Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > General Discussion > General Boating Discussion
If Don Aronow were with us today would he be represented at the Kilo Today? >

If Don Aronow were with us today would he be represented at the Kilo Today?

Notices
View Poll Results: Would Aronow have been in the Kilo's?
He would have taken Fountain and OL on!
52.04%
No but Cigarette would involved in competition more
31.63%
He would not compete anymore and be a spectator
7.14%
He would run for a Kilo record with worn engines
4.08%
He would make excuses
5.10%
Voters: 98. You may not vote on this poll

If Don Aronow were with us today would he be represented at the Kilo Today?

Old 08-08-2004, 08:32 AM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: If Don Aronow were with us today would he be represented at the Kilo Today?

Originally Posted by craig223
You forgot the choice of "Who give a rat's azz"

Cigarette doesn't need to get involved in these ridiculous ego fests..

Congrats to all the Fountain people
I think the poll is about Aronow himself and not Cigarette. Abviously competeition was in his blood so I would say he would have been there in something. He would have won the and then sold the company to the highest bidder!
Old 08-08-2004, 10:20 AM
Registered
Platinum Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Re: If Don Aronow were with us today would he be represented at the Kilo Today?

Originally Posted by Indy
Hmmm...I thought he was into OFFSHORE competition.
I don't know why that rumor persists

Last edited by Comanche3Six; 08-29-2007 at 10:44 AM.
Old 08-08-2004, 12:19 PM
Registered

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Pure Energy
I think the poll is about Aronow himself and not Cigarette. Abviously competeition was in his blood so I would say he would have been there in something. He would have won the and then sold the company to the highest bidder!
And then started another Co. to compete with the first !
Old 08-08-2004, 01:47 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Arrow Re: If Don Aronow were with us today would he be represented at the Kilo Today?

On days like yesterday when offshore competition gets us all excited it especially brings feelings of the loss of Don Aronow. I am glad to have started this thread as it brought some of his racing spirit back alive. We ought appreciate people like him who are driven to be their very best.

Yesterday was a lot of fun wish I could have made it in and I feel for Ol loosing an engine. Hope we can do this again!
Old 08-09-2004, 11:07 AM
T2x
Allergic to Nonsense
Platinum Member

Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by Too Old
He'd be in Ocala on the horse farm. Leaving the kilo pursuits to the guys he's passed the torch to.

There's a time and a place for everything and everyone. Don's was then, but this is NOW.
Well said, Fred..........

T2x

P.S. My 28' Skater ran 120 yesterday...and I'm 102
Old 08-09-2004, 11:13 AM
Charter Member #232
Charter Member

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Did he run or did they run speed runs back then? If they did, did he run in them? I guess the answer may lie in there some place.

Jon
Old 08-09-2004, 11:55 AM
knotpropr

Back then they did something called Offshore Racing, where they actually raced in the open waters and the best guy won

Old 08-09-2004, 02:12 PM
T2x
Allergic to Nonsense
Platinum Member

Originally Posted by knotpropr
Back then they did something called Offshore Racing, where they actually raced in the open waters and the best guy won
Actually, in the early days a lot of the offshore boats were "marathon" OPC boats, and there were annual calm water kilo trials for these boats at that time. For instance, Chuck Mercereau won the Around Long Island race in 1962 in a twin outboard Powercat (see below), and many of the smaller boats were in the 16 to 21 foot range.............These same hulls ran point to point races (Albany-NY,etc) and circle races (5 laps of a 1 2/3 rds mile course). Aronow set a "Special Event" kilo record in a diesel powered tunnel hull which was about 23 feet long if I recall correctly, this boat was never actually run in a race, offshore or otherwise. Kilo record runs for true offshore boats came along a bit later. By the 70's and 80's the bigger cats and vees were fast enough that record runs became fairly common. By then Aronow was into horses and , in spite of frequent "quotes" to the contrary at boat show sightings and the like, he no longer had a real competitive fire for boat racing. Don's career lasted about 10-12 years as a racer. Since Reggie began racing boats in the 60's and has been in the cockpit for 40 years or so he clearly has a more long lived "passion" for the sport than Aronow had.

T2x
Attached Thumbnails If Don Aronow were with us today would he be represented at the Kilo Today?-3-mersereau-wins.jpg  

Last edited by T2x; 08-09-2004 at 03:52 PM.
Old 08-09-2004, 04:00 PM
Enjoy the show
VIP Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

And back then a big Cigarette Open Class boat couldn't break 100mph.
Old 08-09-2004, 04:40 PM
T2x
Allergic to Nonsense
Platinum Member

Originally Posted by Ron P
And back then a big Cigarette Open Class boat couldn't break 100mph.
or 70 mph....... for that matter.

T2x

Quick Reply: If Don Aronow were with us today would he be represented at the Kilo Today?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.