Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   General Boating Discussion (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion-51/)
-   -   Everyone in Florida Ok ? (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion/85187-everyone-florida-ok.html)

CAP071 08-14-2004 05:44 AM

Everyone in Florida Ok ?

Is everyone in Florida OK ? I heard some parts got hit bad? By buddy is trying to reach his grandfather in Punta Gorda. We were told there are death counts rising there from a news story ?

toolman 08-14-2004 06:03 AM

Re: Everyone in Florida Ok ?

I hope so. I have a friend in Northport and we haven't been able to reach him yet.
They said some deaths at a mobile home park because some people didn't listen and evacuate.

Hey cap, how's your boat running this year? We still need to get together on the river sometime.

Toolman
(my governor is a gay american..........YUK)

cig1988 08-14-2004 06:42 AM

What a turn for the worse. Goes to show its next to impossible to predict mother nature. Hope everyone is OK.

OSO Reporter 08-14-2004 06:50 AM

reported 15billion in damages

cuda 08-14-2004 07:21 AM

I'm sure the hurricane center will catch hell for thier prediction. They evacuated the Tampa Bay area and sent the people directly into the path of the storm. They were telling people from the bay area to go east and not north.

SOX 08-14-2004 07:30 AM

I'll keep all these folks in my prayers...

cuda 08-14-2004 07:39 AM

The storm was packing 145 mph winds when it made landfall. It was still a Cat 2 when it reached Orlando.

cuda 08-14-2004 07:48 AM

It's a very sad day in Florida. Punta Gorda was devastated. There is significant loss of life, mostly from people who tried to ride out the storm in mobile homes. After leaving the coast and heading up the state, Orlando took a direct hit. Every building at Orlando International Airport was damaged. From what I'm reading, there wasn't any loss of life reported in Otown.

It's really a sober morning. I'm am relieved that it didn't strike where it was predicted, at least I didn't have to worry about my parents. They ended up having to worry about me, but we were spared when the storm turned east just south of us.

As Mosi pointed out, if it had hit the bay area, the destruction and loss of life would have been much much worse.

These storms are no joke. The people who yesterday were joking and talking about hurricane parties are singing a different tune this morning. Once you've been through a hurricane, your perspective changes.

Now our eyes turn north and we are hoping our northern freinds are spared the worse.

Ange 08-14-2004 07:54 AM

I talked to ChrisK yesterday and he was saying that his parents weren't leave the St. Pete area and that his grandfather was coming to stay with him. I haven't talked to him since but he is in Orlando.

cuda 08-14-2004 08:08 AM

A third of Orlando is without power.

rockstrmkr 08-14-2004 08:10 AM

Wow.....Close call !
We've got some trees down, but other than that Marco Island lucked out.

Hope everyone is ok...

rws 08-14-2004 08:14 AM

9:00 AM We Still have no word on our three familys in Port Charlotte /Charlotte Harbor and Punta Gorda. We have contacted the Red Cross .There is not much more to do except wait and hope.

Rob & Tammy

cuda 08-14-2004 08:20 AM

Originally Posted by rws
9:00 AM We Still have no word on our three familys in Port Charlotte /Charlotte Harbor and Punta Gorda. We have contacted the Red Cross .There is not much more to do except wait and hope.

Rob & Tammy

Payers for your families. I am profoundly saddened this morning. The news from SW Florida has not been encouraging.

Dock Holiday 08-14-2004 08:22 AM

I tried to call a couple of buddies in the Jacksonville area this morning with do answer. How are things in that area of the state?

If Charley comes back hard into North or South Carolina this will probably go down in history as one of the worst hurricanes!

SpeedGirl 08-14-2004 08:32 AM

:( the pictures on the news are devastating!!!!

NC and SC... hold on tight your next......

Formula Outlaw 08-14-2004 08:48 AM

We were spared 145 mph winds by less than 35 miles. We lost one banana tree and one sliding glass door.

Rob and Tammy, I just pm'ed you back. I printed out your numbers and will keep them with me. I have to run to St. Pete on business, then I will take a drive south, either later today or first thing in morning to try to find out info. 60 fatalities were reported in a trailer park in Punta Gorda. Anyone else who needs help in trying to locate/contact people get hold of me. I'm in Nokomis, 35/50 miles north of these areas. Glad to help out everyone as best I can. Russ

jtmiller02 08-14-2004 08:49 AM

its starting here..i think its going to come straight up and on the beach right here where i live. Winds are at 40mph right now

rws 08-14-2004 08:50 AM

Russ,
Thank You for the Help!

Rob & Tammy

gdfatha 08-14-2004 08:56 AM

Thanks for asking.

I share in the sadness for those further south. I'm in Altamonte Springs and we have no power. No majore damage in general area :(

The news now reports TWO additional low pressure areas on the way in the near future :eek: :(

Take care

Formula Outlaw 08-14-2004 09:07 AM

Anyone who might want help in finding out info my cell # is 941-544-1375.

Just talked with law enforcement and almost all phone service and cell towers in that area are down. They are "sternly" asking for people to stay out of the area until at least tomorrow because of all the downed power lines. They want the Florida Power & Light crews to have unfettered access to roads without have to worry about "lookey loos". They said tomorrow would be better but to check back late this afternoon. Russ

open87 08-14-2004 10:03 AM

Originally Posted by cuda
These storms are no joke. The people who yesterday were joking and talking about hurricane parties are singing a different tune this morning. Once you've been through a hurricane, your perspective changes.

living in southeast la, cuda couldn't say it any better. i have been through all the storms that came our way. when they said get out , took the family pics,paperwork ,some clothes, and a quick round of pics for insurance. then got the hell out. a few years back we had back to back storms , couldn't take the dealings of living on the water anymore. now i live 2 miles from the lake. just gotta watch for the pine trees falling now :rolleyes: god bless everyone. in a bit of ironey, a few years back we looked at property in the punta/charlotte area on water. miss open72 is like" we shoulda been living there".i know the building codes called for cinderblock and concrete with steel reinforcements and i am shocked at what i am seeing on tv this morning.

