Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   General Boating Discussion (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion-51/)
-   -   Aronow edeucation. (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion/84667-aronow-edeucation.html)

Cord 08-06-2004 01:04 PM

Aronow edeucation.

Educate me on the Squadron 12 boats. Did they only make the 27'? How did the boat handle? Was it fast? Did they build many?

Stormrider 08-06-2004 01:08 PM

Re: Aronow edeucation.

1 Attachment(s)
He also made a 39 and a 33.
There was a 33 for sale a while back.
And a friend of mine has a 39. Here is a picture of it. Its the green "Dry Martini" in the back... not the 42 tiger. :eureka:

Cord 08-06-2004 01:22 PM

I'd have to say that I've never heard of them before. I came across the name when I was researching the Cig 28ss. They seem to have the same line. The Squadron 12 27', may have a lower freeboard though.

boot 08-06-2004 01:23 PM

1 Attachment(s)
A friend of mine also had a 39' . He bought it from the sherrif sale . drug smugglers . It was a bare hull with twin small block 400ci. motors & thru the porp exhaust . MAybe if they had bigger motors ,they might have not gotten caught ....... The thing only did less then 50mph empty .

Here is a picture of another just like it .

boot 08-06-2004 01:26 PM

I beleive there were only a total of twelve boats made . I think it had something to do with Don selling out another boat company ,and could only build less then 12 boats that year .

Hey Cord, did you get that "package " yet ?

Fast Shafts 08-06-2004 01:29 PM

The Powerboat Mag boat is a 39 Cigarette.
Storm, the Dry Martini boat clearly has a "Cigarette" logo on it.???
The only Squadrons I knew of were 27's.

Stormrider 08-06-2004 01:32 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Boot, are you sure that isn't the other 39ft Cigarette Competition?
The son of guy who owns that green 39ft SQ XII, bought this one last year.

Also check out the Squadron XII of Thunderboatalley.com.

And the "Dry Martini" has big power and supposedly runs 90+.

Here is another picture of it in the backround.

Cord 08-06-2004 02:02 PM

Storm-I was there and that's were this question came from.

Boot-I'm told that it came in today. Thanks!

magnum27 08-06-2004 02:19 PM

The 27 squadron was basically a Magnum 27 with a different deck on it and rigged with a single engine.

Stormrider 08-06-2004 02:22 PM

Originally Posted by Cord
Storm-I was there and that's were this question came from.

Huh? you lost me... :crazy:

--edit--

Sorry, I just re-read your post...4 times. And got it.
That 27 that is shot indoors was in Huntington NY.
Was redone and looked awsome, not that I saw it. :(

I remember being on 188th w/ Don when he was building the Squadrons across the street.
The 39 by me has a real flat deck.
Its soooo sweet. I think its a shame he has a Cig. sticker on it.
I'd have a SQ XII on it, and be proud of what it is.

Cord 08-06-2004 02:29 PM

I was on the site looking at the Cig 28ss's and browsed through the Squadron 12 directory. There isn't much info in there, so I walked away with more questions that I arrived with. I do like the lines of that 27' ALOT!

Steve 1 08-06-2004 02:42 PM

The original Race Boat Apache was a Squadron 12 Jerry Kilpatric owned/raced it.This before the 41 and Kramer

I "heard" the strakes were wider than an Cigarette but that is debatable since one of Aromows sayings was "do not screw with success"

Caincando1 08-06-2004 02:55 PM

. I do like the lines of that 27' ALOT!

Me too! I like that low freeboard long nose "speedster" look. The 27 excalibur has a similar look, with the low freeboard and sit downs.

cbdragon 08-06-2004 03:50 PM

27, 33 and 39 but not the Cigarette 39. The 39 Cig was a different mold for the hull and deck. cb

Lee 08-06-2004 05:31 PM

I just talked to a guy in NJ today about buying his 1979 39' Squadron XII, 3man stand up, 1500 gal tanks, 2 deck hatches and unfinished cabin. :eek: He said he bought it from a goverment auction in Miami years ago. I have several pictures of it that I can post on Monday. It is very similar to the LongShot Cigarette where the rubrail raises up about 12", 3' from the transom.

