Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > General Discussion > General Boating Discussion
Who makes the best blower/supercharger? >

Who makes the best blower/supercharger?

Notices
View Poll Results: Who makes the best blower/supercharger?
The Blower Shop
17.52%
BDS
9.70%
Mooneyham
2.70%
Dyers
0.54%
Weiand
1.89%
Holley
1.08%
Littlefield
5.93%
Whipplecharger
43.40%
Procharger
11.86%
Vortech
5.39%
Voters: 371. You may not vote on this poll

Who makes the best blower/supercharger?

Old 09-07-2006, 02:21 AM
Registered

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Re: Who makes the best blower/supercharger?

Originally Posted by JCPERF
How about EGTs?
Far lower than I've seen on a Chevy style engine for the power level, were around 1350deg f at 1450hp, about 250 deg f less than anything else tested. I can say that they were suprisingly low, very suprisingly low. I expected the power/torque, but not the EGT's to that degree.

More motor combos will also show more results, so we'll see in the future, but it's certainly better than anything we've tested, even out performs the quad rotor which already out performed the PSI. I'm very excited about this SC, it's my baby

Thanks,
Dustin
Old 09-07-2006, 02:26 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by Byrdman
I like boost....some of my people do not like boost and give me horse crap excuses...I am getting very tired....what is the most boost you would like to see in a boat motor...of course it has to live......not blow up like some of this boards biggest talkers have done.....the motors must live in a boat....all the big boys here blow up....then blame it on something else.....when it was just a misfired gamble of timing fuel and boost....nice
I think this would really depend on the objected power level, price of engine, componets available, what type of boating, etc. In general, on 1000+hp engines, I like to see nothing LESS than 10lbs of boost for pump gas. I like to see approx 14lbs for pump gas, max boost level. Race gas setups are far different, I have no problem turning them up to 20lbs and yes, I feel they (engines) will live in a marine envoirnent with very hgh boost levlels ,but require very low compression ratios, a good exhaust flowing head with the right piston, cylinder head combo, as well as camshaft design.

Thanks
Old 09-07-2006, 10:25 AM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

VERY nice stuff Dustin, I can't wait to get a pair of them in the new boat. I talked to Mark down at the shoot-out and I guess I will have arm wrestle Richie to get the first set.
Mark seemed excited about them as well. How is the Throttle body coming, I heard that KE was also working on a pretty slick one for this set-up.
Congrats and I can't wait to get a pair.
Old 09-07-2006, 12:39 PM
Rob
VIP Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Whipple Charged
Rob,
The tensioner is bolted to the front of the SC front cover via a billet 2 piece bracket that goes to 4-points on the front plate and around the drive snout. It was run with 8mm setup, with the idler off the drive snout. Used a blower shop 6.9" drive snout, coupler and idler pulley. So it will work either way, but the serpentine setup is very sexy!

As for the intercooler, the SC has a 2" plenuem below the triangle discharge port, we use the bottom plate to direct the air where needed for proper distribution. The entire bottom is open to the intercooler. The one we used is the MOAC, which is 1" thicker than what you have and it has 2 more inlet/outlets. Works really good with this plenuem on the bottom, allows it to adapt to a standard 4.1" roots opening, modified roots at 5" or a Whipple intercooler, single core or our double billet which is 8" wide.

Thanks,
Dustin

Thanks Dusting for the reply
2 inlets and 2 outlets in just one core? I guess you are trying to get more water flow thru it?

Thanks
Rob

The Only Time You Have To Much Ammo Is When Your Swimming Or On Fire.
Old 09-07-2006, 06:16 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 87 Likes on 35 Posts

Originally Posted by mikes280
would you like to see my dino sheets on a 540 with a single 3.3 whipple try 1067 hp at 5700 and 1128 ft. lbs. one 1180 cfm carb

WHAT COMPRESSIOM AND WHAT GUTS ARE IN THE ENGINE
Old 09-07-2006, 06:26 PM
SB
Registered

Received 3,133 Likes on 1,410 Posts

This is one of the best threads I've read in a very long time.

Thank you to everyone involved !
Old 09-07-2006, 07:41 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by 42MTI
VERY nice stuff Dustin, I can't wait to get a pair of them in the new boat. I talked to Mark down at the shoot-out and I guess I will have arm wrestle Richie to get the first set.
Mark seemed excited about them as well. How is the Throttle body coming, I heard that KE was also working on a pretty slick one for this set-up.

I think I'm going to have to wait to see your paint job, I heard it was kinda boring I got you on my list still, looking at it right now, your number 3 and 4, sadly, you can't be 1 and 2, because I'm 1 and 2

I think to be fair, I'm going to have to send numbers 3,4,5,6 all at the same time, you can have 3, Richie can have 4 and 5, and you get 6. Everybody is equal

Heard the boat looks awesome, can't wait to see it.

Thanks,
Dustin
Old 09-07-2006, 07:45 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by Strip Poker 388
Thanks Dusting for the reply
2 inlets and 2 outlets in just one core? I guess you are trying to get more water flow thru it?

Thanks
Rob
Rob,

Yup, were passing far more water, it's also going in on the bottom and exiting the top, which helps take any air out of the system during low psi water flow levels. It's broken up into 4 chambers now vs. 2 previously. There are some other changes as well, larger air passages, smaller water ports, more fpi on the water side. Overall, it has lower psi drop and increased cooling. This of course depends on the boost level, but it's better.

Dustin
Old 09-07-2006, 07:46 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by 42MTI
Forgot to answer, throttle body is pretty trick, progressive linkage, small blades for off idle, big blades for high flow, oversized flame arrestor, 10 injector ports, oversized bypass valve.

Thanks,
Dustin
Old 09-07-2006, 09:31 PM
Registered
Platinum Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by RichardCranium572
Boost is just a restriction of airflow
Lookie lookie who i brought out of the bat cave....I know boost is a restriction ...you are going to be very proud of me and my build out.....thanks for all the info last year..I incorporated many of your thoughts in my piece....it has been a long time....I knew you were lurking around....nice!..

Quick Reply: Who makes the best blower/supercharger?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.