Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   General Boating Discussion (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion-51/)
-   -   Earnhardt Jr Penalty 4 Cursing (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion/88162-earnhardt-jr-penalty-4-cursing.html)

CAP071 10-05-2004 05:22 PM

Earnhardt Jr Penalty 4 Cursing

Penalty for Cursing Drops Earnhardt From First
Team Plans to Appeal After NASCAR Star Penalized 25 Points

DAYTONA BEACH, Fla. (Oct. 5) -- Stock-car driver Dale Earnhardt Jr. was docked 25 points, fined $10,000 and knocked out of first place in NASCAR's premier Nextel Cup series on Tuesday for cursing during a TV interview after his weekend victory.

Asked by a television interviewer Sunday about the significance of his fifth victory in Talladega, Alabama, Earnhardt said, "It don't mean s--- right now. Daddy's won here 10 times."

Now, instead of leading Kurt Busch by 13 points in the Nextel Cup standings, Earnhardt, the son of the late seven-time series champion Dale Earnhardt, trails by 12 with seven races left in the season.

Richie Gilmore, director of competition for Dale Earnhardt Inc., said the team will appeal the decision by the National Association for Stock Car Auto Racing (NASCAR).

"This is a huge setback for the entire company," Gilmore said. "We're in a sport that focuses its primary attention on the final 10 races of the season and we're racing against formidable teams for a championship. We're facing a setback from a competition standpoint for something that should be considered a personal foul. We have no choice but to appeal the points portion of the penalty.

Chase Standings

Rank Driver
1 Kurt Busch
2 Dale Earnhardt Jr.
3 Jeff Gordon
4 Mark Martin
5 Matt Kenseth
6 Tony Stewart
7 Ryan Newman
8 Elliott Sadler
9 Jimmie Johnson
10 Jeremy Mayfield

"I think we're the only sport that takes points off of the board after they've been scored. The popularity of this sport is based on colorful personalities and the fact that everyone can relate to these drivers and their emotions. Now, it seems like that's a detriment."

Pointing out that Earnhardt's comments were not made in anger, Gilmore said the team has received hundred of supportive calls from fans.

"This whole incident is going to force everyone in the sport to rethink showing any excitement in what should be a jubilant moment," Gilmore added.

Appeals are heard by a three-person panel selected by NASCAR from the National Stock Car Racing Commission. No date has been set for the appeal.

Earnhardt will still be credited with the 14th victory of his career and fifth at Talladega but, with the points penalty, it's as if he finished fifth on Sunday. Still, he has plenty of time to make up the deficit on Busch, with up to 190 points available at each of the last seven events.

In February, NASCAR president Mike Helton told drivers to be careful with their language on radio and television. Less than a month later, Johnny Sauter was fined and lost 25 points for swearing during a radio interview following a second-tier Busch Series race in Las Vegas.

Ron Hornaday Jr. also was hit with a fine and the loss of 25 points after cursing during a live radio interview in June during a Busch race at Dover.

NASCAR spokesman Mike Zizzo said Earnhardt's penalty was consistent with those penalties.

"NASCAR President Mike Helton made it clear back in February at the drivers meeting at Rockingham that we, as a family sport, were taking this very seriously and adhering to FCC guidelines," Zizzo said referring to the federal government agency that oversees radio and television broadcasting. "The timing is unfortunate for Dale Jr., but NASCAR also made it clear to the competitors that we would police the last 10 races just like we did the first 26."

Earnhardt could immediately be reached for comment on the penalties.

10/05/04 10:10 EDT

Copyright 2004 The Associated Press

CAP071 10-05-2004 05:23 PM

Re: Earnhardt Jr Penalty 4 Cursing

Oh by the way all he said was Sh*t/ aka PooPie

cig1988 10-05-2004 05:29 PM

That's BS! Great race

57chevy 10-05-2004 05:38 PM

:mad:

BonnieOutlaw 10-05-2004 05:41 PM

You've got to be sh!tting me!

Bastages. :hothead:

mopower 10-05-2004 05:44 PM

WTF :hothead:

DON'T GET ME STARTED ON FOOTBALL , BASEBALL , AND BASKETBALL "pro affleats" :rolleyes: (if you get my drift) and what THEY get away with. :hothead: :hothead:

CAP071 10-05-2004 05:45 PM

THis is total BS. :mad: :hothead: :mad: :hothead:

cig1988 10-05-2004 05:49 PM

Maybe if he said the "F" word but ****?

