Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   General Boating Discussion (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion-51/)
-   -   fairwell to Doug Lewis (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion/84009-fairwell-doug-lewis.html)

skaterw24s 07-27-2004 05:47 PM

fairwell to Doug Lewis

To all you out there that know of or have heard of Doug Lewis,owner of Professional Marine Racing in NJ,it is a sad day.Doug finally lost his battle with cancer and has moved on to a better place.
To those of you who never had the chance to know him,he was a great talent and racer and will definitely be missed by many.I had the chance to become a friend of Dougs while racing out of his shop from 95-98 in a B boat called BuckShot,we spent many a long night and sometimes to the wee hours of the morning getting ready for races.I learned so much from him and he has left an impretion on me that will last my lifetime.Thanks to Doug I was able to experience the thrill of Lake X when we went there one January to test a 28 skater that he rigged and raced in over in Dubai,He was one of the best throttle man in the sport of offshore racing and his competitive racing won him numerous titles and championships.I will miss the opportunity of being able to stop in his shop and drive whatever new skater he just rigged or fixed when he needed someone.I can't thank him enough for the knowledge he bestowed upon me and the respect he always gave to me.
I will miss him very much.
I wish the Best for his family and wife.

Regards,
Mark(Skippy)Springer.

Comanche3Six 07-27-2004 05:56 PM

Re: fairwell to Doug Louis

Via con Dios Doug

DIAMONDPERFORMA 07-27-2004 06:05 PM

Sad.

cigarette1 07-27-2004 06:08 PM

:(

frequentflyer 07-27-2004 06:09 PM

My condolences... He is in a better place now... Cancer really sucks.. I can't believe with all the technology nowadays that we have yet to find a cure.... RIP brother....

Shanghied Again 07-27-2004 06:41 PM

This is a sad day, Doug is now in a better place hopefully he is with all the great ones in Offshore racing that passed on talking about the old days of racing.. May Gods light shine on Doug.

Ted G 07-27-2004 06:43 PM

:( :( Condolences to Leanne and his family..

wayne 07-27-2004 06:45 PM

r.i.p

rouxsterre 07-27-2004 06:46 PM

Godspeed Doug.

Say Hi to my Mom.

Formula Outlaw 07-27-2004 07:37 PM

Sad. Condolances to all his friends and family. I lost my mother to cancer.

bob 07-27-2004 07:57 PM

Doug R.I.P. :(

JnT 07-27-2004 08:04 PM

Watched my Dad suffer.He is in a much better place now.God Bless.

Ron P 07-27-2004 08:05 PM

1 Attachment(s)
How sad, we knew he put up a tough fight. Leanne,,,what can be said...

Here's a photo of Mike D'annabelle and Doug at Skaterfest 2002. Skaterfest was always held at Doug's Pro Marine in Brick NJ.

He may be gone, but will never be forgotten. RIP old friend.:(

C_Spray 07-27-2004 08:09 PM

I only had the pleasure of meeting Doug briefly on a couple of occasions. Each time, he impressed me with his friendly demeanour and quiet confidence. As I learn more and more about his accomplishments in racing, it is still the way he dealt with the last years of his life that impresses me the most. Leeanne - you are a fortunate woman to have spent so much time with someone so full of life. We will all miss him, but our lives are fuller for his having been with us.

GRH 07-27-2004 08:20 PM

God speed & calm seas.... He earned it....

SpeedGirl 07-27-2004 08:21 PM

:( I have followed his thread in the racers area about his ups and downs for a while..... I have never met Doug BUT he has really touched my heart with his strength and ambition to overcome cancer... :(

My heart goes out to Leeanne, Doug's family and friends....

God Bless

Heather
Speed Girl

Steve 1 07-27-2004 08:33 PM

Am at a complete loss for words here; Doug was Brilliant, Hardworking and very Disciplined anytime someone of his caliber leaves it is a sad day indeed...
Doug and Tim Sharkey came down to my shop in the early 90’s Good times we made the race and Won the WC...

