Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > General Discussion > General Boating Discussion
750 sterling vs 750 Zuls............Again! >

750 sterling vs 750 Zuls............Again!

Notices

750 sterling vs 750 Zuls............Again!

Old 09-17-2004, 11:07 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: 750 sterling vs 750 Zuls............Again!

Originally Posted by SummerObsession
I don't have any experience with either company.
However, I do have a little race engine experience.

I would have to think that being an ex pro stock engine builder, Zul would definitely have the advantage when it comes to naturally aspirated stuff. Sterling seems to have the big HP blown stuff figured out.!!
I think Sterling has a lot more championship under their belt with the Super Cat motors, naturally aspirated.
Old 09-17-2004, 11:26 AM
Registered

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Man, this sheds some light!! I always thought Sterling was "the $hit"!!
I just maybe they still are in the BIG HP motors!!
Old 09-17-2004, 11:29 AM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by mr_velocity
I think Sterling has a lot more championship under their belt with the Super Cat motors, naturally aspirated.
That's a fact.
However, how many motors does Zul have in a supercat? How about TMP?
If I was buying a spercat tomorrow, I would probably use Sterling (is any other brand legal by the way, I don't keep up with that stuff).
However, we're talking about a pleasure boat and not a supercat. I don't see what one has to do with the other.
Old 09-17-2004, 11:59 AM
Charter Mod
Charter Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by WickedWon
EFI is the future and Merc's gonna prove it but........ it's also going to ruin a lot of boating days when thay don't work. Right now I carry a spare sparkbox, coil, bowl gaskets, power valves and hand tools. If that sucker quits ( I said quits not "breaks" ) the odds are I'll have it running in a half hour. My friends experience with the new HP 525's in the Dragon have shown how helpless we all are when it decides not to run. The myriad of unique sensors and ECM's is more than most of us will be willing to purchase and carry much less diagnose. It's definitely the future but servicing them is gonna be a ***** especially after they've spent a few years in the marine (saltwater ) environment.
That is exaclty why there aren't more EFI setups. My good buddy tried an EFI system other than Mercs a few years ago. It NEVER ran right, and sometimes not at all. The biggest problem is that NO ONE knew how the hell to work on them. He had to fly a guy in from California to tune them, and they still weren't right when he left.

Bottom line, EFI is the future, but the future is distant.
Old 09-17-2004, 12:47 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 35 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by TwinStepGun
That is exaclty why there aren't more EFI setups. My good buddy tried an EFI system other than Mercs a few years ago. It NEVER ran right, and sometimes not at all. The biggest problem is that NO ONE knew how the hell to work on them. He had to fly a guy in from California to tune them, and they still weren't right when he left.

I agree with you on that one.
Old 09-17-2004, 12:54 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

I don't think you could go wrong with builders like Sterling,Pfaff,Chief and Zul. I'm surprised no one suggested comparing the components both builders would use and then compare price and service availability. I'd be careful with perceptions and generalities. I can't remember the exact numbers but I think less than 40% of Sterling's motors go to the hard core racers. There was an article about Sterling recently in PRA or Powerboat on just this. I've got 140 hours on a Sterling rebuild of my 800SC's. Knock on wood, but It never fails to amaze me with how well they run with just plug and oil changes. They start easy, run smooth and the temperatures are always on the low side of normal. I've called the shop a couple of times with questions and they've always took all the time required to answer my questions. Just my .02. As I said, I don't think you can go wrong with these two builders.
Old 09-17-2004, 01:05 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by TwinStepGun

Probably true.
Like I said, I have no experience with marine efi (other than Merc stuff), but hopefully it will be improving rapidly!

I know there are several sets of efi motors out there now, does anyone have any firsthand experience?

What about whipple, Merc 1075's, and others? Are they working?
Old 09-17-2004, 01:54 PM
Registered

I always thought of Sterling as the ultimate in engine builders. I had a friend that used to work there back in the Alcone days and some of the things I heard really impressed me.
I also remember seeing a post of one of the Saber guys that filled a motor up with water on Saturday and by Wed. the motor had been gone thru and dynoed. That was pretty impressive. Unless Sterling is one of those companies that only knows who you are if your spending over 100k a year with them and forgets about the little guy.
I do know I emailed them with some questions on my heads that were supposedly ported by them (old "B" class motor) and never heard from them.
Old 09-17-2004, 02:00 PM
Registered

What is the price difference between the 2 (or 3 including TMP) the 625-750hp bracket seems to be a HUGE market for for all of us speed freaks without the pocket book to go the 1100-1300 full race setups (or pleasure setups that need frequent rebuilds) obviously it's been discussed that merc has a hole in their lineup here, so custom is the only way to go. Most builders with the exception of Chief and TMP dont even put prices up on their websites. Anyone know why? It makes it kind of hard to compare motors and or builders dont ya think?
Or is it if you have to ask, You cant afford it?
Old 09-17-2004, 03:13 PM
Registered

Jim and Jerry!!!!

Kiss my AZZ!! Rice burner boys!!!

Dan

Quick Reply: 750 sterling vs 750 Zuls............Again!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.