SNGLSTACK 10-05-2004 06:15 PM

good thing offshore doesnt penalize for cursing :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

gmhdfan 10-05-2004 06:19 PM

Rules are rules!!! The only way out would have been to give back the points taken away from the other drivers. Or have a 7 second delay or something. I'm old school so NASCAR doesn't excite me like it use to. Look what happened to Jimmy Spencer when the punk Kurt Busch egged him on to hit him. I always thought Jimmy was the last of the non PC NASCAR drivers when being interviewed. It was a no win situation for NASCAR, so stick with the RULES and pay the price. Half the people would be pissed either way. It sure has come a long way from good ol boys running moonshine to the new and improved NASCAR. I only wished that my NEXTEL phones would work!!!! :rolleyes:

kitten 10-05-2004 06:30 PM

Originally Posted by SNGLSTACK
good thing offshore doesnt penalize for cursing

Just try it!! :eek:

CAP071 10-05-2004 06:36 PM

Good thing they don't have live microphones in every football players helmets :rolleyes: :D :eek:

eyezlee 10-05-2004 07:09 PM

what jr. said was in the "heat" of the moment. me, my wife and 12 yo daughter, all laughed out loud because we understood exactly what had just happened. the man drove his ass off for 3 hours and just won a very important race, he was excited...

now if that gets him a fine, then so be it. but nascar needs to have a more consistent set of rules when it comes to penalties, seems like they just make up fines as they go.

CAP071 10-05-2004 08:08 PM

This is just another example of today's (selective) censorship :rolleyes:

AIRTIME 10-05-2004 09:22 PM

:hothead: THAT S$CKS BIG TIME I WAS SO HAPPY FOR HIM WITH THE WIN

clearcut3 10-05-2004 09:33 PM

Originally Posted by eyezlee
what jr. said was in the "heat" of the moment. me, my wife and 12 yo daughter, all laughed out loud because we understood exactly what had just happened. the man drove his ass off for 3 hours and just won a very important race, he was excited...

I totally agree. If I were Jr. this is how I would handle the conversation with Mike Helton:

Mr. Helton I understand that NASCAR is trying to make a stance on certain things that we have little control of in the heat of the moment; therefore I have decided that I will no longer give ANY post race interviews until I have had a 24 hour "cooling off period". My team and I feel this is the only way we can be 100% sure that we do not hurt our efforts to win championships.

You let DEI give the above statement to NASCAR and watch the fine increase greatly and the points to go away. I don't have a problem with them fining him $ but to take points away, especially under the new bull**** system, is appalling.

Wellby 10-05-2004 10:57 PM

You know... the whole thing that started all this was Janet jackson's "BOOB"! :eek: NASCAR is a "family" sport... We don't want our kids to here the words "SH*T or HELL"...But, they can sure see "BUD" and "LITE" and "COORS" plastered all over and think that it is Ok to drink,but not Ok to cuss????!! just can't figure this society out???????

jtmiller02 10-06-2004 12:24 AM

People have to remember the FCC has a ban on cursing, this is not a cable show nor is it shown during late night hours. I'm not the best in the world at watching my comments, but sometimes you do it because you have to. In this case he clearly didn't. Second of all, if you make a rule you have to do 2 things, 1. enforce it, 2. be consistant, it sounds to me like this is what they are doing.

The FCC has taken a stand on ridiculous Sh*t being on TV during prime time broadcasts for little kids to see and professional sports should be taking a stand too.

Ask any coach who knows a thing about coaching and they will tell you what the problems are today with atheletes and the things they teach kids. They are selfish, act like fools, and none of them are team players. Dale Jr. shot his mouth off and he hurt his whole team, sure it was an honest mistake but honest mistakes have conscequences too.

Why did the US lose olympic basketball this year, because we took a bunch of hotshot players and forgot to show up with a team. Every jackass in professional and college sports is so worried about themself, about their image and $ that they screw themselves and their teams out of any respect and do an injustice to their own ability. These atheletes set an example that takes every child athelete in the world straight down the ****ter with them.

