Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   General Boating Discussion (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion-51/)
-   -   OL vs. Fountain: Time to end the B.S.: (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion/81962-ol-vs-fountain-time-end-b-s.html)

SummerObsession 06-24-2004 10:03 AM

Re: OL vs. Fountain: Time to end the B.S.:

OK, so UIM is the sanctioning body. Fine, if you want an "OFFICIAL WORLD RECORD".

I'm talking about bragging rights for the fastest boat, same day, same venue. I could care less whether it's "Official" or not. :D

Smarty 06-24-2004 10:09 AM

Originally Posted by outer42
ols school,yes it did go the other way alot, and when they beat us i shook there hand and said congrate. when we won reggie wouldn't talk a word to anyone
all in all the best to the foutains guys and any manufacturer that races or poker runs it's all good as long as we're boating and having fun.

EXACTLY! Having fun and being decent to your competitors is what normal people do, and I am glad to hear that is what you did. Not a surprise to hear Reggie wasn't gracious after wins or defeats, at least in congratulating or acknowledging his competitors.

Semper Fi 06-24-2004 10:21 AM

I am so tired of this "pissing contest" bull****. Who gives a **** if Fountain or Outerlimits is faster? Personally, I think the competetion is great for our sport.
You guys friggin kill me like little b*tches when someone attacks your boat brand. Your arguing like kids about a stupid title. How many of us here on OSO can afford a 161mph boat and even handle that??? I venture to say MAYBE a handful of people here on OSO. I have a Powerplay, which everyone knows is a great boat, but the owner has a very bad reputation and alot is going on with them right now....especially on this board. I couldn't care to defend Dan or Powerplay given my experiences with him and his reputation.

Let's face it, powerboating is a very small sport and it doesn't seem to be gaining any more popularity. We ALL need to be more supportive and get our sport to new heights. You guys want to fight and battle it out??..how about fighting the manatee lovers or the tree huggers or something like that which is always attacking our beloved sport.

PhantomChaos 06-24-2004 10:32 AM

Originally Posted by Nauti Kitty
Ya think? :rolleyes:

Very few people on this board have gone out and run in true 8 foot waves. Most would chit themselves if they saw a true 8 foot wave coming at them breaking. An 8 foot wave in the ocean 100 feet apart is not the same as one that is curling on to the deck of the boat. Neither wave is one that anyone on this board is going to run straight into at a high speed. Everytime I hear someone talking about 8 foot waves they were running in I want to get the bs meter but I don't know how.

8 feet is 8 feet everywhere in the world. Large :drink:

8 foot yes......100mph .........NO :D :D :D

http://www.vxi.cc/phantomchaos/images/DSC00343.jpg

http://www.vxi.cc/phantomchaos/images/DSC00339.jpg

outer42 06-24-2004 10:34 AM

phantom, you must of been in that formula to get those pictures.

baja27 06-24-2004 12:17 PM

no he was in outerlimits going 100 mph :-)

outer42 06-24-2004 12:19 PM

No One Said A 100 Mph Smart Ass,learn How To Write A Full Sentence!!!!!

baja27 06-24-2004 12:38 PM

If I write a full sentence, you will not be able to read it !!! :-) Unless of course your doing a 100mph in 8 foot seas!!!!

JUSTONCE 06-24-2004 12:42 PM

popcorn please,
Chaos, is that from your sunseeker?

outer42 06-24-2004 12:43 PM

i don't know who you are,but go back and read this thread and all i said was race in 6 to 8 footers!!!!!!! LEARN THE FACTS BEFORE YOU BUST BALLS,YOU'RE NOT GOOD AT IT!!!!!!!!
ASK JOE SGRO,BOB OLIVER, AND MANY OTHER RACERS ABOUT THAT RACE HOW BIG IT WAS!!!!

PhantomChaos 06-24-2004 12:46 PM

1 Attachment(s)

Originally Posted by JUST ONCE
popcorn please,
Chaos, is that from your sunseeker?

:D :D :D Nope.....that there is Formula water! :D

We were on the way back from Santa Barbara going to Channel Islands Harbor. As you can see....it was a fun ride!

Photo from the SCOPE poker run last year. :D

baja27 06-24-2004 12:55 PM

Outer , I guess I'm good at busting your balls, because your panties are in a bunch! Take a breath of fresh air and it will be ok!!! :-) Have a good weekend!
Ps: Keep it under a 100mph
Just Kidding!

outer42 06-24-2004 12:57 PM

No Not In A Bunch,state Facts And Bust Away!!!!!!! I'll Be Running A 125 This Weekend In The Bay On The Way To Ac!!!!!!!!!

JUSTONCE 06-24-2004 12:58 PM

Originally Posted by PhantomChaos

We were on the way back from Santa Barbara going to Channel Islands Harbor. As you can see....it was a fun ride!

