Another fatality, this time, up at the 1000 Islands

Notices

Another fatality, this time, up at the 1000 Islands

Old 08-15-2004, 09:24 PM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: Another fatality, this time, up at the 1000 Islands

Originally Posted by Steet
Food for thought. I run both performance boats and cruisers. When I am in the performance boat running mid 80's I complain because the cruisers are in my way and are making big wakes. When I am in my cruiser, I am complaining about the performance boats running wide open by me. The way I look at it, is that each has a right to be on the water. I have no right to complain about the fast boats or the fast boats about me. Experience teaches us to react to each scenerio when faced with circumstances.
Not taking sides, but I had rather run fast than slow any day, but look at the statistics of who ends up on the short end of the stick when it comes to accidents. It is usually the extreme boaters. I have a hard time paying insurance as it is, and it is not getting any better.
God Bless the familiy or families of this tragedy.
George Carlin made this observation once... " Why is it that everyone passing you is a maniac... and everyone going slower than you is a moron?........
Old 08-15-2004, 10:14 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Very sad news. Our condolences to the families and friends.
Dan & Vicki
Old 08-16-2004, 05:35 AM
Registered

I wish they would post the condition of the woman with him. It's truly a tragic event. We were at a poker run on Grand Island and this news was already up there before dinner Saturday. A very small community (meaning the poker run crowd) and word travels fast. I'm glad he was recovered, and sympathy goes to the friends, families and those who witnessed the event.

I've seen a couple posts about "if we were closer" or "if we had looked at the gps" and hope that very soon you stop thinking like that. It was emotional, hectic and just an awful set of circumstances. Your primary response is naturally going to be to look down for him. You're so focused on trying to find him, you're not going to realize you're drifting. You did your best and while the heart wrenching memory will stay with you, I hope over time you will let go of the what if's.

We have traveled the river and Alex Bay many times and have seen more than one incident like this (without a fatality) in that area. Freighters wakes look relatively small, just a couple feet. But in reality they're 5 or 6 feet. It just happens.

And FWIW, we were with people that know John Gosson (from previous poker runs) and his friends. Everyone said he was a nice guy....and believe me, there was one man who said that and he holds nothing back. If you can get him to say you're a nice guy - you must be.

Rest in peace and God bless John.
Old 08-16-2004, 06:17 AM
Charter Member #232
Charter Member

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Bonnie thanks for the kind words. The what ifs that I was talking about were a 20/20 thing. I have no regrets about how Top, Monica and I handled ourselves. We have what if's, every day of the week. God forbid I am ever involved in something like this again I will do some things different.

RIP John.
Old 08-16-2004, 06:51 AM
Registered

I realize they're a 20/20 thing and from any event in life, there's room to grow and learn. It's good to have them, and to share them - because now someone else may handle a situation a little differently with the information they have learned. Just don't dwell on them and beat yourself up. All the things you did are normal reactions and you went above and beyond to try and help. That's what you need to remember.
Old 08-16-2004, 08:20 AM
Registered

Audio, you did the best I'm sure. Hard to think straight when you are into a scenerio like this.

RonP, I also noticed lots w/o life jackets at NY run in PB mag. WTF??
Old 08-16-2004, 11:27 AM
Registered

Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts

Doc: Thanks for he kind thought. Just got back home. We had a blast and absolutely killed it the whole time. Weather cleared up for the Poker Run on Saturday and there was lots of nice hardware.

later-Sonny
Old 08-16-2004, 12:14 PM
Charter Member #34
Charter Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Sonny Spectre 30
Doc: Thanks for he kind thought. Just got back home. We had a blast and absolutely killed it the whole time. Weather cleared up for the Poker Run on Saturday and there was lots of nice hardware.

later-Sonny
GREAT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Will be calling you soon. Keith is getting a run together for Labor day.
Old 08-16-2004, 03:19 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Ron P
So does this make you realize that wearing life jackets at all times isn't a bad idea?

Did anyone notice in the PB coverage of the NY Poker run how few participants wore live jackets? Isn't it the minimum you can do? Oh and don't forget the lanyard to the kill switch.

These things happen without warning. You must be prepared ahead of time.
Ron I said the same thing to Ian about the PB article. I am going to send them an email about it, and thought about starting a thread on the subject. This is probably not the thread to discuss this but I also notice that in all the test shots Teague is never wearing a life vest either. I think this this is a very bad message for BP magazine to be sending to their readers.
Old 08-16-2004, 03:22 PM
Registered

I was afraid that was who this was. My condolences.

http://www.syracuse.com/news/crime/p...5427319810.xml

Quick Reply: Another fatality, this time, up at the 1000 Islands

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.