Like Tree0Likes

6.0 Powerstroke diesel programmers

Old 10-02-2004, 12:39 PM
AKA "BAZOOKA JOE"
Platinum Member

Default Re: 6.0 Powerstroke diesel programmers

dock im still waiting to go to court with a buy back under nj lemon law 03 6.0 typical issues
Old 10-02-2004, 01:23 PM
Registered

My Boats: Boating

I had the Banks stiner plus on mine, Great power but a tranny per year..so either bidget $3500 for a tranny per year or get a high performance torque converter installed and a big ass trans cooler!
Old 10-04-2004, 10:19 AM
Registered

"Dock", Depends who you talk to ......

Most Dealers (Ford Chevy and Dodge ) INSTALL CHIPS !

Last year I had a list of 163 Ford dealers that installed Western diesel chips ....

"Downs Ford " in NJ is the East coast DISTIBUTOR for superships ! And SUPERCHIPS are REAL BAD !

I asked the local Dogde dealer about it a few weeks ago . They said (with a smile) "as long as we install it , NO PROBLEM !"

And as far as the computer holding record of it ,,,,, That's not true on the 6 liters . The powerr box plugs in after the fact ....

Joe
Old 10-26-2004, 12:09 AM
Registered
Trade Score: (2)

My Boats: Excalibur 27 Flat Deck Restomod

For the most part, do you guys think that the tranny issues have been from abuse? If you leave it in a lesser setting and drive normal with a little more power are you going to have problems? My problem with thedieselstop.com is that it seems like all these guys are racing the trucks and not using them for normal use. I know that if trannys are $3500 i can put my heavy foot on a diet. I really want to do the Edge setup on my 6.0L but still a little weary. Dont want to spend $1000 and be affraid of the truck either.
Old 10-26-2004, 06:37 AM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

The duramax now has 120683. and the powerstroke has 89996. miles, both have Edge, they are used every day by construction crew for work, pulling and so forth. My guys know if a trany fails and I find out from racing, brake stops and letting her rip, super fast take offs, and any of the above, it comes out of that crews payroll check, everyone loses, so drive it if it was your own. So drive it normal, step on it every now and then to clean it out, life will be great. Jeff
Old 10-26-2004, 08:30 AM
Registered

Quote:
Originally Posted by ExcaliburHawk40
For the most part, do you guys think that the tranny issues have been from abuse? If you leave it in a lesser setting and drive normal with a little more power are you going to have problems? My problem with thedieselstop.com is that it seems like all these guys are racing the trucks and not using them for normal use. I know that if trannys are $3500 i can put my heavy foot on a diet. I really want to do the Edge setup on my 6.0L but still a little weary. Dont want to spend $1000 and be affraid of the truck either.

Exactly, as long as you drive your truck like you normally would you shouldn't have a problem, if you want to race it or pull it in truck pulls your going to break something. I've been running the edge with the attitude monitor for 4 or 5 months now (20k miles) with no issues, just leave it on 2 or 3 and drive it normally.
Old 10-26-2004, 11:45 AM
Registered

Be careful

Check this out:

http://forums.thedieselstop.com/ubbt...5&o=31&fpart=1
Old 10-26-2004, 12:20 PM
Registered

My Boats: 2001 Superboat Y2K

I have an 03 with a 115 hp BullyDog box. Great performance, no trans issues and EGT stay fairly low with gutted cat, no muffler and straight dual exhaust. Sounds like a big block!!! 30,000 miles and no problems. Don't drive it like a race car and you should be fine. There are a lot of people running the Edge box and are extremely happy
Old 10-26-2004, 12:54 PM
Charter Member#1545
Charter Member

My Boats: Boating,Motorcycling,Snowmobiling

Quote:
Originally Posted by boot
"Dock", Depends who you talk to ......

Most Dealers (Ford Chevy and Dodge ) INSTALL CHIPS !

Last year I had a list of 163 Ford dealers that installed Western diesel chips ....

"Downs Ford " in NJ is the East coast DISTIBUTOR for superships ! And SUPERCHIPS are REAL BAD !

I asked the local Dogde dealer about it a few weeks ago . They said (with a smile) "as long as we install it , NO PROBLEM !"

And as far as the computer holding record of it ,,,,, That's not true on the 6 liters . The powerr box plugs in after the fact ....

Joe
Joe, this is not a bash!!!!!
The installing dealers will warranty the trucks they enhance, sure, but if a customer is on the road and they have warranty issues, guess what??? The dealer they are at can decline warranty. Each dealership is it's own separate entity. The biggest problem the dealers face is being charged back, by FOMOCO, GM or MOPAR for repairs done at said dealership. The final decision is Corporate. Another problem is if you enhance your truck and a dealership "flags" your vehicle on Oasis. This means it is in the "network" and nothing can be done to remove it. Corporate knows about it so even your best friend that owns a dealership will not be able to get factory warranty done. Yes, the dealership can help you, but the dealership pays for it.

I am NOT saying you can not get warranty work done on enhanced vehicles, I just had 4 new injectors installed in my 03 Duramax. Yep, it's "bombed". The service manager whom I have know for many years just told me to remove all said enhancements and bring it in (it takes one of my techs about 10 minutes to do). He warrantied the injectors without any problem.

Like Joe said, many dealers enhance trucks. If you are going to enhance your truck, make sure you have a good working relation with the service manager or whomever takes care of your truck. Just be aware that another dealer, upon seeing an enhancement can void warranty. Funny tidbit, a friend was in Las Vegas for a Cart race and his 6.0 PSD "popped". He had it towed all the way back to Colorado, 550 miles. Truck was bombed and he knew the dealer there would void warranty. Dealer here was able to help him out.
There is a lot of grey area. It has gotten real interesting selling the enhancements. I tell my customers that the dealer can void warranty and explain how it works. Still many prefer the increase in power and like Jassman posted, if driven sensibly, will get many, many miles of great service.

Sam
Old 10-26-2004, 03:44 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

My Boats: SeaRay 240 Sundeck - 540cid

I've got a SC 1704 on my '04 Excursion and it's not bad espacially for the money. SC is the only one that programs the TCM (that I'm aware of. Diablo may to some degree) which makes the tranny thing a little better. One problem is that the ranny is not what the 4R100 is. It's electronics vs. fluid circuits and accumulators.

There are several trucks that have eaten trannys running the Edge, but I think education may be the primary reason. Quad I think does a good job of educatiing a buyer of HOW to better get the tranny "relearned" with a box. There are still risks. With he SC under heavy to WOT shifts are awesome. Even light throttle shifts I can easily bark 2nd gear nice a smooth. I can't imagine how bad it would spin OEM tires.

The SC is the mildest from what I've seen, with the exception of higher RPM's, which I believe is how they keep EGT's down. Mine pulls like a bad dog form 50-100 and will flat out scare oyu, yet up to about 2800-3000 RPM it's not much more, if any more than stock. I can however, boil the tires through 1st and 2nd gear if I want too. I'd like to see more 'usable" working power, meaning lower RPM power for doing what I have a diesel for, like towing. I'll have to say though, the truck is awesome even stock.

And although I don't "race", I have educated a Lincoln LS and a Mustang GT as to how fast they'll see the back end of a 8000+ lb Excursion.

If I were to try something new, I'd start with Quad and possibly TS boxes. For programmers I'd stick with SC.