Potomac Poker run  declining popularity? >

Potomac Poker run declining popularity?

Notices

Potomac Poker run declining popularity?

Old 06-16-2004, 09:27 AM
Forum Regulator
VIP Member

Received 1,195 Likes on 519 Posts
Default Re: Potomac Poker run declining popularity?

Originally Posted by Tarheel
As far as cheap bastards in DC, if Brian paid someone to put up his drywall, then he could have run in the poker run. I guess that second engine in Monsoon is hurting his wallet.

Bill
DOH!! That was harsh! But it was a good one!!
Truth be known, it was my Sister and Brother-in-law's house, and they do so much for me, I felt returning the favor was more important than boating, even though they told me to go out boating.

I have been using Occoquan this year. I used Leesylvania once with the Sonic, and the docks are so short and crappy, (until they rebuild/extend them), that I think it would be very difficult to launch Monsoon basically on my own, (ah, the perils of being single and having a different chick every weekend... yeah right. ). Couple that with how shallow it is there ever since the hurricane; its a lousy place right now. I know they are dredging, and hope it is done very soon, as well as the docks. The no wake zone going into/out of Occoquan sucks; however the ramp is very nice, and not as many ramp antics like at Leesylvania. I am quick at the docks, but most others are not.
Old 06-16-2004, 10:52 AM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by craig223

I know it's killin' me at the pump!!!
Want to try that with triples????
Old 06-16-2004, 11:08 AM
Registered

One of the problems is the disorganization associated with these runs. Not everyone was ready for the way this last run started. Changes to schedule and stops. Me being one. While I personally don't want to take on the responsibility to organize one of these runs it would be nice to be included with the set up and participate in the planning of it. If we are to have a real good run on the Potomac we need to all put our heads together and figure out how to do it.

While a lot of the people participating in the runs are from our area and usually run these same waters every weekend, other are not familiar with the Potomac and seem to believe it is shallow and full of rocks (ie: above Key Bridge, Great Falls). We all know that is not true (unless way off course).

One of the discussions Patti and I have had is an overnight run like the Richmond run. Incorporate most of the length of the Potomac and have a free day (Sunday) to go back and revisit some of the stops. Start in DC, either Georgetown or Ft Washington with stops at say Tim's, Gilligans, Cobb Island, and ending at Tall Timbers for the evening festivities.

We have a great body of water with a lot of good people with great equipment using it. Let's get together and put it on the map.

I agree that advertising and promotions would be the best way to spread the word. Just like we are doing here

Bill

P.S. Thanks to Tim and his crew (Tim's Rivershore's 1 & 2) as well as Art and his staff at Gilligan's Pier and Pirate's Den, Harolly and his marina (Goose Bay), and the staff at Dockside Restaurant, Colonial Beach.

Last edited by 45sonic; 06-16-2004 at 11:17 AM.
Old 06-16-2004, 11:16 AM
Registered

Received 89 Likes on 18 Posts

I wonder if Tim and crew isn't trying to expand it much more. If you think about it, Saturday's crowd wasn't too small or too big from a organizers point of view. (Drivers and crew totaled around 180 I think) Think about 100 boats and 350 people to serve, they would need 3 times the staff at the card stops.

The weather forecast may have had something to do with it as well. It turned out to be a beautiful day, glad the weather man was wrong
Old 06-16-2004, 11:33 AM
Registered

You know, I wonder if all you guys adding 5 and 10 feet to your boat lenght during the winters, switching to twins or trips, and the high cost of fuel has anything to do with it?

All of you would have a sh*t if I told you how much gas my boat took to make that run.
Old 06-16-2004, 11:38 AM
Registered

Come on spill the beans.

We did not do TOO bad. Probably somewhere around $400-500 ???
Old 06-16-2004, 11:41 AM
Registered

Around 50 gallons, and that included the ride to Tims in the morning from Fairview.
Old 06-16-2004, 11:43 AM
Registered

I like 43Thunder's stop suggestions with an overnight stay, I vote for them to organize a Poker Run.
Old 06-16-2004, 03:50 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I can attest from first hand experience, to organize a poker run it takes months of planning and a whole lot of time. Some people want to help, and normally disappear unless you "pay" them.
The larger poker runs takes a staff of individuals working together to pull that off with no or minor glitches. Add kickoff party, breakfast, lunch, dinner (all catered), registration, shirts and giveaways, event insurance, helicopter shots, advertisers and card stops.....and your only part through the game.
For $175.00 for the run....that's what you get...... a $175.00 worth of fun.
As your entry fee increases, so does the prize money, level of "quality" and fun associated, and proceeds to local charities from tickets sold.
Proper Thought, Card Stop Locations, Advertising, and Money Squabbles have always plagued the Potomac River Run over the years.
I think the Hot Boat/Gilligan's is a step in the right direction. You need a major advertiser to help bring the boaters in. Maybe next year we can get the first OSO/Potomac River Poker Run started. Thoughts??
Old 06-16-2004, 04:28 PM
Registered

Beak boater, how have you been runnin'?? Whats the best GPS you have gotten so far? How are the KE 1000's holding up? Post some pics of that bad boy on the Potomac

Quick Reply: Potomac Poker run declining popularity?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.