Notices

Herring Props.....

Old 07-16-2004, 07:21 AM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: Herring Props.....

The Hering props are a fine piece of craftmanship, no doubt about it. As with any boat and set-up the Herings are not always the best prop on a paticular boat. Especially boats that require some bow lift. The Herings have the same rake angle as the Hydromotive Quad IV and P5. Thus it tends to lift the stern. The more blades the greater the stern lift.

We have done a lot of testing with the P5X. This is a bow lidting prop with a rake angle similar to that of a Bravo 1. Out of the box, stock, it is the best running 5 blade we have found yet, I consider Hering props as lab finished. When stock it has a 1 year warranty. If you have any questions or would like to try a pair, we have some test props, give us a call.
Old 07-16-2004, 07:25 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Ermmm, Jeff you know I know you're a knowledgeable guy and all that but two things:

1. In my experience, blades flying off usually has nothing to do with the prop itself (unless it's a Mercury prop which are thin and light but at least they're cheap and fast). Usually there is a problem elsewhere, causing vibrations (not necessarily perceived by the driver) and moments of force outside of prop design parameters.

2. Why did you have anything engraved on an expensive set of props? If this process does not fragilize what is a fragile piece of equipment, then even the slightest uneveness on the surface is enough to cause unexpected stress on the blades, stress which was unaccounted for during the design and manufacturing process.

This is why even the slightest ding in the blades should be repaired immediately otherwise prolonged use may cause further and unrepairable damage.

Props may feel all heavy and look tough but are actually fragile things designed for only one purpose. They are not meant to bounce around in the back of trucks, have any sort of engraving done on them...
Old 07-16-2004, 07:29 AM
Registered

What about the merc Maximus five blades, I have had some 30's labbed and traded them in on 28's labbed (by Merc) and have only received one so far but these things are gnarly the sure seem to hook up well with what ever x you are running the higher the better and they still hook.
Old 07-16-2004, 08:49 AM
Charter Mod
Charter Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Spitfire1
Who's running them.....how do you like them??? I am thinking of replacing my Bravo 1's on the Gladiator.......but damn....these props are pricey....
Hi Rich,

The 6 Blades didn't work for me. The boat picked up alot of midrange, and shot out of the hole like a rocket. I lost 6 mph on the top end and could only turn 4900 rpm's though. Personally, I am more interested in the top end on my boat. I was depressed that they didn't work because they are a sweet addition to have, but oh well.
Old 07-16-2004, 09:01 AM
Registered

we used 6 blades only for patrol boats which carry about 7000 lbs. of equipment. top end not as important as acceleration and ability to carry that load at cruising speed. with four engines and four drives, the maximum speed was achieved with 5 blades inside and 4 blades outside. 4 blades on all four drives produced too much vibration, especially with full tanks (700 gallons).
Old 07-16-2004, 09:05 AM
Registered

Has anyone ever tried a Hering 4 blade on a single 27-30 footer ??

Last edited by Chris288; 07-16-2004 at 12:01 PM.
Old 07-16-2004, 09:09 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by PokerRunGunT/S
Hi Rich,

The 6 Blades didn't work for me. The boat picked up alot of midrange, and shot out of the hole like a rocket. I lost 6 mph on the top end and could only turn 4900 rpm's though. Personally, I am more interested in the top end on my boat. I was depressed that they didn't work because they are a sweet addition to have, but oh well.
Hey Brandon.....I agree.....hate to lose any speed but the cavitation I am now experiencing out of the hole is unacceptable to me.....especially with full fuel ....so if I lose a couple of mph it would be worth it to me...some good info coming out on this thread......keep it coming!!!
Old 07-16-2004, 10:06 AM
Registered

I know someone very close that has tried to contact Hering about props and can not seem to get a response. Anyone have a good way to contact them. The answer machine doesnt seem to do it.
Old 07-16-2004, 10:32 AM
Registered

bob teague stocks them i think.
Old 07-16-2004, 11:16 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by dreamboater
I know someone very close that has tried to contact Hering about props and can not seem to get a response. Anyone have a good way to contact them. The answer machine doesnt seem to do it.

I called them three times several months ago and no answer and no returned calls. I called them again this week and no answer and no return calls.

360 659 4315

Quick Reply: Herring Props.....

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.