out of gas, once with blown engine (single).
Old 05-28-2004, 05:42 PM
Registered
Trade Score: (2)

My Boats: DONZI 22 CLASSIC LIMITED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Audiofn
I had boat US's coverage and the one time I needed it I had to get towed in by the coast guard anyhow!!!! I was pissed as I saw the tow boat US on the way out the harbor.

Jon
I've had good luck with BoatUS.
Blown drive,towed for an hr..No charge.

Hey Jon, That was back in the day.When they had boat races on CapeCod.I remember meeting you on the beach right after that.
Old 05-28-2004, 06:38 PM
Registered

My Boats: 1999 Chris Craft,

I have had Boat US ever since I first have owned a boat. With the old boat I used it 2 times (drive both times). New boat used it once for a soft grounding @ night..opps, and just last weekend when blew a hose and fried the motor. Melted the exhaust connection hose at the Y -pipe too and was taking on some water. CG beat the Tow Boat guys there and hung out till they got there. Anyhow, the a towing service is the BEST ~ 100 bucks you can spend. The cheapest any of my towing bills has been was about 200 bucks, Last week alone was 471. (does not take long at $175/hour.). The piece of mind alone is worth it. Good to know the things about SEA Tow, I picked TowBoat because I see more of their boats where I go most of the time, I thought they were comparable. If they pull crap like that to you racers (I am pleasure go-slow guy) then I am glad I do not support them. Fu#king salvage laws.