Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > General Discussion > General Boating Discussion
496 engines with raylar parts ? >

496 engines with raylar parts ?

Notices

496 engines with raylar parts ?

Old 08-30-2004, 08:48 PM
Registered

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Re: 496 engines with raylar parts ?

Not to but in but ,,, A friend of mine is looking at buying 496's too . He is really thinking about the "Marine Power " motors ..... 2 years warrenty instead of 1 year from Merc , and about $3000 a peice cheaper ! Anyone have any input on these engines ? As well as the upgrades ? Thanks !
Old 09-01-2004, 08:35 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

According to Ray there is a Nordic out west running some of the mods. I've been crossing my fingers that the program of heads/intake/cam and fuel delivery/ECM would realize the advertised potential. The theoretical (dyno) results are worth the price to me. However, the silence regarding real-world availability and experience is increasingly concerning to me.
Old 09-01-2004, 11:55 PM
Registered

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Wink Re: The science of power!

Chris288:
Our heads on a stock 496HO with the roller rockers made exactly 60Hp more than the iron heads at 5000rpms with just a 6 lb. boost in the fuel pressure.
There is no snake oil here! The stock heads on the block make 9.0 to 1 compression, ours make 10.0 to 1 compression. The stock heads flow 275cfm at .500 lift , ours flow 350cfm at .500 lift. Thats 25% more airflow alone. Couple that with a quickburn chamber and you make a lot more power! AS for everyone's real world concerns, they are not concerning to me, we will have plenty of guys running our kits in short order. We ready to perform in the real world! We love the skeptics, they become our best salesmen!
Thanks for the questions.
Ray @ Raylar
Old 09-02-2004, 06:43 AM
rv
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Ray,
I think what everyone wants to see is some actual speed increases of boats with your engine upgrade. The dyno figures certainly are good and helpful but what really counts to must of us is the actual speed increase. I am sure some people race dyno sheets but most want to see the gps number increase.

Some of the concern has to do with AZ Marine's claim of big hp gain on the 496HO and a couple guys spent the $5-6k to findout they only went 1-2mph faster. Not alot of bang for the buck.

I am not slamming you our your product. I know you have put alot of time and effort into your package as you have explained to me in detail the changes and benefits of them. We just want to see some actual performance data to compliment the dyno numbers you have shared with us.

It would be nice if some of your customers could share their experience with us.

Thanks,
Rick
Old 09-02-2004, 09:56 AM
Member #2 ....Jeeezz
Charter Member

I don't think anyone doubts the gains in HP added by the heads. By itself, I don't think 70-75 hp will gain you much in terms of speed. I would imagine, you would be out of $5k+ per engine after all is said and done.

What kind of speed increases would one see for the $ vs. $? for a cam change or $7k for a Whipple/ProCharger?

G
Old 09-03-2004, 12:25 AM
Registered

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Wink Re: 496 engines with raylar parts ?

We will very soon have a couple of project boat articles in at least two of the major HP boating magazines. They will be before and after certified gps results. I certainly don't advise anyone to just run our heads. That's why we developed a new intake manifold and some great cam profiles. Most of you know that the sytem approach is the only way to get efficient power from any motor.We have real data already from the dyno of the 100HP and 140lb/ft. increases on the 496HO with stock exhaust and stock Merc ECM. Seems like this kind of power properly applied with the right prop and setup should be worth more than 2 or 3 miles an hour. If it wasn't, then why would guys shell out 45 grand for HP525's. I think the 7K cost is very justified when you consider the savings in a stock 496HO cost plus our kit versus a HP525. As for superchargers on 496's, if the 496 had good stock heads and strong pistons, then a supercharger addition would definity be the best bang for the buck. Problem is the 496 doesn't have those items without an expensive rebuild. As I've said before, Raylar is very patient, we will prove ourselves and our products or not to many people are going to buy them and Heck, I am not doing this for my health!
Thanks for the feedback, it's healthy.
Raylar
Old 11-09-2004, 05:27 AM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Any news about testing
Has somebody tested one of Raylars kits until now ?
Old 05-05-2005, 12:17 PM
Registered

TTT..... anybody have any info YET !!!!!
Old 05-05-2005, 01:22 PM
Registered

There is a guy in Socal who just took delivery of a 29 Shockwave with twin 496's. I believe that he plans to install the Raylar kit on his motor fairly soon and that he plans to post his results.
Old 05-05-2005, 01:26 PM
Registered

Waiting patiently for some results... not !!!..

Quick Reply: 496 engines with raylar parts ?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.