Like Tree0Likes

Counter Tops

Reply
Old 06-06-2004, 02:06 PM
  #11
Registered
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: Argyle, TX
My Boats: scratching the surface!
Posts: 1,623
Default Re: Counter Tops

MN If you decide to do a tile wathc the grout lines like said. you can also go and do the 12x12 granite pieces with the orunded bullnose on it. Just lay some hardy board down over the existin top cuts with a rock knife set the screw heads flush and use an adheasive under it. smooth top with out tearing out the old tops, use a 1/8 notch trile and spread away evenly. I have a couple of pics from when we did a couple of tops here with the 12x12's that I can email ya. to look at. Just put a good sealer and use a smooth grout in the grout joints. Usually takes a wekeend to do it all start to finish on an average size kitchen. To cut down on the grout joints use the 25x25,s with the bullnose.
JPD Motorsports is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2004, 02:52 PM
  #12
Banned
 
cuda's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2001
Location: Deland, Florida
Posts: 25,191
Default Re: Counter Tops

[QUOTE=MnFastBoat]thanks
just got back from home depot
now thinking of tiling over current counter top
more time consuming, QUOTE]

If you choose tile, pick out a porcelain tile, ceramic tile chips too easily.
cuda is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2004, 09:53 PM
  #13
Registered
 
RebarBox's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Location: Grove, Oklahoma
My Boats: 05' Cobalt 343, 28' Cigarette (sold), 91' Ciglett, 08' Tahoe 215, plus some other crap.
Posts: 1,783
Default Re: Counter Tops

Quote:
Originally Posted by merkruzer
have you concidered concrete tops? Just about any handy homeowner can pull off a relatively simple installation. If you want to get intricate with built in drain boards, inlays, pot holders, and really custom colors look into hiring someone to do it. That is if someone in your area is doing concrete tops, they are hard to find. They are pretty reasonable if you do it yourself but the prices sometimes make granite look cheep on the really custom stuff.
Concrete is great. I did over 100 SF for about $550 and over $250 of that was for stain in which I only used about 1/10th of what I bought (could only find stains in gallon containers) One day to setup and pour, about an hour to stain and about 3 hrs. to seal. 7000 psi product when done. We have had ours for about 4 months now and we love it.
Attached Thumbnails
Counter Tops-dcp_0001.jpg   Counter Tops-dcp_0004.jpg  
RebarBox is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2004, 10:01 PM
  #14
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
 
mcollinstn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2001
Location: tn
My Boats: 1991 F311SR1
Posts: 5,491
Default Re: Counter Tops

If you already have Corian or a solid surface resin style countertop, fixing scratches and bringing it back to looking new is just like what you'd do on your gelcoat. Same process. Just as easy.

Wetsand, then buff. Same materials, same buffer. Only difference is you gotta clean up the kitchen when you're done.
mcollinstn is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2004, 10:07 PM
  #15
Registered
 
Join Date: Nov 2000
Location: Glastonbury, CT
Posts: 891
Default Re: Counter Tops

I just made an office count top for my basement, L shaped 30" wide with 10' and 6' L. Make a template first any inside 90 corners watch out the laminate wants to tear. As for edging you can get a bit for your router that lives a nice edge. Was quoted $700 by Homedepot Cost me about $200 in materials.
boomer is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2004, 12:02 AM
  #16
Charter Member #232
Charter Member
 
Audiofn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2000
Location: Carlisle, MA USA
My Boats: 1979 Formula 302, 99 Formula 353, 81 Donzi 18 2+3 with 454
Posts: 18,379
Default Re: Counter Tops

Quote:
Originally Posted by Formula Outlaw
My wife and I own a kitchen cabinet/resurfacing business here in Sarasota. I have no idea what prices are up there in "Taxachussetts", but down here you can get top grade granite installed for about $ 50.00 per square foot. If you want the hottest thing going in countertops, research "Silestone". It is much more durable than granite and does not ever lose it's "shine", and comes with a blanket 10 year unconditional guarantee. If you have any questions about any type of countertop email me at:
[email protected]
Russ
Check around, the cost of building a house in the NE is slightly higher then it is in Florida. A average 1-2000sqft house in MA is over 450,000 bucks and that is a fixer upper. New construction costs are rediculous. I am working on three houses now that are in the 20-38 million dollar ranges. We can get premium granit for 50 bucks. The color combo that I wanted however was the most expensive granite that I found, so ya want it, you pay for it...