Eric Froberg 08-06-2004 09:52 PM

2 Attachment(s)
Squadron XII

boot 08-06-2004 09:57 PM

Lee ,is that boat brown or black ?

cbdragon , What is the boat I posted above ? Is it a squadron or a cig ? My friends boat looked exactly like it but he swares it is a squadron. It had that big notch on the hood ! You might remember the guy , Bob Engo from Jersey, friend of Lenny's .... Joe

Downtown42 08-06-2004 10:02 PM

Cord, you buying soon???

Tonto 08-06-2004 10:07 PM

Eric,
Thanks for posting that pic, I was looking for it in the APACHE pic history, but this computer here is SO SLOW compared to the other and broadband. Hope you are doing well, and if you get up here to Ga. don't hesitate to give us a call, be glad to take you out on the lake. I just have to plan everything around the wedding.
Best wishes,
Robert

P.S., I'm not sure that everyone sees the difference in the marques;
APACHE Headress
McManus Headress
Cigarette Logo
Squadron Logo
ETC., ETC., ETC.,
They are all SO similar........................................... ........................ :drink:

Lee 08-07-2004 06:16 AM

Boot, It is a black hull with a white deck.
How's Moxie doing?

Cord 08-07-2004 07:41 AM

Originally Posted by Downtown42
Cord, you buying soon???

Wasn't really planning on it. We're just kicking tires trying to see what we like. The getcha is that we don't want twins.

Downtown42 08-07-2004 09:51 AM

Wasn't really planning on it. We're just kicking tires trying to see what we like. The getcha is that we don't want twins.

Sounds like fun! Lot's of deals out there. :)

Ed 08-07-2004 12:16 PM

The Sqaudron Xll 39 defineately was tooled with wider lifting strakes than the 39 Cigarette. Bob Saccenti brought this to my attention first, back in the day. He should know, he piloted that one with Kilpatrick. He also mentioned he prefered the Cigarettes strake width. Ed :)

apache21 08-07-2004 01:55 PM

They also made a 24

Cord 08-07-2004 05:20 PM

Anybody know of some project 27's laying around?

Lee 08-10-2004 08:39 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Here is a pic, As with most Squadron XII's I have seen people affix Cigarette logo's on them.

Scott 08-10-2004 09:05 AM

Originally Posted by cbdragon
27, 33 and 39 but not the Cigarette 39. The 39 Cig was a different mold for the hull and deck. cb

Re: Why So Many New 39 V Bottoms???

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Quote from the 39' thread
"It's called Penis Envy. We started this entire 39' craze. It's too bad no one else in the industry can come up with a original idea. Fancy colors, too many gauges, too many steps, too many deaths from ill handling flipping hull designs. Why not buy a real, well built, state of the art SAFE, TURNING, offshore boat?????????????????????????????????????????????/"

"Try selling more T-Shirts; You obviously cant come up with original boat designs."

Sorry I must of read this post wrong in the other thread I thought you guys invented the 39 footer. :rolleyes:

Sorry but obviously this post struck me wrong from such a "class act" :(

Sean 08-10-2004 09:42 AM

lee,

that boat is a cig...not a squadron...the squadron never had that "step" in the rubrail...and squdrons were built in 81-82. and the dry martini is a squadron as i noted by looking at the HIN.

cbdragon as always is correct on the lenghts of the squadrons, but as my literature shows, they did advertise a 24...but use the same pic as the 27...so i dont know if they actually built a 24..

sean

Lee 08-10-2004 10:52 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Sean, The H.I.N.# prefix is "XEX", which is a Squadron XII.
This picture will make things even more confusing, notice it is called a 39' Cigarette "Squadron" not a 39' Squadron XII

Lee 08-10-2004 10:59 AM

2 Attachment(s)
Some more pics

Cord 08-10-2004 11:32 AM

3 Attachment(s)
These are the pics that I captured.

boot 08-10-2004 11:54 AM

Hi Lee, Moxy has been "resting" for a few years ...... It MAY get wet soon .

That boat there was my buddies boat for YEARS ! It has /or HAD , small blocks in it . He swaped it to that guy for an air plane .... His paper work said squadron 12. the cig emblem stumped us too ... When we were at cig quite a few years ago , there was a guy there that remembered building the boat ! ( Not necessarily in the cig plant ) I think it was "Brownie" ....

THe boat was nabbed by the cops and auctioned when my buddy got it . They say the cabin was COMPLETELY FULL ,TOP TO BOTTOM , FRONT TO BACK , WITH DRUGS !!

I always wondered who's boat it was at that time ...

