Notices

Turbo Diesel Powered

Old 09-15-2004, 07:55 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: Turbo Diesel Powered

I will be anxious to see that application noted above.

I was in the Dominican Republic a few weeks ago and chartered a private go-fast that had been converted into a cventer console ( think it was a Corsa). It was about 28' and had the Mercury diesel in it with a Bravo. While the captain didnt have the boat propped for speed he still told me that he had had no problems and had run 1,000 hours already. He was running about 4 gallons per hour which explained why it cost only $100 to charter the boat for half a day. It was only about 250 or 275 horsepower.
Old 09-15-2004, 08:46 AM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 30 Likes on 15 Posts

Im very interested in diesel applications, especially higher hp motors. The only problem I'm having is the speed loss, it's hard getting out of a gas motor application knowing you can do 80-84mph all the time with just twin reliable 750hp motors, and then going to the new diesel Yanmar 500hp motors to maybe low to mid 70's. I could possibly handle mid to upper 70's, I just want my cake and eat it too. Jeff
Old 09-15-2004, 09:01 AM
www.weismann.net
Gold Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Jeff,
Did you sell your 43 vee yet?
Stern drives are the way to go on a stepped vee. The production of the Yanmar was delayed this year on the 440 and they will not have any until Jan. Are you planning on staggard or side by side? There is a big difference on the cg of the boat with tripples vs twins and the side by side vs staggard or in-line. There are several things to look at with the whole application.

I should be in your neighborhood soon (if you guys don't float away in the storm) I will stop by. Good luck with Ivan.
pat W
Old 09-15-2004, 09:24 AM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 30 Likes on 15 Posts

Hey Pat, hows it going. I didn't sell it yet, just 1 low, low offer. I am wanting to go with another 4300, I love the boat, if doesnt sell, a good winter project will be your drives on this boat. But then I will have to do something to the motors as well, maybe a Whipple or two Storm is heading right for MS, I'm getting kind of nerveous, I better start drinking now Take care Jeff
Old 09-15-2004, 06:59 PM
ultimate v

Jassman I agree totally.. diesels are on the way in.. just finished a 32. pachanga with 315 yanmars and new bravos right out of the box almost 60 mph .. but the cruising is what the customer was looking for 55mph burning 8-9 gals an hour.. not bad considering he gets fuel delivered to his house for under $1.40 a gallon.. got close to 50 hours on my 36' Spectre w/ canopies 440 yanmars bumped up a little. XR w/ sportmaster lowers 2 speed transmissions ..running right at 100 needing more prop. but still only burning less than 15 gals an hour of that $1.40 a gal stuff.. and cant forget about that 2000 hour warranty which they come with ..current project last years
FLOWMASTER 40' skater is being converted into what should be the ULTIMATE PLEASURE BOAT TWIN 500HP yanmars 2 speed trans, coupled to a #6 with herring skegs full magic bus electronics system.. lots of extras .. any questions .... will keep informed of progress

Old 06-28-2005, 01:49 PM
Registered

Platinum Member

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hey Guys
Just to wet your appetite a little. We are prototyping and testing a current V-8 electronic twin tubo diesel motor that will be 500HP+ -750+ torque and will run thru a semi-automatic 2 speed tranny and a bullet proof outdrive. The whole package weighs about 1450 lbs with closed cooling and will fit in most boat engine compartments. Will obvoiusly cost more than gas engine package, but when you consider mileage, crusing range and engine life it will be attractive to many, including those damn insurance companies! Should push most performance hulls equal to about 550HP gas and get a lot better mileage.I can't discuss specifics now but it should be ready for market in about 9 months. I'll keep you posted when I can discuss more.
Ray @ Raylar - "Where innovation fuels applications"

So do you have an update Ray?
Old 06-28-2005, 02:29 PM
Banned

There are 3 companies right now working on 700-800hp prototype deisel application in marine use. by the end of the summer I think deisels and turbos will be the next generation of marine power on high horsepower applications.
Old 06-28-2005, 02:37 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Everyone talks about how diesels have too much torque for a Bravo drive and you have to use a tranny. If you are going to use a tranny can you make it an overdrive and reduce the torque to the drive and use more normal pitch props?
Old 06-28-2005, 03:53 PM
Registered

I met a lady in Melbourne with a 50' (or so) Nortech with triple Yanmars. I think she was from Tennessee.

She had the boat trucked from Tenn to Ft. Meyers, came across the Lake and up to Melbourne to visit family. In fact she stayed on the boat for most of her visit here--like weeks.

When the lady left here the plan was to run offshore to FTL for some warranty work then have boat taken back to Tenn by transporter.

She said she was going to be able run from Sebastion Inlet to FTL at 80MPH in 3-4 seas. She set up autopilot and radar, warmed up the 3 Yanmars (and the genset for the AC) and off she went.

Beautiful boat and a very impressive lady to take all that on.

Last edited by Poorsche; 06-28-2005 at 03:55 PM.
Old 06-28-2005, 05:39 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Outerlimits runs a pair of CAT 3116 w/ arnesons and 2 speed tranny's over 75 mph. It is the CATS meow..... Nice set up if you run a ton of hours. Paul Fiore used to commute to long island from rhode island.

Quick Reply: Turbo Diesel Powered

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.