Jon
__________________
Put your best foot forward!
Audiofn is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2004, 06:44 AM
  #17
BajaChick
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: Counter Tops

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcollinstn
If you already have Corian or a solid surface resin style countertop, fixing scratches and bringing it back to looking new is just like what you'd do on your gelcoat. Same process. Just as easy.

Wetsand, then buff. Same materials, same buffer. Only difference is you gotta clean up the kitchen when you're done.
Absolutely correct! Solid surface tops (Corian/Avonite/etc.) are the easiest to maintain, BY FAR! Granite, marble, Formica and tile will chip/scratch and cannot be fixed without major time and $$.

Personally, I would go with solid surface. But you won't be able to do the tops on your own, especially if you go with a one piece integrated sink. If you choose to have it done professionally, don't use a home improvement retailer. Hire someone on your own who fabricates and installs tops for a living. You'll be happier in the end!

Les
 
Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2004, 08:32 AM
  #18
Registered
 
97BossHammer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: Brandon, MS.
Posts: 1,135
Default Re: Counter Tops

If you had the $$, I'd do Silestone......I really liked the product but for our countertops we just couldn't afford to do it all within our budget. We're doing tile. We picked some that requires very little grout. Planning to do the whole dang house tile actually, kitchen, all bathrooms, shower, tub. We picked out several colors for each application. It was basically cheaper for us to tile everything, then to do just silestone in the kitchen.
97BossHammer is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2004, 09:23 AM
  #19
Registered
Trade Score: (1)
 
rchevelle71's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: Boca Raton
My Boats: 1982 Pantera 24sport
Posts: 7,392
Default Re: Counter Tops

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hard On
MN If you decide to do a tile wathc the grout lines like said. you can also go and do the 12x12 granite pieces with the orunded bullnose on it. Just lay some hardy board down over the existin top cuts with a rock knife set the screw heads flush and use an adheasive under it. smooth top with out tearing out the old tops, use a 1/8 notch trile and spread away evenly. I have a couple of pics from when we did a couple of tops here with the 12x12's that I can email ya. to look at. Just put a good sealer and use a smooth grout in the grout joints. Usually takes a wekeend to do it all start to finish on an average size kitchen. To cut down on the grout joints use the 25x25,s with the bullnose.
Ya mean like this????

It was cheap and easy, 12x12 Granite Tiles, the most expensive part was all the Black Bullnose!!! Thanks to Cuda for a few pieces of advice, I did it all myself including the backsplash in one weekend.
Attached Thumbnails
Counter Tops-kit-bar2.jpg   Counter Tops-kit-counter1.jpg   Counter Tops-kit-micro.jpg  

rchevelle71 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2004, 09:31 AM
  #20
Registered
 
Formula Outlaw's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2003
Location: In the Mountains
My Boats: was a 89" Formula 311-SR1
Posts: 11,772
Default Re: Counter Tops

Quote:
Originally Posted by Audiofn
Check around, the cost of building a house in the NE is slightly higher then it is in Florida. A average 1-2000sqft house in MA is over 450,000 bucks and that is a fixer upper. New construction costs are rediculous. I am working on three houses now that are in the 20-38 million dollar ranges. We can get premium granit for 50 bucks. The color combo that I wanted however was the most expensive granite that I found, so ya want it, you pay for it...

Jon
Jon you are so right on "what you want is what it costs". I was over at one of my granite suppliers last month and he showed me this gorgous "sea blue" granite that was $185.00 per sq. ft. Yowsa.........
Formula Outlaw is offline  
Reply With Quote
Reply

Related Topics
Thread
Thread Starter
Forum
Replies
Last Post
Maverick1
Drives and Lower Units
1
06-06-2007 03:20 PM
offthefront
General Q & A
3
02-28-2004 10:38 AM
RJ1340
General Boating Discussion
1
02-24-2004 12:09 PM
Open72
General Boating Discussion
7
01-05-2004 01:40 PM



Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 06:00 PM.


Copyright 2011 OffShoreOnly. All rights reserved.