Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   General Boating Discussion (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion-51/)
-   -   Latest Hurricane? (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion/86230-latest-hurricane.html)

THEJOKER 08-31-2004 01:18 PM

Latest Hurricane?

I just took a look @ www.weather.com and it looks like the newest hurricane is to hit Fla. Am I looking @ it right that Daytona is in the path? We have a place on the beach and river there and we're concerned to say the least. Anybody have any info or live in Daytona? BH

cuda 08-31-2004 01:29 PM

Re: Latest Hurricane?

I'm in Deland, 20 miles east of Daytona. The latest looks like it may go north of us. Nobody knows for sure judging from the last forcast of Charlie. :mad:

Downtown42 08-31-2004 02:16 PM

It looks like a nasty too. Very tight, well defined eye, #4 now at 145mph...Bunker down. :chick:

CigDaze 08-31-2004 02:25 PM

Here's the latest:
http://www.nhc.noaa.gov/ftp/graphics...F/311628W5.gif

This storm is a beast and WILL do a lot of damage...where, is yet to be determined.

cuda 08-31-2004 02:39 PM

It seems every update it's projected a little farther north.

berns29scarab 08-31-2004 02:42 PM

by friday it will have Jersey in its sights.... :eek:

Iggy 08-31-2004 02:52 PM

by friday it will have Jersey in its sights....
Been there, done that.
Back in the mid 70's the wife and I were renting a small house on Laurel Ave. in Pine Beach. A hurricane was due to hit and the storm surge was expected to be high, even in downtown Toms River. We evacuated and stayed with a friend living off Fisher Blvd.
Good thing, the bay rose high enough to fill our front yard with 3 feet of water.
Even on a regular full moon high tide the water would wash over the end of the street deep enough for the ducks to swim across.

mr_velocity 08-31-2004 03:40 PM

Originally Posted by cuda
I'm in Deland, 20 miles east of Daytona. The latest looks like it may go north of us. Nobody knows for sure judging from the last forcast of Charlie. :mad:

East of Daytona?

CigDaze 08-31-2004 04:00 PM

Originally Posted by mr_velocity
East of Daytona?

That Cuda...What's he talkin' about? :D :D :
He still thinks he lives on the gulf.

cuda 08-31-2004 04:12 PM

Oops, I meant Daytona was east of me. I do that all the time.

gdfatha 08-31-2004 04:15 PM

1 Attachment(s)

Originally Posted by cuda
Oops, I meant Daytona was east of me. I do that all the time.

As of 5:11

Jassman 08-31-2004 05:15 PM

Boat US has a great site for hurricane watching.

http://www.boatus.com/hurricanes/hurricane_forecast.asp

let's keep hoping it turns away from land.

Sandy

PureAdrenaline 08-31-2004 06:42 PM

Awesome site Jass.................I am in the Palm Beach area.....its been chaos today!!!!!!!!!!! :eek:

Donzi Corleone 08-31-2004 07:09 PM

I just saw the new advisory and its starting to jog North NW. So Georgia might soon be in its sights. Maybe Fla will just get a mean surf and rain. Whoever gets it, it's not gonna be pretty.

georges 08-31-2004 07:12 PM

www.noaa.gov is the source

open87 08-31-2004 08:46 PM

this storm is going to hurt where ever it hits really bad :(

THEJOKER 08-31-2004 09:07 PM

My dad keeps telling me that hurricanes don't hit Daytona. We'll see - fingers crossed that it doesn't! BH

dangerkitty2 08-31-2004 09:32 PM

Water..................Matches

Ice......................First Aid Kit

Tarps ..................Candles

Generator..............Cash

Propane

Chainsaw

Flashlights

Batteries

Fill up cars

Here we go again........... :eek:

dangerkitty2 08-31-2004 09:42 PM

1 Attachment(s)
:eek:

cuda 08-31-2004 09:49 PM

Glenn, are you still going to the poker run?

cuda 08-31-2004 09:51 PM

Oops, looking worse. The new forecast put out two minutes ago has it straightening out and going straight at Florida and coming ashore at Vero Beach just like the original forecast. :mad:

shiftgreen 09-01-2004 12:17 AM

Fran caught us off big time in 96, im in raleigh, and we were screwed for 2 weeks. Sustained winds of almost 80mph. Not even the weathermen knew that was coming over raleigh. So it still has a chance to miss florida, Im hoping that b/c im going on my honeymoon to orlando in 3 weeks. It's possible it could hit florida, but its rare that 2 major hurricanes (cat 4) hit the same state within weeks apart.