Nice shot hangin it out there :drink:

FunHome 06-24-2004 01:04 PM

I hear ya, Summer O!! These guy's are missing your point!! The Shootout would be awesome if they both showed up!!

The Shootout started because of "Bragging Rights" and has grown into one of the biggest events of the year!!

388Hustler 06-24-2004 01:12 PM

I personally would like to see them go head to head. This is about top speed in a straight line. The motocross bike is actually a good comparison because they do drag race them all the time as well as motocross. Have you guys ever seen dirt drags? They are pretty cool to watch.

A quick question for all you hard-core, 8 foot sea, "offshore" guys.

Where do you think the majority of these offshore style boats are being run? I know there are a lot of guys that run in the ocean, but I think there are more on inland waterways. Even if I'm wrong, there are still thousands of us that don't run in the ocean. I have run the big water before and quite frankly, I'm not crazy about beating my boat and myself to death. Just my opinion and I know everybody has one...

Dean

outer42 06-24-2004 01:18 PM

388hustler, Excellent Point.

Hauling Trash 06-24-2004 02:25 PM

Originally Posted by Qball
I have 2 questions....these are not intended to be controvercial so do not read into them.
1. What Hp did each boat have during their speed runs?
2. What was the weight of each boat after the speed runs?

Fountain had 1290 hp , OL had 1450 hp ,Both had sterlings motors in them

The weight of the Fountain is 10,080 lbs , I do not know the weight of the OL.

Mike

outer42 06-24-2004 02:50 PM

nice edit,try again

SummerObsession 06-24-2004 03:04 PM

Who cares? Use as much HP as you want. It's STILL all about who is faster at the radar trap.

If you give them rules, they will cheat anyway.

Jonas 06-24-2004 03:22 PM

Originally Posted by outer42
SUPER, OUERLIMIITS ARE OFSHORE BOATS ASK REGGIE WHEN WILD CHILD AND ME LAPPED HIM AND JUNIOR IN MIAMI IN 6 TO 8 FOOTERS??????
I'm sure mike would run reggie anywere, on the other hand reggie needs his own rules and venue!!!!!!

man, u are wound tight,,,
they are both badass way to fast boats for any regular mortal to ever be able to handle, it would be like selling f1 cars to the public. and taking em to the dragstrip,,

isnt this suppoesd to be fun
i do agree that they should be running in the rough! offshore race boats?? if not why not have miss budwieser show up again?
my o2

jawbreakerkid 06-24-2004 03:24 PM

I agree w/ SummerO. you can take your sanctioning bodies and do what you want with them. the Lake Rescue Shootout was originally meant to prove or disprove a few people's "top end" speed claims. the Fountain vs. Outerlimit saga is nothing but a top end speed competition. so why not bring your fastest setup (whatever it may be) and see who walks away the winner? if you get beat this year, go back to the shop and make sure you don't get beat next year!!!!!!! what SummerO was referring to wasn't offshore racing world championships, it is about bragging rights to who has the fastest boat........period!!!! :D

Chad

spitfire1 06-24-2004 03:32 PM

Nort.....was that when the headliner came down???? Nice pic by the way......

Hydrocruiser 06-24-2004 03:39 PM

I don't understand any of this sanctioning stuff and I don't see Reggie's point of view. This thread did not clear up my questions.

Jonas 06-24-2004 03:50 PM

we missed scope last year but the year before the day before the p run we came back from newport around 5-6 pm,, Holy chit its the roughest i have been in.. (in a powerboat) got wet and our asses kicked in a 35 fountain.
we get back and everyone said u dumbazz u never leave newport after 2 or 3.. DOH!!!
quartering seas i bet the rollers were 5 footers with windchop on top of that,, tabbed, drives tucked and everyone holding on..
my buddy broke his back that year in a 38 formula about an hour before we went thru.. that chit is serious.. if u are in a race boat with wrap around bolsters, no passsengers, lifelines, helmets, choppers and medics that would be differnt...
phantom / nort do u remember that day when mike mcguire broke his back?
how bid would u say those were that day if u remember..

Hauling Trash 06-24-2004 03:57 PM

Originally Posted by Hydrocruiser
I don't understand any of this sanctioning stuff and I don't see Reggie's point of view. This thread did not clear up my questions.

I hope this works

Fountain ran a Kilo run that was sanction by SBI

Outerlimits ran a speed run that was sanction by NPA (a poker run club)

PhantomChaos 06-24-2004 04:32 PM

Jonas......yep! I remember. Gary (Cig1) and I went out just after you, and we saw you guys out there. I broke a latch on my bathroom, but nothing else. It was pretty snotty out but I'm not sure how big. When we pulled in, you guys had just dropped off your buddy with the compressed back. He should have been standing (I understood he was sitting????).

http://www.scopeinfo.com/images/2002...n/DSC01493.jpg

97BossHammer 06-24-2004 04:37 PM

got a question and a dumb one maybe but I don't know..........

