Bayliner...Whats in a name? >

Bayliner...Whats in a name?

Notices

Bayliner...Whats in a name?

Old 10-19-2004, 08:17 AM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: Bayliner...Whats in a name?

My cousin bought a mid 70's 19 foot or so Bayliner with I think a 140 Volvo. It sunk in a lake, I don't think he ever did get it running again. It ended up undergoing sawz all surgery and in a dumpster.
Old 10-19-2004, 08:19 AM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Tank put it the best. Bayliner got a bad rap back in the 80's, but they seem to be straightened out. I climbed around on a few at a boat show last year. In all honesty, I don't think they are any worse than some other brands that cost significantly more.
And no, I've never actually owned one. Been on plenty, have had several friends who did own them. I have to say, the Crownline I just got rid of was probably built worse than any Bayliner out there.
Old 10-19-2004, 08:45 AM
chriscraft240

You get what you pay for?.. Is that the saying? My Chris Craft kindda looks like a bayliner but, she dont ride like one!

Old 10-20-2004, 06:44 AM
Registered

Things Bayliner owners are tough or learn to say

1) Any Bayliner older than mine may have been crap but they improved when I got mine.
2) Everything that isn’t a Bayliner is way over priced and hyped.
3) My Bayliner will keep a better percentage of its cost than your expensive boat.
4) Bayliner have the same engines as expensive boats like Searay’s so they are just as reliable
5) The same company makes that makes Bayliner makes SeaRay, Baja and even Hatteras Yachts they use most of the same people and materials for all their boats.

I have heard all these arguments and more. Truth is now Bayliner isn’t even that cheap at least their old boats that literally fell apart were priced low.
Old 10-28-2004, 11:42 PM
Registered

Bayliner's are cheap because they are 'Hecho in Mexico'!!

Everything is made in Mexico. The engine, the outdrive and the boat!

The 2003 that I bought for my wife and kids early this year was $8k, for an 18 foot open bow, with a 140 engine. Add a $2k custom wakeboard rack, and it was $10k for everything!!

Heck, I just spent over $10k repowering my little Donzi!!!!

That's how you build a cheap boat. Mexican labor is good, if given good management. I have some of my electronics designs built there.

We live in Texas, so shipping should have been cheap as well.

There is nothing wrong with our Bayliner after an entire summer, and I got to keep my Donzi!!
=======
My review of our Bayliner 18', so far:

The good:
The Bayliner has nice looking gauges, and they are about as accurate as the Gaffrig's in my Donzi. The wiring is very nicely done under the dash and in the engine compartment. The deck appears to be screwed to the hull by LOTS of stainless screws, (not riveted).

The engine compartment is clean, but tight. Two rubber links hold the engine lid on. That's Ok for this boat. Easy to remove.

The hull design is great! It lifts incredibly well, coming on plane at 1/3 throttle with almost no bow rise, planes at about 12mph with 3 people in the boat, and has a full speed of 45 on the speedo (43 gps).

The bad:
The carpet is glued down, making it difficult to clean it well. It does not have an automatic bilge pump.

The only problem I have had is the two drink holders mounted in the engine compartment lid blew out and are gone, from when I first found out how fast it would go...
========
Overall, I'm very impressed for what you get!
Kent
Old 10-29-2004, 04:35 AM
Registered

Now, before you all start admonishing me about "safety",
etc. I was 21 years old then.......I'd never even heard of
external steering.( originially posted by JT5OO)

well,a cold beer hold on and trim up,that little boat was a blast and good looking!

R Addictition Thats a good one the skeleton's are coming out and it's that time of the year.

CigDaze sure you love the boat it awesome,but are you just really use to CigDaze Yet?

Last edited by HOUSTONPROP; 10-29-2004 at 04:44 AM.
Old 10-29-2004, 08:08 AM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Not yet, Darren...it has to sink in for a while. It'll be better after this weekend.

I have to agree with you Mudball. After some thought, I say so what. They are what they are, and for the thousands of people who can make it out on the water and bring the family out for a day together and have fun, I say good for them.
Old 10-29-2004, 09:47 AM
AT Cult Member #3
VIP Member

Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts

Well said Nick. Had a blast in mine for 9 years!! Tubin', drinkin', skiing, drinkin', cruisin', drinkin', kickin' back, drinkin', and all the while I had more money in my pocket!!!