Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   General Boating Discussion (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion-51/)
-   -   Cig Or Apache (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion/87763-cig-apache.html)

thedonz 09-28-2004 06:26 PM

Cig Or Apache

I Have Been Wanting To Bring Up This Thread For A Long Time But I Haven't Cause I Don't Want It To Lead To No Disrespect Or Arguments. I Know That There Both Pretty Much The Same Hull (38 /41) But If Ya Had The Choice Of Picking Between A 38 Cig (gun) Or A 41 Apache What Would Ya Get And Why. Please No Arguments !!!

donz jr mike

frequentflyer 09-28-2004 06:44 PM

Re: Cig Or Apache

Cig. Even if they are the same boat and they ride the same, I would go with a Cig because of the name recognition and resale value. I would figure that you are more likely to sell your Cig faster than your Apache.
People that know nothing about boats still know Cigs... No disrespect to Apache, even if they are a better boat, we don't keep boats forever and name recognition is important at that level of investment.

BADA BING 09-28-2004 06:59 PM

When it says # 1, that means only "1" thing...1st choice :D

I met Bobby from Apache last year, great guy, but the name and the brand are really no more (no disrespect) with Cigarette...it's the legend and the legend lives on :cool:

Chris 09-28-2004 07:04 PM

Saber!!! If you want a NEW boat with the same hull as the Apache.

bryanspeedracer 09-28-2004 07:16 PM

I'm curious, How could the 38 Cig and 41 Apache be the same hull? I've heard this before with the 38 Top Gun and 36 Gladiator.

How do they do that? Raise the freeboard? Am I nuts?

I couldn't decide on either. It's like Pam Anderson vs. Carmen Electra. Both hot in their own way and far too expensive for me to maintain.

Steve_H 09-28-2004 07:25 PM

Apache

there rare , therefore easier to sell imho. supply and demand!
plus i wanted something different.......

ApacheCarl 09-28-2004 07:32 PM

A 41 Apache is almost a full 4' longer than a 38 Top Gun. A 41 Apache is 41' 6" and a Cig Top Gun is 37' something( I can't remember off the top of my head, must be getting old :( ) That 4' makes a difference in the rough stuff. You really should compare the 41 Apache with a 42 Cig. Just my humble opinion :)

Havasu Cig 09-28-2004 07:37 PM

If you are comparing a new T/S Gun to the Apache it is Cig hands down. Throw some 700's in the Gun and you will be running over 100. Throw some 1000's in the Apache and you would be lucky to see mid 90's. Both awesome boats though... :cool:

Pantera1 09-28-2004 07:40 PM

Apache

BLee 09-28-2004 07:46 PM

Originally Posted by Havasu Cig
If you are comparing a new T/S Gun to the Apache it is Cig hands down. Throw some 700's in the Gun and you will be running over 100. Throw some 1000's in the Apache and you would be lucky to see mid 90's. Both awesome boats though... :cool:

Yep.

SLINGSHOT 09-28-2004 07:56 PM

Originally Posted by Chris

or you could just buy a new apache from apache

SLINGSHOT 09-28-2004 07:57 PM

apache simply they are more rare handle rough water better ...just my .02

Comanche3Six 09-28-2004 08:37 PM

41 Apache
The finest in the rough water

Chart 09-28-2004 08:43 PM

Originally Posted by bryanspeedracer
I couldn't decide on either. It's like Pam Anderson vs. Carmen Electra. Both hot in their own way and far too expensive for me to maintain.

:D

Semper Fi 09-28-2004 09:06 PM

I would prefer the Cigarette. I couldn't possibly afford to maintain the 1,000's I would need in the Apache to run in the high 90's. A TS Cig (38 or 42) would run high 90's with alot less power. This is my "practical" thinking.

If money was no object, I would go for the Apache. They do have an awesome ride.

rouxsterre 09-28-2004 10:00 PM

Apache. . . .

It's the exclusivity, the 'Outlaw' heritage, the racing heritage, the mystique of the marque. . . . and owning the "baddest of the bad" in offshore v-hulls. No hull in the Cigarette line ( or any other line ) can approach the nearly mythical status of the 41 Apaches.