Rest in Peace Doug and God Bless...

gmhdfan 07-27-2004 08:37 PM

:( R.i.p. :(

Risk Taker 07-27-2004 08:47 PM

:( :( :(

brewster 07-27-2004 08:59 PM

r.i.p.

cuda 07-27-2004 09:07 PM

I never had the pleasure of meeting him, but I've been following his battle. He sounds like a great and courageous man. My condolences to the family.

bojoe2 07-27-2004 09:27 PM

DannyD 07-27-2004 09:35 PM

Condolences

boot 07-27-2004 09:40 PM

My condolences...
I was fortunate to meet the man and his wife leanne at skater fest and a few other times . For a man in his possition , I felt like I was no body and would be bothering him with my stupid questions .. That was NOT the case at all with Doug ! HE made me feel as important as a guy spending 2 million bucks with him !! AT that time , I was only looking for info about my old 1985 boat that only went about 50 mph .. But he was as interested in that as anything .. Thats a great guy . And I will never forget that . I was lucky enough to go for a ride in a 2000 hp 36 skater that he set up !! WOW ! The guy knew his stuff .. Thanks Doug . RIP . Joe

puder 07-27-2004 10:07 PM

my condoleneces to doug's family.

1HYPER1 07-27-2004 10:45 PM

DOUG, RIP my good friend,May you never suffer again,Leanne I am so sorry for your loss,Doug was a great man and a good person,I learned alot from him by just being around and listening to his very soft spoken and genuine words about everything he will be greatly missed by me and all who ever had the chance to meet him I am very sorry for your loss and if there is anything that I can do please let me know.GOD SPEED DOUG and all that you stood for,your lovely Leanne and all of the bad ass boats that you built.Rest in piece we miss you and will never forget you.RIP/RIP.

Lucididee 07-27-2004 11:09 PM

Condolences to the family

God Speed

SHARKEY-IMAGES 07-28-2004 03:43 AM

3 Attachment(s)
I just received confirmation from Leeanne of Doug's passing.

"Doug passed away at 11:05 PM, Tuesday, July 27. After he is cremated a memorial service will be held. I'll let you know the details in a few days.

Thanks for all your encouragement and concern during this time.

Leeanne"

The Offshore Community has lost yet another incredible icon.

Doug has taught me many things over the years.
As often as time allowed, we would work together in the Dyno room. I'd give a hand here and there with rigging, and many years back I would do all his glass work for him. I enjoyed the times working side by side with him. His ideas seemed endless.
The most notable time was when he & I finished the "new design" Cheetah Cat just a few days before the World Championships in Key West, and the boat walked away with the Championship in Stock Class that year.

Doug, I will cherish the times we spent. I am sure you are already rigging a one of the largest Skaters for the "BIG GUY" up in the sky....

God Bless You!

We will meet again......

You will be missed and not forgotten... :( :( :(

hp500efi 07-28-2004 05:24 AM

VinMan 07-28-2004 06:46 AM

R.I.P. Doug
:( :(

Downtown42 07-28-2004 06:50 AM

May God Bless Doug and family.

Playn 07-28-2004 06:55 AM

:( :( R.i.p.

Jana 07-28-2004 07:08 AM

:( :(
My condolences to his friends and family. Godspeed, Doug.

Dean Ferry 07-28-2004 07:17 AM

RIP,
Dean

throttleup 07-28-2004 07:25 AM

Our thoughts and prayers are with Doug, his family and his friends during this difficult time.

Julie & Matt

Indy 07-28-2004 07:50 AM

BODYSHOT1 07-28-2004 07:57 AM

Rest in Peace Doug...my condolences to His Family.

45sonic 07-28-2004 07:59 AM

Sad to hear. :( Rest in Peace.

Bill and Patti

fund razor 07-28-2004 08:05 AM

We see a Skater getting smaller on the horizon and we shout "farewell!"

Those who have gone before see a Skater on the horizon getting larger and shout "Hello!"

Tabasco Cat 07-28-2004 08:13 AM

My condolences to Doug's family and friends :(

God Bless.