Notices

baja or checkmate

Old 06-03-2004, 03:00 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default baja or checkmate

i hope to be buying a new boat for next season. its come down to 2 boats. checkmate 25 convincor or 25 baja outlaw. if you guys have any info on which would be a better boat or if you have an idea of anther boat please let me know. im looking at spending under 30. you have to remember im only 23 i dont have alot of money. oh yea if anyone knows someone who would be interested in a 1990 201 four winns liberator with a 350 let me know. thanks.
Old 06-03-2004, 03:55 PM
Registered

Default Re: baja or checkmate

it depends on what you are going to do with the boat. Checkmate will have more cabin room. they both ride about the same in the rough. If you are from Jersey and plan on using it on the Deleware river....there are a ton of 24 and 25 Baja's out there, and not many checkmates. I had a 1997 253 Convincor and loved it. all my friends had Baja's. Both run close speeds with same power. Best mine ran was 80.9 Gps with 560+ hp.

send me some info on your boat....i know someone looking.

[email protected]
Old 06-03-2004, 04:14 PM
Registered

I say the Baja....great looking and performing boat. This is my opinion only.....I think the Baja is a better looking boat. Some of the graphics are awesome......while there are some kinda hideous.
Old 06-03-2004, 04:24 PM
Registered

Received 63 Likes on 28 Posts

Are you looking at new or have you picked out two particular used boats? If the latter, what power?

I would recommend buying used. I bought a new Baja Outlaw 20 last year and I was ready to upgrade after my first ocean run even though I loved the Outlaw. I looked for a boat stretcher but couldn't find one so after only 25 hours I upgraded to a 28 Cig.
Old 06-03-2004, 04:28 PM
Registered

Go to the factories. They are a few minute walk from each other in Bucyrus Ohio. That will make your mind up in a second.
Old 06-03-2004, 04:55 PM
Member #2 ....Jeeezz
Charter Member

With everything being equal ... the Baja looks cooler
Old 06-03-2004, 05:05 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 14 Likes on 3 Posts

Both nice boats. Have you looked at the 24 Pantera? If not you might want to. They are harder to find but they're excellent boats and if you look hard enough and are patient you'll fin one in your price range. Don't rule out the Cigarette 28 either. I have one and I love it. Again, tougher to find but they're out there.
Old 06-03-2004, 05:33 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

hey dave, i never seen a 28 cig. what year is yours, what power. anything you could tell me about your boat.
Old 06-03-2004, 05:41 PM
Gone Fishin'
Charter Member

I like the looks of the Outlaw better. Like it's dash better too... Monster gauges in most of them. If you look at a baja and a checkmate from the front, you will notice that the Baja carries it's beam nearly all the way to the water line. The Checkmate get's noticably narrower as it approaches the water line. I've ridden in both boats, and I own a 24 Outlaw, and the Checkmate seemed to have more side to side movement than the Baja's in rough water, that is, the Baja's seemed to ride flatter.
Old 06-03-2004, 06:16 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Can't go wrong with the Checkmate 251. I don't want to start a war here but the Checkmates seem to hold there value longer.

Quick Reply: baja or checkmate

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.