Wasabe 09-28-2004 10:09 PM

Chris if you had to chose between Cig or Apache which one would it be? If neither then put neither.

thedonz 09-28-2004 10:36 PM

i agree with everyone that votes for cig and apache. like i always say when people talk about the best boat lines ,best offshore boats i always say "cig or apache enough said" ,but every kinda of speed boat is always referred as a cig even if it was made in your backyard, and it takes a lot to earn that respect and recognition . i do think that apache hold the value more then a cig, for ex one of my all time favorite apache is "tonto" and i would guess if he was to sell his boat he would sell in the upper 200's and it's a boat that is at least 13 yrs old (if i'm correct) and yes it will take him a while but in the long run he will get it. the one thing i do like more about apache is that due to the fact that not so many were built, so every single one of them has it's own piece of history. but i would go with the cig ya just can't add a # 1 to the side of the boat without earning it. :D

donz jr mike

keeponplanewayne 09-28-2004 10:42 PM

theres no other ride like an apache, if you have had the chance to drive one your answer to the question would be fairly easy. NOTHING RIDES LIKE AN APACHE

clearcut3 09-28-2004 10:50 PM

I can tell you I LOVE cigs and think there isn't a finer boat around...except ONE :D . If money is no object I would take a 41' Apache with #6 SSM dry sumps and some 1200HP's.

As a matter of fact I can tell you the exact one I want...GOSTRUNNER...that has been my favorite boat for a long time...just too much money to maintain. Apache has an unbelievable racing legacy and real boat people know Apache :).

clearcut3 09-29-2004 05:46 AM

Originally Posted by Too Old
Have you been over to Mark's shop to see Ghost Runner? It has some new BIG power. :D

I know it's not in my budget at this time so I have stayed as far away as possible...I would hate to have bought it with no motors and had to store it and just dream about the hole package one day :D

If Lake Murray wasn't 90% of my boating future Apache would be the choice for me. If I was on the Ocean a lot of time there is nothing finer than Gostrunner :)

gmhdfan 09-29-2004 06:59 AM

Originally Posted by Too Old
Apache.

Look, they're both awesome boats and a guy that is lucky enough to own either one qualifies for hero status in my book.

But, there's 3 more feet to that 41 Apache. There were fewer of them made and I think to the true offshore afficinado, they're a much rarer commodity. One that was built in a wild time in offshore history. Each Apache had a unique build and character. Hell, there's a a few guys around here that can give you the history on ANY Apache ever built. To me, that gives the Apache the edge.

That about sums it up. "Apache, If I had to explain you wouldn't understand" :cool: :)

SinkorSwim 09-29-2004 07:12 AM

I seen in the classifieds of EBM that Star Chaser is for sale on a trailer,, but basically a bare hull for $45K..

My vote if money was no object.. Apache 47,, With trip Sterlings... trouble is that I would have to keep Scott & Ruben on retainer to maintenance it... :eek:

Nykamp 09-29-2004 07:32 AM

Love both, but I would go with APACHE or a new SABER. Steve

super termoli 09-29-2004 07:32 AM

yep, too old summed it up admirably well: every apache is a piece of offshore history. but if i had enough courage to go for a 41 with big power, i'd go all the way and have a 47 with triple indecent power...

As far as comparing a T/S with an apache goes, i'm also sure that a 2005 viper is faster, more reliable and makes more sense than an AC Cobra 427. But I'll take the Cobra thank you very much! Why? It's called character...

GLH 09-29-2004 07:45 AM

Originally Posted by super termoli
i'd go all the way and have a 47 with triple indecent power...

Yahh but how fast can three diesels go!!! :D:D:D

WickedWon 09-29-2004 07:53 AM

The look, the ride, the " foregiveness" in operation yet faster and stronger, not a bad combination.......but thats just my opinion :D :D

The old TG's and the 41' pleasures are someeeeeeewhat comparable but the full stagger 41' hotrods are a totaly different animal in the rough, 18" centers work when it gets choppy.

