Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   General Boating Discussion (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion-51/)
-   -   '93 Top Gun-reasonable price (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion/83529-93-top-gun-reasonable-price.html)

scottsumrall 07-21-2004 09:00 PM

Re: '93 Top Gun-reasonable price

Originally Posted by Ironmanwb
Hey thedonz

What do you think my friend's cig is worth? It is pretty clean from what I remember and was well cared for. It has about 225 hrs decent trailer and a full cover. He just want's to get rid of it now, what should he ask/take for the boat. He won't give it away ( I already asked) but he will work with people. It's never seen salt or a dock for more than a few days. Located in Ohio.

what drive train does it have and what year is it.

thedonz 07-21-2004 09:07 PM

Originally Posted by Ironmanwb
Hey thedonz

What do you think my friend's cig is worth? It is pretty clean from what I remember and was well cared for. It has about 225 hrs decent trailer and a full cover. He just want's to get rid of it now, what should he ask/take for the boat. He won't give it away ( I already asked) but he will work with people. It's never seen salt or a dock for more than a few days. Located in Ohio.

Ironman,

Like Vonbongo and Lucky Strike said, it is the condition of the hull and hardware that determine the price range. I have seen what's listed and what's sold. As an example a very clean, freshwater '94 with updated guages,throttles, and interior, 502s with 250 B & M blowers with superchillers and low hours, bravos with IMCO gears, hydraulic steering, swim platform, full cover, and tri-axle trailer recently sold for $82k (started months ago in OSO for $119k). There are many factors to look at as far as condition, updates, hardware, etc. Most boats these days take forever to sell. If the wait isn't a factor, then a higher listing price may procure a buyer once the less expensive boats are sold and the supply is consumed. If time is a factor, then aggressive pricing is more important. Most buyers know that no matter what boat you buy, you will need to do some work to it most probably. The hardware needs re-freshing periodically; most important is to have a solid foundation. Good luck

thedonz 07-21-2004 09:18 PM

Originally Posted by Nykamp
Donz what motors and who built them will have alot to do with the price also when was the last time the drive train was gone thru and by who would affect price. Big power with speedmasters is a great set-up, I have owned a couple of boats like that, my buddy put bigger power in his bravo boat and has lost drives and weekends 5 out of the last 6.

Nykamp,

I agree completely. Motors from reputable engine builders will increase the value of a boat. Big power and Bravos just don't mix; the drives will fail, its just a matter of when, especially on a heavy boat such as a TG or Apache, whether glass, carbon, or kevlar, accordingly Speedmasters increase the value. Of course the condition of the equipment will affect all of the above.

C M R 07-21-2004 11:35 PM

IronMan
I know what boat your talking about sits up on st rt 53... My father and I borded that boat a few weeks ago to check it out.. Seemed clean needed a little bit of work.. The trailer it rest upon is that the one it comes with? Also what is the top speed with the 454's??

David

Downtown42 07-22-2004 06:52 AM

Low 60's mph....slow boat to China

BLee 07-22-2004 08:32 AM

There is a difference between someone running their boat hard, and neglect. EVERY performance boat has been ran hard at some point. No one buys a Cigarette or any other performance boat and can say they have never ran over 40mph in it's life.

A person who regularly changes the oils, flushes the boat (salt water), and doesn't cut corners on maintenance can run their boat as hard as they would like. It will be just as good as someone elses that claim they have "babied" theirs, maybe better.

These boats NEED to be ran, and ran hard from time to time. Thats what they are built for, and I mean the engines and drivetrains. Things dry up, stiffen, and eventually crack or break when they get no use. I have been on boats where the owner swears he barely runs the boat, and damn near everything has to be replaced from being old and fragile.

Instead of worrying about if someone liked running their boat fast, worry about how and who maintained the boat. There is where you will find your diamond in the rough.

I would rather buy a boat from someone who ran it often, rather than hardly at all.

IDRPSTF 07-22-2004 09:02 PM

There is a difference between someone running their boat hard, and neglect. EVERY performance boat has been ran hard at some point. No one buys a Cigarette or any other performance boat and can say they have never ran over 40mph in it's life.
I hear that one!
The four must do's in buying a High Perf. Boat
1. Get a Survey from someone that knows about High Performance boats (Not just someone the bank sends out).
2. Have both engines checked out (Leak Down, Compression tested, Check Risers etc.)
3. Find out what the boat is actually worth (Ask Brokers what simalar boats have sold for. Brokers Know more about boat prices than sellers)
4. Figure out what its worth to you.
Odds are you are going to own the thing for a few years. Do you like the paint? Interior color? Engine package? Do you want or need to change anything?
Buy a boat like buying a vacation home, not a car. The purchase should be fun and exciting, but targetted towards future use and enjoyment, not just dollars saved on the purchase.

Okay, Im stepping down from my soapbox for the night.

bobl 07-22-2004 09:35 PM

One of my customers has a '92 38TG with fresh 1000HP Tyler Crockett engines & #5 drives he's trying to sell. I was just out on Lake Travis doing some tuning on it. Pretty nice ride at 100! It's advertised in the back of Power Boat magazine. Might be worth making him an offer.

J-Bonz 07-23-2004 10:59 AM

Bobl,

Is This Boat Posted On The Net Anywhere?

Downtown42 07-23-2004 11:22 AM

Originally Posted by bobl
One of my customers has a '92 38TG with fresh 1000HP Tyler Crockett engines & #5 drives he's trying to sell. I was just out on Lake Travis doing some tuning on it. Pretty nice ride at 100! It's advertised in the back of Power Boat magazine. Might be worth making him an offer.

119,000/obo