Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   General Boating Discussion (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion-51/)
-   -   Latest Hurricane? (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion/86230-latest-hurricane.html)

open87 09-02-2004 06:24 AM

Re: Latest Hurricane?

they really don't know where it's going to cross, mother nature makes the rules up along the way.

Formula Outlaw 09-02-2004 06:25 AM

Is now projected to come ashore as Ft. Pierce and then start moving into a more northerly direction, churning it's way up the middle of the state and into Ga. By the size of this one, I would guess that if you are within 125 miles of the eye your are going to see some serious windage. At least here we're not too worried about the storm surge. West Palm and Lauderdale might see some TREMENDOUS storm surge.

DON'T TAKE CHANCES WITH THIS ONE. PLEASE PEOPLE USE YOUR HEADS AND DON'T BE A HERO. GET THE HELL OUT OF DODGE IF YOUR ON THE EAST COAST.

If any OSO'er need a place and you can put up with our animals, and my wife, we have a spare bedroom available. We're in Nokomis, north of Venice, south of Sarasota.

kitten 09-02-2004 06:46 AM

Florida Orders 500,000 to Evacuate
Hurricane Frances May Strengthen to Category 5
By TIM REYNOLDS, AP

STUART, Fla. (Sept. 2) - With some homes still swaddled in blue tarp and the deaths from Hurricane Charley still fresh in their minds, Southeastern residents once again warily eyed a menacing hurricane - a storm that could prove the mightiest yet this season.

Nearly a half-million people in Florida were ordered to leave their homes by Thursday afternoon as Hurricane Francis churned toward the U.S. mainland. States of emergency were declared in both Georgia and Florida.

Packing 140 mph winds and a course that has emergency officials in several Southeastern states jittery, the Category 4 storm was expected to fluctuate in intensity as it headed for a Labor Day weekend rendezvous.

Supermarkets along the state's Atlantic coast were stripped of bottled water and canned goods. In the pre-dawn hours Thursday, long lines were forming outside home supply stores in Palm Beach County, with dozens of people hoping for a chance to buy plywood or generators. A delivery truck's arrival was met with raucous applause. :mad:

Reservation clerks of sold-out hotels groaned with each telephone ring, knowing someone seeking a room was on the other end. And demand for gas was so great some stations were pumped dry.

''We can't control the kind of damage that Frances is going to cause, but if people are smart, lives can be saved,'' said Max Mayfield, the director of the National Hurricane Center in Miami.

Early Thursday, Frances' center was 520 miles east-southeast of West Palm Beach. It was moving west-northwest near 13 mph, and was expected to continue that course for the next 24 hours.

Forecasters said Frances - a Category 4 storm - could begin affecting Florida late Thursday, less than three weeks after Charley raked the state's west coast with 145 mph wind, causing billions of dollars in damage and killing 27 people.

Already, Frances is as strong as Charley, and forecasters said it could become a Category 5 with winds of 156 mph or higher :eek: by the time it makes landfall. The difference wasn't something residents spent time discussing.

''Category 4, Category 5, what's the difference? I'm still out of here,'' said Michele Byrd, 38, a food service executive from Vero Beach. ''This one will probably be bigger than Charley. :hothead: I don't see any way we're not getting hit.''

Late Wednesday, the National Hurricane Center issued a hurricane watch for about 280 miles of Florida coast from Florida City to Flagler Beach. A hurricane watch means that those areas could start feeling hurricane conditions within 36 hours. :hothead:

''People should not concentrate on the forecast track,'' forecaster Jack Beven said Thursday morning, urging residents of the entire watch region to immediately begin preparing. ''A slight dip in the track could result in big changes in landfall.'' :(

ScottB 09-02-2004 06:58 AM

I am in Jupiter FL on the Palm beach/Martin County line, no gas in our town at all. It doesn't look good. We are boarding up and going to try to hit the road today

dhlaw 09-02-2004 07:04 AM

I filled up the Gladiator with gas.... 200 gallons, I figure that I can siphon it out for the generator or car if necessary. That is all based upon the idea that the boat is still around!!!!

Love Machine 09-02-2004 07:25 AM

All you Floridians take care down there. A couple recommendations. Talk to your boat insurance agent now. They can give advise as to how to protect your boat and how to contact them if something happens. Same goes for you house and cars. Some boats have generators and if it's on a trailer and next to your house it can be used to power the house.

Start those chainsaws now to make sure they work. Better now than when a tree is already on your valuables and it don't work.

Here's hoping Frances takes a Louie and heads back to see. Good luck!

CMG 09-02-2004 07:46 AM

Originally Posted by d-hlaw
I filled up the Gladiator with gas.... 200 gallons, I figure that I can siphon it out for the generator or car if necessary. That is all based upon the idea that the boat is still around!!!!

!!!!! I hope its on a trailer and not in the water or on a lift!

Audiofn 09-02-2004 07:48 AM

Big sucker isn't she!!! And we still have a long season left......

Jon

DJD 09-02-2004 07:55 AM

I booked a ticket last night to fly down to Stuart FL today (via West Palm Beach). We have a place right on the St Lucie Inlet, 50 yards to the ocean. I just decided to cancel & let insurance take care of things, I don't want to get stuck down there. Our neighbor is going in to get a few personal nick nacks out for me before they leave today.
Good lick down there & get out while you can!!

SpeedGirl 09-02-2004 08:21 AM

I have a stupid QUESTION.... My parents have a place outside Stuart (Indian Town).... This may seem weird but where is the safest place in the house to hide some valuables from the storm.... Their neighbor is going to go over and suggested to put them in the Fridge or Oven.... :eek: What do you all think?