A Man, His Boat, and a Wedding Ring

Notices

A Man, His Boat, and a Wedding Ring

Old 08-17-2004, 02:41 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: A Man, His Boat, and a Wedding Ring

RJ,

That happened several years ago to Neil Armstrong jumping off a haywagon on his farm. Another wedding ring hazard is shorting it between a + 12 v and ground. The gold conducts electricity AND heat real well. Get well soon!
Old 08-17-2004, 02:42 PM
Official OSO boat whore
Charter Member

A guy I knew dropped a wrench when working a 24v diesel tractor. He reached down for the wrench and grounded it between the hot terminal of the battery and the frame. The circuit passed through his ring and partially melted it fusing it to his finger. The 3rd degree burn destroyed his finger and it had to be amputated. Not pretty. I couldn't fathom the amount of pain that he was in.
Old 08-17-2004, 03:50 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by Cord
A guy I knew dropped a wrench when working a 24v diesel tractor. He reached down for the wrench and grounded it between the hot terminal of the battery and the frame. The circuit passed through his ring and partially melted it fusing it to his finger. The 3rd degree burn destroyed his finger and it had to be amputated. Not pretty. I couldn't fathom the amount of pain that he was in.
Been there and done that, peeled the skin all the way to 1st knuckle when I whipped that sucker off, that was 15 years ago and all thats left is a little scar I consider myself lucky, I was told by the er this sorta thing happens alot so be careful.
Old 08-17-2004, 04:42 PM
Registered

Re: A Man, His Boat, and a Wedding Ring

had a similar accident 4th july weekend ,changing my battery jumped 12 inch wrench across the terminals and you guessed it ,instant arc welder !that gold melted into my finger so f in fast I should have dipped my hand in the water but I panicked and ripped off my skin ouch!5 yrs ago and healled pretty good.permanent wedding scar.

p.s. motor was water locked battery was fine!
Old 08-17-2004, 06:01 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Ron,

Hope everything is doing ok. Tried to call you this morning but didn't get anyone. We'll be back from Mississippi tommorow, if there's anything at all I can do, let me know. If you need anyone to run the boat for you, I'm your man.
Old 08-17-2004, 06:23 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

OMG I had to stop reading after about the 3rd post, so sorry to hear of your accident.
I hope you have a speedy recovery. Maybe now I will not give Mr. P anymore grief for not wearing his ring. At the moment he too is in recovery and we think our boating season is over, so we feel your pain. On Sunday morning he fell water skiing and tore some ligaments in his foot. We are waiting on the results of a cat scan to see if he will need surgery.
Old 08-17-2004, 06:30 PM
Sun, sand and sea!
Gold Member

Ron, hope you are doing OK. Looks like that laptop and the wireless network were good investments after all!

Just Once and Mitch, it's not like you two needed a reason to not be married anyway!
Old 08-17-2004, 06:45 PM
OSO Content Provider
Commercial Member

Received 49 Likes on 23 Posts

Sorry to hear about your situation.

Hope you heal quickly.

I work in the Communications industry, and one of the company rules are, "No Rings allowed!!!"

Being as we climb poles.

We had a guy that was not so lucky as you. He fell from a pole and his ring caught on a cabinet attached to the pole. He fell to the ground after his ring cut his finger completely off.

He survived the fall, but lost the finger.

Digital Photography & Video one BYTE at a time !
Old 08-17-2004, 06:54 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Ron,
Sorry to hear about your accident. If there is anything I can do please give me a call. I'm sure now the club will not have a problem thinking of a safety topic for next month. It just goes to show everyone that when you least expect, anything can happen, even when doing everyday routine things. Take care and I hope you get better soon.

Last edited by RJATX71; 08-28-2004 at 10:10 PM.
Old 08-17-2004, 06:58 PM
GLH
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 19 Likes on 13 Posts

Who wears their wedding ring????

I tought jewlery was for women (save for a watch).... whats next nipple ring accidents???

Quick Reply: A Man, His Boat, and a Wedding Ring

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.