Why didn't outerlimits just run an SBI sanctioned kilo just to set the record?

I hear people going back and forth about how the outerlimits run shouldn't count as the record since it wasn't sanctioned by a "race" type organization......just a little confusing to me.

Jonas 06-24-2004 04:42 PM

wow u even had a pic,,,,
yes the big goofball was...
he is down there for catalina now doing a big bbq.. go say hey and get a good feeding..
say i sent u... : )
ps that is the boat with the arnesons on it now...

cigarette1 06-24-2004 05:47 PM

Originally Posted by 97BossHammer
got a question and a dumb one maybe but I don't know..........

Why didn't outerlimits just run an SBI sanctioned kilo just to set the record?

I hear people going back and forth about how the outerlimits run shouldn't count as the record since it wasn't sanctioned by a "race" type organization......just a little confusing to me.

You're missing the point .... it ain't about no stinkin' record

It's about who is the FASTEST !!!!

Steve 1 06-24-2004 05:53 PM

I like the Ny run Heads up!! Builder against Builder lets see HOW FAST ARE YOU Period no rules..You see no one can cheat that way ROFLMAO

If Reggie wants to compete in the Lotto he will need a Skater Built or OL Built to run with the big guys..

Downtown42 06-24-2004 10:27 PM

Fun isn't it?? :argue: :blaster: :eek: :D :drink:

h2owarrior 06-24-2004 10:41 PM

Originally Posted by formulaz583
Let me make sure I understand what everyone is yelling about. Reggie ran 160.394, and Mike ran 161.29. That is a difference of .896. LESS than 1 mph. WTF cares about 1 mph in million dollar boats?
Reggie ran his on a timed course, and Mike ran his on GPS. Did I miss something, or aren't kilo runs all supposed to be timed over a kilo?

What is really interesting is the Fountain was less that 1mph slower with 150 less hp (1300 for Fountain and 1450 for OL) :rolleyes:

Outer42.....why do you have such disdain for Reggie ?

Ron P 06-24-2004 11:39 PM

All anyone can ask is that they both run under the same conditions on the same measured course, using the same timing gear on the same day. That's known as a level playing field.

Reggie's no dummy, he likes to have things in his favor. Whereas Mike Fiore just wants the opportunity to run against him in level playing field. Is that so wrong?

Who ever wants to win will just need to bring a bigger gun or have better aim.

timewarp 06-25-2004 01:03 AM

I agree it would be nice if they met on an even playing field. The only problem is if they meet at the shootout it still won't prove who has the fastest V-hull, it will only prove who can accelerate the fastest from a standing start, which may or may not be the fastest boat. I think it would be cool if they both were at the shootout but that still won't answer the question.

kwb 06-25-2004 01:32 AM

Stupid and redicules test - unless they are just testing ONLY their hull efficiency and both builders used the same exact engine / drive under the same conditions. That would be interesting.

Otherwise put 10,000HP Top fuel motors in anything and run the 1/4 mile at 200+mph... who cares? Dumb...

knotpropr 06-25-2004 07:30 AM

The wealthy have always done things over and above and when they find a new playground, they go for it. Love it or not, they are pushing things harder and farther than ever before and it will help all in the long run with better built, more efficient equipment and designs. Look what happened to bikes, simular situation - kick-azz harley is now $80k (give or take). :rolleyes:

SHARKEY-IMAGES 06-29-2004 09:58 PM

Originally Posted by formulaz583
Let me make sure I understand what everyone is yelling about. Reggie ran 160.394, and Mike ran 161.29. That is a difference of .896. LESS than 1 mph. WTF cares about 1 mph in million dollar boats?
Reggie ran his on a timed course, and Mike ran his on GPS. Did I miss something, or aren't kilo runs all supposed to be timed over a kilo?

Kilo Record: The average of two passes on a given "kilo" course. One pass in each direction.

Reggie's new V-Bottom World Speed Record is "NOT" 160.394 mph

Although they would like you to think that is the number with it being in big bold print in the advertising.

The record that he has established with the SBI sanctioning body is:158.705 MPH

Congrats to Fountain for achieving this venture.

Outerlimits on the other hand set an average speed of 161.29 mph in a certified speed trial sanctioned by National Powerboat Association. A former racing association which now hosts Poker Runs.

Now as I said in the past, I too would like to see both companies line up on a UIM sanctioned course. That is truly a "World Championship Challenge" Perhaps Fabio could bring something along as well?

It would be real interesting to see some competition from Europe get into the mix. :drink:

Hydrocruiser 06-30-2004 02:35 PM

The way I see it OL and Fountain both ran very close to 160mph. They are tied. Both hulls are equal taking HP into consideration. One is not faster than the other. TIED!!

That's why they are so ticked!

Being tied is torture to these guys! They can't live with that!

Steve 1 06-30-2004 02:37 PM

But who built the Fountain ?? Was that a Skater Built boat??