Notices

Stuffing a boat can be harmful to your health

Old 08-17-2004, 04:37 AM
Registered
Platinum Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Re: Stuffing a boat can be harmful to your health

Originally Posted by jtmiller02
I don't think Monday morning quarterbacks are going to solve this mystery.
It's impossible to solve the mystery before it happens.
Old 08-17-2004, 07:26 AM
Charter Member
Charter Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I think it is also important to consider the damage that may be imparted to the stringers after all those hits. Remember that the wood is flexed everytime the boat hits a wave and even plywood could develop small cracks throughout the structure. Once the rigidity of the structural members is compromised the glass begins to overflex and that would compound the problem. Eventually you are going to reach a point of too much flex and the entire assembly will give up. Unfortunately this would be impossible to see prior to failure so there could be no preventative maintenance.
Old 08-17-2004, 08:50 AM
T2x
Allergic to Nonsense
Platinum Member

Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by Rippem
Finally, T2x begins to approach my questions about lifespan of fiberglass boats.
Other than impact T2x, what is your opinion about the breakdown of petrochem materials used in layup/constuction due to ozone, changing shape and size repeatedly due to temp changes ect.?
There is definitely a relationship between age, exposure to elements, original materials, layup, framing etc...and hull life. However, all of these are variables. My suggestion is to have your hull examined by the manufacturer before racing it, if it is older than 5 years.

The problem is that not all manufacturers know what they are looking at, and in some cases the builders no longer exist. Sharkey's photos above of the Shadows point out another dilemma. Prior to George and my departure in 1982, Shadows were built to one set of standards. After that, any damn fool who came through the shop and had a "better idea" was given license to create his own laminate schedule and bill of materials. This phenomenon doubtless occurs every time there is an ownership or management change on the floor at any boat company.

To the point, I strongly suggest three things:

1. Don't race a boat older than 5-8 years of age.

2. Have any boat you race throughly inspected by a QUALIFIED laminating expert ( Bobby Vikingstad on L.I., Steve Koss in Florida, etc, etc) or its builder (Skater, Fountain, OL, Sutphen etc) before each season of racing. There are certainly older boats that are still fit race craft and , conversely, younger hulls that have been filled with water, frozen, carried on an improper trailer , etc

3. Do not race anything built by wannabes.....stick with proven builders and LISTEN TO THEM. Your buddies at the bar may be your yardstick but in almost every case ....they are wrong.

This is not a black and white issue by any means, but, as always, common sense and personal safety should override budgetary constraints.

Good luck

T2x
Old 08-17-2004, 11:41 AM
merlin540

Thats So True I Guess I Am Lucky To Still Race One Of The Oldest Skaters Around 17 Years Old And Still Running Strong

Old 08-17-2004, 04:34 PM
Registered
Platinum Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Insptech and T2x make some good points and good safety sense.
Old 11-05-2004, 09:02 PM
Registered

Received 482 Likes on 162 Posts

ttt