Notices

The Great Salt Lake??

Old 09-01-2004, 06:14 AM
Registered

Received 293 Likes on 107 Posts
Default Re: The Great Salt Lake??

1 time we went sking in utah and after the first day we went to pizza hut for dinner and orderd afew pies and a few pitchers of beer. when we said beer the lady serving us flipped out guess her horse buggy was down
Old 09-01-2004, 09:54 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You hard a hard time getting a drink at all before the Olympics were held there. They had to catch up with the times a little because of the Olympics. I think since 2002 most of the liquor laws have been softened some.

For a while, you could only be served alcohol with a meal in a restaurant.

SLC is definately a different planet.

Because the streets are so wide, they want you to pick up an orange flag on one side of the street, and carry the orange flag across the street with you, and drop it in a container on the other side for someone coming back across. And they have crosswalks in the middle of the block. Traffic must stop for your little orange flag.

I guess when your streets are almost one hundred feet across it's an issue.

Every time I see the great salt lake it makes me think of a lake on another planet.

SLC is also the dumpster capital of the world. All night, every night, all you hear is garbage trucks downtown. Drives me nuts. Slam. Beep Beep Beep. Slam. Beep Beep Beep Beep.
Old 09-01-2004, 10:31 AM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Hey Fund..... I lived there for 36 years.... I can remember my Mother having to "register" as a drinker.... yeap... you got it... You had to apply to the state liquor commision... and for One dollar they would give you a "liquor card" that had a number.... When you wanted some liquor.. you had to go to the state run store... surrender your card... then tell the clerk what booze you wanted...then they would write down your number and sell you the booze... that way they could track how much liquor you were purchasing... Talk about an infringment on your privacy... that lasted only three years until it was repealed as unconstitutional... ok... now I'll date myself... it was the years 1958 through 1960.......
Old 09-01-2004, 10:40 AM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

So I take it that lake would eat my manifolds? Darn. What does it smell like?

Roby
Old 09-01-2004, 10:42 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by robyw1
So I take it that lake would eat my manifolds? Darn. What does it smell like?

Roby
The worst pu......... uhhhh.... it smells like rotting fish... even though there aren't any fish there.........
Old 09-01-2004, 10:47 AM
Registered

During the time I lived in SLC... I saw the lake go from a historic low level to a historic high level... in 1983 the level of the lake rose so high that I-80 which passes by the south end of the lake had to be sandbagged and was about 8 feet below the lake level.... then the next year the road bed was raised 10 feet in height... now the level of the lake is back down again. The only good thing about the lake level going down is the water gets saltier... which is good for the industries that extract salt and minerals from the lake... Ever wonder where the hydrochloric acid you use in your swimming pools comes from?... Or some of the salt that you put on your food?.... Or the lead in the tire weights... or the magnesium for aluminum alloys?.... they get a lot of it from the Great Salt Lake...
Old 09-01-2004, 10:56 AM
Registered

Man, that's a switch.
Salt Lake City to Los Angeles? Talk about culture shock.

A certain LDS family whose daughter was a little bit country started a huge charity... so our annual meeting is in SLC.

I have to admit it's an interesting place. I go in October every year and the weather is fairly mild.

Temple square is pretty impressive. I find that the tour guides don't try so hard to indoctrinate you if you ask them out on a date right away.
Old 09-01-2004, 10:57 AM
Registered

Oh, we both forgot... it's right next to the Bonneville flats. (Same salt)

And wasn't the whole intermountain area a huge ocean once?
Old 09-01-2004, 11:41 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by fund razor
Oh, we both forgot... it's right next to the Bonneville flats. (Same salt)

And wasn't the whole intermountain area a huge ocean once?
Yes... it was a large inland sea called Lake Bonneville.... it was there just after the last ice age... I think it's been gone about 50,000 years... I used to hike along the old lakeline in my youth and wonder why there were sea shells on a mountain side... There was a natural damn area of the lake up in Idaho... (that's how big it was ) anyway... there must have been an earthquake and this natural damn area started leaking... soon there was a torrent of water rushing down what is now the Snake river in Idaho... Geologists suspect that in less than a month... most of the lake drained into the pacific. If you drive along a certain roadway in Idaho there are markers pointing out the trough that was worn away as the lake drained. As far as culture shock moving from Utah to Los Angeles... not really... I am not Mormon so it was a relief to get away from the suffocating influence of the LDS. ( Psssttt... don't say anything bad about Mormons... I have it on good authority that Wasabe is a Mo' ).........
Old 09-01-2004, 11:43 AM
Charter Member #34
Charter Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

We like to go to Utah to snow ski. Some of the best in the country in my opinion. When you fly in you really get a good view of the lake.

The lake has always interested me because a good friend back in grade school made a trip there and told me that there was so much salt in the water that you would not sink when you went swimming in it.

Well I guess I never learned if this is true or not, but have remembered it now for 35 years!

Anyone know?

Quick Reply: The Great Salt Lake??

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.