Like Tree0Likes

Fountain vs OL, my take.

Old 08-08-2004, 07:13 PM
Registered

My Boats: 1989 Cigarette Bullet
Default Re: Fountain vs OL, my take.

Maximus,

I appreciate your opinion of my opinion. Because in fact that's all it is, an opinion. Both of us have one, neither one is in FACT right. You have an opinion that I am in fact "WRONG". Pretty strong words IMO.

Reread my post. I said that Reggie and crew were probably in fact disappointed that OL didn't get a chance to run. I never said that the Fountain camp was doing any chest pounding. I was eluding to the fact that a lot of people on here were.

The fact is, Reggie and crew set a record. No one can deny that. Myself included.

I started this thread as my take on the events taking place. It's starting to be obvious that some are taken personally by it. Sorry if that's the case. The last time I checked we are entitled to an opinioin without loss of life.

Buck
Old 08-08-2004, 07:36 PM
Registered

My Boats: 38 Jupiter CC, Miss GEICO

HEy buck,
no problem.. i didn't mean to come off negative. just felt like people were trying to discredit alot of other peoples hard work. Happens all the time but you just caught me after my wife gave me some **** about something.

Maxx
Old 08-08-2004, 07:49 PM
Registered

My Boats: 1989 Cigarette Bullet

Maximus....LOL. That's kewl. I hope things are well now.

Don't think for a second I didn't expect differences of opinion when I posted this thread. We all have em.

I happen to think Reggie and team deserve everything they can get for their efforts. I just have a funny feeling they would be MUCH happier had OL made the runs like expected.

I hope to see these two teams go head to head some day and settle it. We all stand to gain from this.

Take care,

Buck
Old 08-08-2004, 11:40 PM
Registered

My Boats: 1997 35' Fountain

This was a world record not a race. Reggie didn't beat anyone he set a record which he is the sole owner of until someone can better that mark. Reggie told a group of 80 Power boaters his plans to regain the speed record back in January. He told us he planned to up the mark to 160 in the Rio Roses boat and then up that mark to 170+ when his new boat was finished. Looks like he did exactly what he set out to do.

If you think about it Mike Fiore is just as responsible for this new record as Reggie. Setting records is no fun without having contenders. Mike has proved he is a tough competitor with a fantastic boat. I'm sure this is not the end of the speed runs but only the beginning which is good. The real winner ultimately is the consumer. I'm sure the improvements in both boats will start to show up in our boats.

Dan
Old 08-09-2004, 12:19 AM
Registered
VIP Member

My Boats: 03, Fountain 38 Lightning

Yep it's a record not a race. Reggie had it, there was an OL effort on a GPS that confused the issue for some and Reggie cleared it up. I'll bet even if OL does not respond, Reggie will do it again to break his own record. My opinion is OL will never win this war. Maybe a battle, but never the war. Reggie is better at preparing, building a team, anticipating and ironing out problems, and has lot's more money. Lastly he is tenacious. It's going to take more than a small volume fast boat builder to take him down. The only hope is that Reggie sells out to Mercury as predicted and retires in a few years.

I can't believe how people on this board trash talked Reggie. The hair and age jokes were stupid and cruel. Calling him a cheat and a chicken. Before it had to be on the same day on the same water to be fair and Reggie refused that out of fear. Reggie's response comes months later here it is - http://www.fountainpower.com/NewsEve..._grandprix.htm . I am just wondering where all those loud mouth'd BOZO's are now. It's not that I like Fountain more than OL. They are both great boats and if you don't see that your an idiot. I just hate the chest pounding narrow minded guys that were so over the top with this. This record setting is great for the sport. We will all benifit.

Last edited by nolimits; 08-09-2004 at 12:22 AM.