Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > General Discussion > General Boating Discussion
How much does added weight effect your speed ? >

How much does added weight effect your speed ?

Notices

How much does added weight effect your speed ?

Old 07-21-2004, 05:45 PM
Registered
Platinum Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Re: How much does added weight effect your speed ?

I slept at a Holiday Inn express last night and my boat will do 74 mph with a full 100 gallons of fuel and 82 with about 10 gallons left. Usually, regular unleaded gasoline has a gravity of around 58 and a weight per gallon of 6.216 pounds per gallon. Premium gasoline may have a gravity of 54, or 6.350 pounds per gallon
Old 07-21-2004, 06:03 PM
Warped & Twisted Member
Platinum Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by 42MTI
Jamie'
I think it depeends on the type of hull as well as the brand. In my 42 fountains I never saw much if any difference. However in my can there is an noticeable difference. I think the formula for it is 1mph for ever 200lbs and the nortech is similiar.
Interesting. You have a much higher top speed in your MTI than you had in either of your Fountains, I assume. Thinking about that, you would think that the total top speed of the boat in question might also have alot to do with it (?) . . . will 200 pounds effect a boat that normally can do a 150 mph top speed the same as it does one that does a 65 mph top speed ?

How much does your MTI weight ?
Old 07-21-2004, 06:07 PM
Warped & Twisted Member
Platinum Member

Originally Posted by CigaretteFirefox
I slept at a Holiday Inn express last night
lol

I round up to 7 per gallon
Old 07-21-2004, 06:09 PM
Warped & Twisted Member
Platinum Member

Originally Posted by CigaretteFirefox
my boat will do 74 mph with a full 100 gallons of fuel and 82 with about 10 gallons left. Usually, regular unleaded gasoline has a gravity of around 58 and a weight per gallon of 6.216 pounds per gallon. Premium gasoline may have a gravity of 54, or 6.350 pounds per gallon
How much does this boat weight ?
Old 07-21-2004, 06:14 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Strangely, my boat is faster with a full tank of fuel, probably has something to do with moving the center of gravity to its optimum point. Then, cold air, 1-2 footers is the best.
Old 07-21-2004, 06:29 PM
Warped & Twisted Member
Platinum Member

Originally Posted by Troutly
Well, lets see....200 lbs is about 32 gallons of gas.....and I have 194 gallons on board.....assuming I don't burn it below 32 gallons.... I might gain 2 MPH total.
How much does your boat weight dry ?
Old 07-21-2004, 07:03 PM
Registered

I have heard in twin engine O/B cats, 200lb can equal as much as 2mph. Some boats are just more weight sensative than others, Cats especially. Dont know if there is an exact formula for this. Our 37 Outerlimits actually has run faster loaded down than empty. I am pretty sure that has something to do with not having the right props, but weight has not slowed the boat down as of yet.
Old 07-21-2004, 07:21 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I personally think that the more iced down cocktails we have on board the faster the boat seems to go
Old 07-21-2004, 07:52 PM
Charter Member # 545
Gold Member

I think the heaviest thing you can put in a boat is a GPS, the boat always slows down 3-5 mph when you add one of those!!!!
Old 07-21-2004, 08:26 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Arrow Re: How much does added weight effect your speed ?

http://www.go-fast.com/boat_speed_predictions.htm

I used this speed calculator and started with a 8500 lb (let's say 35' step hull) and T-500 HP engines. The calculated speed is 86 mph. For every 200 lbs you add you loose exactly 1 mph. If you go down to a lighter boat of say 4,000 lbs, even with the same power and size you loose 2 mph per 200 lbs added. So you are right, the heavier the boat the less effect additional weight has on speed even though the lighter weight boat obviously has a faster (112 mph in this case) top end. The boat does not have to be bigger it's a function of weight in a planing hull. Just as a side note by adding steps you may see an additional 10-15 mph on the top end and to get this same speed gain by decreasing weight using light weight composites it would take a weight reduction of 1,500 lbs to gain the benefit (10-15 mph) of steps. So a non-stepped 35' boat that weighed in at around 7,000 lbs would go as fast as a stepped hull weighing 8500 lbs. If you could get the weight down to 6,000 lbs a "traditional" non-stepped 35' deep V would go 92. So as I see it steps give higher MPH by a simple hull design change with no additional manufacturing costs whereas reducing weight is expensive.

I went the extra mile out of curiosity to figure this out for the fun of it.
Not an easy one to understand.

Last edited by Hydrocruiser; 07-21-2004 at 08:49 PM.

Quick Reply: How much does added weight effect your speed ?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.