Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   General Boating Discussion (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion-51/)
-   -   When to winterize question (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion/88082-when-winterize-question.html)

32 thunder 10-04-2004 02:01 PM

When to winterize question

It's going to get down to 24 tonight but above 32 the rest of the nights. Mid 60's threw the day. Do you guys think it's alright for tonight???

fund razor 10-04-2004 02:07 PM

Re: When to winterize question

24 is cold. If you are in the water, no biggie, but on land:

I would open my block drains and make sure that the passages aren't clogged with sand/mud/dirt. Other than that, I wouldn't think that you need to do the full winterization. If you have a power steering cooler loop I might unclamp on end and drain it out.

If you have fresh water, make sure that the lines are clear. Or, go ahead and add RTV if you use it.

32 thunder 10-04-2004 02:12 PM

What about the liquid filled mph gauge?? How about hanging a light in the engine compartment I've heard of people doing that!!!

batty 10-04-2004 02:12 PM

In or out of the water? 24 deg. i'd be kinda worried if its out if the waterI had my dads 34 sea ray out last year and the water lines in the cabin froze in one night( just the lines ) then it thawed the next day no leaks. I dont think I would chance it if its out of the water. if in the water you should be ok if its just one night.

mopower 10-04-2004 02:13 PM

If you're uncomfortable with the 24* tonight , throw a drop light with a 100 watt bulb in the engine compartment , unless the boat is left in the water. In that case the water temperature will keep the temp up inside as long as it's closed up and not extremely well ventilated :cool:

fund razor 10-04-2004 02:40 PM

As easy as it is, I would still drain the water from the block.

A friend got burned by some compacted sand in a drain plug. Only took one good freeze. Pop. Crack above the drain on one side.
Damn water is strong. Some serious hydraulic pressure there.

I pulled my boat yesterday, and draining the block was the first thing that I did. I haven't even gotten the batts out yet.

JUSTONCE 10-04-2004 02:51 PM

I've had my boat out reaaallllly late in the season (december in cleveland) and I just put 2x150watt trouble light bulbs in the bilge and stuff rags in all the vents and exhaust. never broke anything yet.

baronmarine 10-04-2004 03:38 PM

go with the ligth bulb, i'll be doing that tonight myself. i heard 29 tonite

tomtbone1993 10-04-2004 04:46 PM

I would just move South that is way to cold for October :D

Comanche3Six 10-04-2004 06:01 PM

I winterized yesterday. It's Harley riding time in NJ!
Don't wait too long.