How often do you hear a player now talk about: hard work, discepline, teamwork, sacrafice, determination, desire? How often do great coaches, like Bobby Knight talk about these qualities? You don't learn to be a winner by being a hot-shot, and I think its about time every sport start cracking down on the stupid things their employees do.

I'd bet Dale Jr. won't shoot his mouth off next time in victory lane without thinking, and I'll bet too, as good as he is, there will be a next time.

Should he lose the championship over it? sure if it comes down to it. You win by the rules, you lose by the rules, and you'll damn sure learn from them.

Anarchy Powerboats 10-06-2004 02:46 AM

Originally Posted by Fever Mike
WOW, is Alweiss working for NASCAR!

Alweiss only works for Satan :D

tomtbone1993 10-06-2004 03:13 AM

JR will still when the championship. F@*k Nascar

dyno 10-06-2004 05:44 AM

Helton is an idiot!!!!what happened to the 2 second delay???beep Jr. and then fine him...good enough. Cost him the points race for the word sh!t what are you kidding me? Robby Gordan can wreck people and talk about it on the radio and get away with it......come on!!!! :mad: We watch the NHL guys try to beat eachother to death in prime time but Jr. cant say the word.....SH!T!!!!! :mad: I"ll bet that Helton gets a bunch of hate mail this week!!!

cig1988 10-06-2004 06:07 AM

It was an honest "heat of the moment" coment that he realized later on he should'nt of said that. Often we all slip out something we should'nt say. He's only human just like us all.

BonnieOutlaw 10-06-2004 06:14 AM

First of all, there's a huge difference between what JR did and the Kurt/Jimmy thing. Theirs ended up with physical contact. I'm sure the distinction can be made there.

They asked him about winning 5 times at Talledega and he said it didn't mean ****.

In context, that's not really shooting off your mouth - using an inappropriate adverb perhaps, but definately not shooting off your mouth.

I think we can all agree that using vulgar language while describing another car driver, in a heated moment is not the best way to present yourself. For instance...a driver should never say "That f'n Jimmy Spencer, I'll take Mongo and shove him up his a$$, bump me from behind and spin me out like that...I'll show him bumping!"

Yes, that would be bad.

My point is, it's different. Yes, I understand the FCC regulations and think it's a good thing, but this punishment could cost him a championship...and in that end, the punishment doesn't fit the crime.

We, as the viewers, as the team mates, and car owners, ask these men to drive around FULL of adrenaline so that they can get a good finish. Then we pull them out and ask that they turn the adrenaline off like a switch. It's not realistic. I'm often amazed at how the drivers talk after getting into an accident because of someone else. Mark Martin comes to mind. Many times they're cool, level headed...amazing. But, you better make sure the ambulance gets there quick or Mark will get mad. LOL

Not giving interviews after the race...I don't see that working. The sponsors will FLIP. Look at how they reacted to the guys throwing the stuff off the car so they could hop up there....or how they react if you try to wear your hat backwards.

I'm not saying I have any answers whatsoever. Actually, I'm quite biased on this one. No, he shouldn't have said it. Yes, I do think it's different. Yes, I understand why it happened. But this totally sucks.

R Addiction 10-06-2004 08:14 AM

I agree with you Bonnie. Little E was amped up from the win....fine OK, deduct points :mad:

By the way...bumpin' from behind, blowjobs while standing on your head........you're killing me!!! :D :D :D

Sean 10-06-2004 08:19 AM

I would agree with Bonnie that Jr. wasn't shooting his mouth off...he was just excited...that's all...but NASCAR drew a line in the sand and had to penalize him. It will just legitimize his championship...cause if they didnt fine him, everyone would be calling him NASCAR's golden boy...

Bottom line...He's not given enough credit for his driving...and finally Dale Jarrett spoke up...because even though he had fresher tires at the end, Jr. displayed some of the best driving NASCAR has ever seen...the best I have ever seena dn I've been a fan since the late 80's.

R Addiction 10-06-2004 08:23 AM

Originally Posted by Sean
bottom line...He's not given enough credit for his driving...and finally Dale Jarrett spoke up...because even though he had fresher tires at the end, Jr. displayed some of the best driving NASCAR has ever seen...the best I have ever seena dn I've been a fan since the late 80's.