27mmLoto 08-14-2004 10:05 AM

Terry Sobo, if you read this check in. I do not want to tie up the area phone lines for a day or 2 but I would like to know that you all made it through in good shape.
Steve Cornwell

cuda 08-14-2004 10:06 AM

Most of the damage is to older buildings and mobile homes. If you notice, the buildings that are still standing are newer models built to code to handle hurricane force winds.

Black Thunder Boat 08-14-2004 10:07 AM

Hope the guys down at Nor Tech are ok, I know the storm hit near Cape Coral.
Mike

Ange 08-14-2004 10:12 AM

I've tried ChrisK's cell just a bit ago and got his voicemail.

JT, hang tight, keep in touch. We are at a quiet spot right now, it's been pouring rain all morning and all last night. We are hearing that the next band of storms we get will be the leading edge of Charley.

bajabob38 08-14-2004 10:13 AM

News reporting many missing loss of life can be high, this is a sad day :(

boatfreak 08-14-2004 10:22 AM

Terry Sobo is who I have been thinking about. He had to have taken a direct hit from it.

GregP 08-14-2004 10:46 AM

We got word from my Aunt in Punta Gordo late last night that she was fine, house took some damage. She stayed in the rec center, which was listed as "hurricane proof", and luckily for this time at least it was.

-Greg

GatorDave 08-14-2004 11:06 AM

Dock Holiday,

Jacksonville is fine. Storm passed south of us. Some wind and rain damage in St. Augustine but nothing to major that I have heard of. Thanks for thinking of Jax and keep thinking of the West Coast. Lot's of damage there.

Tim G. 08-14-2004 11:20 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Anybody heard from Hugetime (Jason)?
The storm hit north of him, but the surge probably raised the river some...

His boat-

rws 08-14-2004 11:43 AM

We have heard that My in-laws are ok The roof was damaged and the pool enclosure and yard shed are gone.The neice loaded up the kids and headed to Venice just before it hit.We have not heard from My wifes sister that lived in the Trailer in Punta Gorda. Her Daughter did how ever confirm that she also left the trailer to seek shelter at someones house.

Russ Thank You once again
I have called your Cell to leave a message

cuda 08-14-2004 12:07 PM

Rags just called Hugetime. He's fine with no damage to his houses or his boat. He's headed to Ft Lauderdale because they have no power, and aren't expecting power back on until mid week.

CAP071 08-14-2004 01:20 PM

Just heard from my buddy his grandparents are Ok. They went to a shelter but their house is destroyed. from the sounds of it the roof blew off then everything inside went out with it. but they lost a few friends that did not go to the shelter

MnFastBoat 08-14-2004 02:00 PM

Iam still trying to get in touch with my brother and his family :(
They live in Bradenton. Anyone know the condition of this area?
I know him and his wife went to Sturgic, but not sure when they were returning. Kids went to Jacksonville
Their home phone still does pick up[ messages, but I do not know if its tape machine or phone company voice mail :(

offthefront 08-14-2004 02:55 PM

Originally Posted by GatorDave
Dock Holiday,

Jacksonville is fine. Storm passed south of us. Some wind and rain damage in St. Augustine but nothing to major that I have heard of. Thanks for thinking of Jax and keep thinking of the West Coast. Lot's of damage there.

we got pretty much nothing west of St Johns ..dodged another bullet ..

cuda 08-14-2004 02:59 PM

Originally Posted by MnFastBoat
I know him and his wife went to Sturgic, but not sure when they were returning. Kids went to Jacksonville
Their home phone still does pick up[ messages, but I do not know if its tape machine or phone company voice mail :(

Bradenton was largely unaffected.

Ms PatriYacht 08-14-2004 03:02 PM

Rob I am glad to hear that your family is OK, I have been thinking about them all day.
Thanks for letting us know. Glad to here Hugetime didn't loose anything either since he just moved down there.

Dirty Race Girl 08-14-2004 03:03 PM

Originally Posted by MnFastBoat

I have friends in Bradenton who have indicated that they only got rain and some strong winds......not a whole lot of damage to that area from what I can tell.

Thank goodness it sounds as if nothing but property was lost to most folks. That in itself is a blessing.

Add me to the list of southwest FL residents willing to help out by going to find friends and family who have not been reachable during this powerful storm.

addiction 08-14-2004 06:09 PM

Storm update-

got back to our house in Sarasota. No damage. THANK GOD! Evacuated family to Orlando. STorm did heavy damage there last night. Left in AM, traffic HEAVY. No gas available for miles. I-4 jammed for hours. Everyone running out of gas and searching for bathrooms. Restaurants and stops had no gas or power. Heavy rain storms on I-4. Port Charlotte, Northport, Punta Gorda, Venice - Heavy Damage. Talked to Hugetime before and after storm. He is in Ft Lauderdale and has no power. We invited him and his girlfriend to stay with us. Devastating storm!

We never had anything like this in Philly!

suncoastpower2 08-14-2004 06:24 PM

Just Got back from Punta Gorda.Looks Like A War Zone,Houses,Business Destroyed,Incredible Destruction,My Prayers for The Families Who Have Lost Anyone to This Tragedy,I am asking That Any One In The OPBA Boat Club Who Have Water And Provisions Left From Charley Get Them Together And Get Them To Me In Sarasota And I will Get Them Down To The Shelters.Anyone Needing To Contact Someone In that Area E-Mail Me A Name An Address And We Will Try To Go By Tomorrow.