Stormrider 08-10-2004 12:47 PM

Cord, that was the boat in Huntington.

Sean 08-13-2004 07:19 AM

Lee,

that is strange indeed...because I know XEX is the squadron prefix...but everything i've ever read never showed the "step" boat to be a squadron. also, the years don't add up...Squadron didnt exist until 81-82 and maybe this one sat around until then? or could it be that this boat was re-stamped? with it's somewhat shady past, I wouldnt be surprised...

Cord 08-13-2004 10:23 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Now, is it just me or do these lines seem simular? It's a 27' Progression.

Hang Time 27 10-19-2004 10:28 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Cord,

I don't know if your still following this thread, but the 27'er is alot different than the 28ss. I too could not see affording to run twins, but I always loved the Cig 28ss. The 27's freeboard is very low (which is why I liked it) The outside lifting strake that goes all the way to the transom is 5.5 inches wide!! Thats probably as big as on a 42'er! The inside strake that ends about 8-10 feet short of the transom is only 2.5 inches wide - Thats about the normal width of most boats in this size range, including the 28ss and the 27 magnum. So much for the "don't mess with success" rumor about Don. I think they were trying to get more lift for better speeds with a single drive, and yes it works. It gives a rougher ride than the 28ss because of this (as well as the extra weight of the 28), but it does give it a good cruise speed for it's size. It can run light and wild like a 22 donzi, or just put down the big tabs and it's digging in like a much bigger boat. The idea of getting more lift was more effectively used by reggie fountain at around the same time, but he added the extra lift all the way in at the keel by making another set of strakes right at the keel, which is now known as "the pad". I think they both work about the same at cruise speeds, but the pad is definately better for top speed because it can lift the boat further out of the water.

I've got 625hp and a TRS spinning a 29" Mirage Plus to 5,300 rpm, and can maybe touch 80 with the 100gal tank empty and no friends. Otherwise, 77mph GPS all day long. Granted, my boat was painted sometime back and the bottom condition sucks (needs to be detailed), has a larger, heavier engine hatch and windscreen than original.

The boats are built solid as hell. No cabin up front, just bulkheads and stringers. My boat is aptly named Hang Time because thats what I enjoy doing with it!! I've landed every way but upside down - ripped seats out etc......There are still no structural cracks whatsoever - I can't say that for most of the 28's I've seen.

CFD5 10-19-2004 11:10 PM

In pic/post #16 is that the Cig/Squadron that Aronow named "Apache" or am I wrong? This was before Apache Powerboats correct?

CFD5 10-19-2004 11:20 PM

Sorry, this pic.

BROWNIE 10-20-2004 07:52 AM

When Aronow sold Cigarette to Hal Halter, he agreed to build only 12 boats a year for time immemorial. Considering that he had f*****d every one else that he had sold a company to, noone expected him to stick with it (except maybe Hal...). That's where the name Squadron XII came from. He had a 24' Cig lookalke, that he sold to Charlie McCarthy, a 27' single engine (Petro-crisis time) a 33' and a 39'. God knows how many boats he built. Some said that he built some "off color" boats with the same hull #, maybe as many as ten. In any case, it wasn't very logical. When he got Cigarette back for 10 cents on the dollar, he forgot about Squadron.

Cord 10-20-2004 08:04 AM

HT27-I've seen pics of your boat before and I just love the lines. I actually managed to get ahold of Tom Abrams and we talked for a while. He too is very fond of his boat. He said that he'd see 85mph with 650hp so you both are right there. The interesting thing is that he said he could still do it in 3'ers! If you ever came across one that was available, I'd sure appreciate you dropping me a note so I could look into it.

The boat that is in the classifieds is a bit of a odd duck. It was listed on boat trader for 12.5 by Brystar Marine group out of Texas. They never return phone calls. It's now relisted for 16.5. The boat on the board is still at 12.5 but it's now by a individual out of Ohio. The e-mail address is bad and the phone number is for some web server company that e-mail addy points to. I've been told that the boat really isn't a Cigarette, but that it is a IMP and was built after the molds were sold. I'm also told that the boat is trashed. I'm also curious about the engine/drive combo. I know that the 330 was placed in front of the alpha for one year, then it was bravo/big block combinations only. The magnum was never used with the alpha. The 1986 year also seems to be a bit early for the alpha. A bunch of mystery surrounding that one.