Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > General Discussion > General Boating Discussion
Anybody hiring in South Florida??? >

Anybody hiring in South Florida???

Notices

Anybody hiring in South Florida???

Old 09-22-2004, 02:23 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: Anybody hiring in South Florida???

Originally Posted by georges
Rick,
Don't feel too bad. I have had 2, yes 2, two million dollar sales fall apart this year! Those were my only deals so far too! Of course I won't have to pay too much in taxes either.
Now, don't you feel better already?
George,

your in Real estate??? Right?? I Love buying and selling houses, and the thought crossed my mind to get my license, but the uncertainty of when, and if you are going to get paid keeps me away. I know a few guys who have done very well in the biz. but I just dont think its for me.

See ya in Deerfield???

Rick
Old 09-22-2004, 02:24 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by bearpaw
I can help you on this side of FL road construction is my game 239-280-7759
Which side is that???

West I assume???

Let me see what happens in the next few weeks, I also Know a tile guy(and so does everyone else on OSO) that I can work for if I decide to travel.

Thanks for the offer

Rick
Old 09-22-2004, 05:37 PM
Registered

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Rick,
I recently went through the opposite turn of events. I worked Construction for 15 years, even ran my own small biz for 5. Was doing pretty well (back when I could still afford a nice boat - AND AFFORD TO USE IT 6 DAYS A WEEK!!!!!!!).
Then everything went to hell.
I did manage to get a so/so Mgmt. job at a window Co.
Then the wife got a really good job offer that moved us to Cincinnati area. Nobody was willing to pay me what I was worth here, so I went to work on a temp basis at her company as a machine operator. Inside 2 months I became fulltime, and inside a year I'm a desk jockey. (sometimes...)
Sounds like I do the same thing as you - all the Purchasing, receiving, Haz-Mat shipping, Part-time Chemist, minor maintanence, Production if I have some free time (or if someone doesn't show-up), sometimes even Janitor.
Good news is I just got a promotion. I've only been in this Industry for 2 years and I've moved up quite a bit just by HARD WORK and INTELLIGENCE.
Yes, the wife works for the same Co. - but she is in the Office/Customer Service area - has NOTHING to do with the production side. So that was no influence on my position - a lot of people in the Co. don't even know we're married.
Fortunately for me, I'm working for one of those Co.'s that is buying up the smaller ones. It's a sign of the times...

If the time comes, (or you may want to put feelers out now - hell you're already doing that...) don't worry. Co.'s need guy's like us, just work hard and do whatever it takes to get a job done - you'll be fine - it may just take a year or two to prove yourself. I'm still recovering from all that I went through (financially), but it's getting better everyday.
I'll have to hook up with ya in KW - can't wait to be there!!!
Tim
Old 09-22-2004, 07:01 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Rick,

Good luck in what ever you decide.

I worked for a company for numerous years in all aspects and was transferred around quite a bit. NC to SC to NC to NJ to NC to GA. My wife, that I picked up in NJ, said enough and did not want to go back to NC even though it was a different area. They were closing the manufacturing facility in GA so I decided to leave the company. I took a "fun job" for a while and thought I would give it 2 years and see what happens. The company was Rebco Racing/Outlaw Disc Brakes. I started in sales and track side support and moved to Director of Manufacturing (have to use that Engineering degree for something). Anyway after 5 years Rebco was sold and I later arranged to buy Outlaw. I had just recently bought a new house that was more than 2 times the price of the old one and had signed the papers to finalizing the deal on the Fountain. This was just days before I was told I many not have a job because of the intent to sell Outlaw. The boat was now mine and it is a good thing it happened then because I definately would not have it now otherwise. Anyway after several months I was able to receive some financing and had the existing owners finance the rest. The working capitol came from a home equity loan. All loans at this point will be paid in 5 years after the purchase. Anyway just keep in mind that it does not take as much money as you would think.

Good luck,

Todd
Old 09-22-2004, 07:09 PM
Registered

Rick, Great attitude. You'll be OK. If there is anything I can do let me know. I was a headhunter for 7 years and am pretty good at getting resumes in front of decision makers as opposed to the Human resources black hole. Hang in and stop talking about that Donzi, its a Pantera you want
PS My boat, truck and trailer are leaving MD finally tomorrow and I hope to see you in Deerfield for the race
Old 09-22-2004, 09:56 PM
Registered

Rick:
Yes, buying and selling for yourself can be fun and rewarding (with a bit of luck of course), however, the straight sales aspect of it has its ups and downs!
You have no idea how much time is spent being jerked around by people who either have no intention of buying anything, or others who buy then flake out for one reason or another.
Unfortunately, we are not like lawyers who just bill people for their time, effort and expenses.
It seems everytime real estate prices shoot up, more and more people get a real estate license because they think it is easy money, then when prices stabilize and we go into a buyer's market, a lot of people leave the business.....until the next cycle, and it repeats itself!!!
Yes, I will be in Deerfield, see you there.

Fred:
I just bought a house in the Bellaire Bluffs area of Largo, (a steal compared to Fort Lauderdale prices) not far from where you are, I may need to find some real work over there for my wife and myself. We will be moving there over the next couple of months.
Old 09-23-2004, 08:55 AM
Registered

Thanks for the info guys. I have talked to a few people, and had a meeting with someone in the boat Biz, who I would love to work for, I will find something.

Pachanga, I thought you were the brake guy, I remember the story from somewhere.

Scott, George, Thanks for the info guys, and we'll see you guys in Deerfield.

buoyhunter, see ya(and the rest of the OSO Crew) in Key West, I cant wait!!!!
Old 09-23-2004, 09:10 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by georges

Fred:
I just bought a house in the Bellaire Bluffs area of Largo, (a steal compared to Fort Lauderdale prices) not far from where you are, I may need to find some real work over there for my wife and myself. We will be moving there over the next couple of months.
Last time I checked they weren't giving away property in Bellaire Bluffs either. Real nice area, good luck with the move.
Old 09-23-2004, 09:39 AM
Performance Boat Center
VIP Member

Received 17 Likes on 5 Posts

Rick,
I'll sell you a membership card to my club...
954-809-8739
Wright Performance, MTI, Cigarette, Sunsation
Old 09-23-2004, 11:25 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by Tim G.
Rick,
I'll sell you a membership card to my club...
LMAO!!!!!

Dude, we may be spending the winter on the beach..........

cant afford to go boating,

cant afford to go drinkin'

Check your PM's. sending you one now.

Quick Reply: Anybody hiring in South Florida???

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.