Iggy 09-01-2004 05:17 AM

Local weather forcasters are all saying it'll hit Florida.
All news and radio stations are pushing everyone to prepare NOW! Don't wait.
I caught a piece on the 5am news about schools could possibly be closed Friday.
Plywood and ice have alredy in short supply and stores have started rationing things out. I'm sure ice will be rationed to three bags per also. Some stores were rationing ice at one bag per.

Latest news report said Frances will pass over Orlando as a Cat 2 hurricane.
Charley was a Cat 1 when it hit Orlando.

I have a bad feeling we won't survive this one.
We were lucky with Charley.

open87 09-01-2004 06:18 AM

by the end of the weekend there will be some major destruction... somewhere :(

cuda 09-01-2004 06:56 AM

Not looking good. The latest track has it going directly through Orlando. :(

Formula Outlaw 09-01-2004 07:16 AM

We should put a an extremely powerful laser on a satelite and then just vaporize them when they form way out in the Atlantic.

This one is almost twice the size of Charlie, a much larger area is going to be affected by this one. If it hits Daytona, everyone from Miami to the Florida/Ga. border is going to a whole lotta wind.

Good luck everyone. Here we go again.....

How's the boating in Montana???????????

MIAMIBOYZ 09-01-2004 07:19 AM

I almost lost my life in Andrew, and I only hope every year that it makes a U-TURN back to the ocean. Lets hope this happens, because
this Hurricane has alot of water in it.

cuda 09-01-2004 08:11 AM

I have men working in Ft Pierce which is 20 miles south of Vero Beach. They are right now predicting Vero as ground zero. I'm going to have them work late today, then get the hell out of dodge tonight. If they wait until tomorrow to leave, they will get stuck in the traffic jam from hell. I bet I'll catch hell from the super and the project managers, but I'll just have to deal with them. Some things are more important than making a buck.

Ange 09-01-2004 08:17 AM

Cuda, thank you for that last statement! All too many people forget about the human factor. Everyone take care down there.

IceAngel 09-01-2004 08:25 AM

You guys ALL be CAREFUL!!!!!! My prayers are with you

Terra

Donzi Corleone 09-01-2004 09:41 AM

The Bahamas are the only hope in weakin it or sending it in another dir. Im so up in the air here in Tpa. I live in Brandon and when Charley blew through 40 miles to my East there was nothing here. I mean the afternoon storms that come through were more intense. I never would have known a Cat.3 hurricane was just east of me.

robyw1 09-01-2004 11:30 AM

1 Attachment(s)
:eek: Frances, What a nice eye you have

berns29scarab 09-01-2004 12:43 PM

keeping fingers crossed for you all...i have family in Punt Gorda as well as Lady Lake (ocala)....

thedonz 09-01-2004 02:58 PM

i respect what ya said cuda not a lot of people see it that way. i'm with albert i hope it does a u-turn and goes into the ocean. what luck do we have we just bought our gun this weekend that just past we picked up and we are really looking foward to enjoy it this weekend :rolleyes:

donz jr mike

cuda 09-01-2004 03:03 PM

I just called my guys and told them to gas up now. Stations around here are already running out of gas. I just Debbie to fill up the Sport Trac.

JUSTONCE 09-01-2004 03:33 PM

My buddies in Melbourne just called and said they are heading for Orlando. Looks like Melbourne may take it square.

CigDaze 09-01-2004 03:58 PM

This fukrs big enough to swalow the whole state.
http://www.ssd.noaa.gov/PS/TROP/DATA...OAT/VIS/20.jpg

Brace yourselves folks, no playing games, just leave if it's coming your way.

dhlaw 09-01-2004 05:08 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Here is the latest storm track from the OSO weather center

kitten 09-01-2004 06:11 PM

:drink: :drink: :drink: Have another one!

Pre-Hurricane Party??

CMG 09-01-2004 06:37 PM

People shelters will not take your pets, plan ahead.