Stormrider 09-29-2004 08:04 AM

I'd have to agree w/ WW.
The ride w/ Mark & Lucy will make me say APACHE!
That boat w/ 650s ran 84mph.
I'd like to see it w/ the 850s. :D

MIAMIBOYZ 09-29-2004 08:15 AM

Great boats to say the least, my favorite and maybe the best made Apache ever is the 47 KEMOSABE with triple Chief blower motors. I prefer the 41 over the 38 cig or the 42 Tiger. However, it takes less power and less $$$$ to run over 100 in the Top Gun. :D

Nauti Kitty 09-29-2004 08:22 AM

Originally Posted by Havasu Cig

All true,

until it gets rough,

or your bravo's break,

or both at the same time. :( NK

Nauti Kitty 09-29-2004 08:25 AM

It's funny to read this thread one day after I went out in LEOPAJM's old 41 saber with triple 800's in three to five foot waves on lake michigan. I wish everyone on this board could have had 20 minutes on this boat with me last night. No one would have been dissapointed. Unbelieveble :drink: NK

super termoli 09-29-2004 08:26 AM

GLH, I like the roar of a big V8 too... but as I said, I'm not brave enough to face the maintenance. Honestly, I didn't even think about diesels in an Apache 47, that would be downright disrespectful. Wait, come to think of it, a boat that heavy would probably work much better with triple Yanmars or twin Seateks than with triple 500s.

super termoli 09-29-2004 08:34 AM

right, nauti kitty... and true offshore rarely means flat water. if you go far enough out on the ocean, you can almost always wipe yourself with a 100 mph capability...

WesSmith 09-29-2004 08:53 AM

I would vote for the Apache and not just because I own one.

I'm not sure that top end speed is what really should determine what the " preferred boat " is for so many people.....how often and how long do you run the boat at 100MPH ? How many of us race their boats ?

The ride is awesome in both boats but I would give the edge to the Apache because of its length and weight...in 5-6 footers I'm not planning on running top end speeds anyway....

That's my .02 !

WickedWon 09-29-2004 08:56 AM

Originally Posted by Nauti Kitty
It's funny to read this thread one day after I went out in LEOPAJM's old 41 saber with triple 800's in three to five foot waves on lake michigan. I wish everyone on this board could have had 20 minutes on this boat with me last night. No one would have been dissapointed. Unbelieveble :drink: NK

AMEN ! How many times have I told you how freak'n good that damn thing works ! In the rough it's been CLOBBERING everything that floats for years, it might be the best " all around " ( thats code for low maintenance and ease of operation) serious, BIG WATER, offshore ever built.

Nauti Kitty 09-29-2004 09:03 AM

I can't argue with that after last night. One of my good friends bought it and Doug thinks I may have trouble with him in the rough. I told him last night that next summer we will find out. The new owner has never owned an offshore boat so I'm giving him the fall and winter to learn how to drive it. I told Curt last night we need to thrash him everytime we go out for the next 6 months cause there may be a payback we don't like in our future. Awesome ride. :cool: NK

BLee 09-29-2004 10:14 AM

1 Attachment(s)

Originally Posted by Nauti Kitty
All true,

until it gets rough,

or your bravo's break,

or both at the same time. :( NK

:D :D

They can be rigged with 6's, and they are stronger than the old one's, and with these Oil prices, you may see one soon. :drink: :drink:

I think that Parnell could give one of the most accurate comparison's, unlike someone who has owned neither. The ride between his current 41 and Primal Instinct (38 Cig) are different, but both ride side by side in anything. I have ridden both of his boats 1st hand and the "there is nothing that rides like an Apache" comment doesn't "exactly" apply. That Top Gun with huge power ride's right there with the Apache with huge power.

Don't believe me? Head out on Lake Michigan in that SNOT they call waves and you will find Primal 5 feet off your starboard side, the whole way.

The key is, they both need big power! Without it, the Apache and the old Gun's are a different animal. No other boat compares to either.

My neighbor owned one of THE most famous 41's, I loved that boat..........

thedonz 09-29-2004 11:05 AM

thedonz Jr..

my vote is for the cig with staggered big power and #5 drives :D :D :D

but, the Apache is nice too........

LEOPAJM 09-29-2004 12:14 PM

1 Attachment(s)

Originally Posted by thedonz
thedonz Jr..

my vote is for the cig with staggered big power and #5 drives :D :D :D

but, the Apache is nice too........