Reminds you of his Dad doesn't it? :cool:

Tonto 10-06-2004 08:46 AM

Why don't they do it like the F1 guys do it, the only post race interview is when 1st, 2nd, and 3rd are ALL sitting at a table talking to the press, long after the "EXCITEMENT" of the race is worn off. My opinion, keep the mic out of there face when they get out of the car after they just won a race.
Robert

sean stinson 10-06-2004 08:59 AM

Well said Mr. Tanner

EvilTwin 10-06-2004 09:03 AM

Originally Posted by Tonto
Why don't they do it like the F1 guys do it, the only post race interview is when 1st, 2nd, and 3rd are ALL sitting at a table talking to the press, long after the "EXCITEMENT" of the race is worn off. My opinion, keep the mic out of there face when they get out of the car after they just won a race.
Robert

Tonto,

I like that idea. It could satisfy the sponsors and yet let the drives reflect on what they would like to say.

Joe Todesca 10-06-2004 10:41 AM

Originally Posted by SNGLSTACK
good thing offshore doesn't penalize for cursing :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

It's a good thing!! I have said thing's I don't think many 45 yr old's have ever heard when a motor is not starting prier to the parade lap. Jo P4-88

C_Spray 10-06-2004 10:47 AM

NASCAR is 100% correct and fully within their rights. They told the drivers what the rules are, and enforced them. Dale Jr got exactly the same penalty that others before him did - read the article. They did not "make it up as they go", nor are they being inconsistent. It's not BS at all. It's simply the rules, and in NASCAR (as in any truly professional organization) you agree to abide by the rules when you enter the race. It's just that simple.

bajabob38 10-06-2004 01:25 PM

Chuck is right, a rule is a rule and NASCAR sticks to there rules, Now Chuck what about those pit passes :drink:

pullmytrigger 10-06-2004 08:23 PM

[QUOTE=clearcut3]I totally agree. If I were Jr. this is how I would handle the conversation with Mike Helton:

Mr. Helton I understand that NASCAR is trying to make a stance on certain things that we have little control of in the heat of the moment; therefore I have decided that I will no longer give ANY post race interviews until I have had a 24 hour "cooling off period". My team and I feel this is the only way we can be 100% sure that we do not hurt our efforts to win championships.

Good Idea!!!!!.....Id love to see him do that!!!!!!

R Addiction 10-06-2004 09:28 PM

Hey Bob when are you going to clean your boat? :eek:

Shah Mat 10-07-2004 04:06 AM

This would not or should not change anything but......

I thought all live TV has some sort of delay so things can be beeped or censored. How do they prevent the naked streakers on baseball fields from showing up on your living room TV set? Why was Janet Jackson's boob not censored?

bajabob38 10-07-2004 06:44 AM

Originally Posted by R Addiction
Hey Bob when are you going to clean your boat? :eek:

I thought you were my boat cleaning ***** :drink:

45sonic 10-07-2004 07:08 AM

Fine the driver not the team. Penalize those for their actions but don't penalize a team effort. I've heard worse language on morning radio and even late night TV. The points race should not have been taken into consideration.

C_Spray 10-07-2004 08:30 AM

Any penalty that doesn't involve points is worthless. $10k is nothing to a team operating on a $25 million dollar budget. With a championship that's worth over a million dollars, points are the only thing that will get anyone's attention.

AGAIN: - The rules were announced when the season began. Just because it happens to be someone's favorite driver means <NOTHING>. Re-read the original article. This is not the first time this has happened, and the other guys got exactly the same penalty:

"In February, NASCAR president Mike Helton told drivers to be careful with their language on radio and television. Less than a month later, Johnny Sauter was fined and lost 25 points for swearing during a radio interview following a second-tier Busch Series race in Las Vegas. Ron Hornaday Jr. also was hit with a fine and the loss of 25 points after cursing during a live radio interview in June during a Busch race at Dover."

Those guys did it on radio after Busch races. Earnhart was FAR worse - he did it on television after a Nextel Cup race. His penalty should have been far higher. He and his team should stop crying and be grateful they got off light.

chriscraft240 10-07-2004 08:45 AM

If Jr wins the championship will his acceptance speech include some cuss words? It would be intersting.

C_Spray 10-07-2004 09:44 AM

Originally Posted by chriscraft240
If Jr wins the championship will his acceptance speech include some cuss words? It would be intersting.

LMAO - Good one!!! :D :drink: