Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   General Boating Discussion (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion-51/)
-   -   Dually...Long or Short Bed (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion/88990-dually-long-short-bed.html)

excursion 10-19-2004 10:21 PM

Dually...Long or Short Bed

I am now looking for a Dually truck and have come across a F-350 Dually 4x4, Is it ok for towing or should I go with the long bed version? The short bed is easier to park and turn, but does the long bed work better?

chromecat 10-19-2004 10:27 PM

Re: Dually...Long or Short Bed

i like the long beds function better cuz they have almost 10 gallons more fuel capacity..... but the short bed looks nicer and is easier to get around in.....

Don

Pure Energy 10-19-2004 11:43 PM

I tow a 31 Sonic with my shortbed dually, no problem.

gmhdfan 10-20-2004 12:02 AM

You can always build a tank for inside the bed. Toolbox/fuel tank combo thing. But just remember the longer the wheelbase the better it is for towing. Until you have to back it in somewhere :rolleyes:

MarkSmith 10-20-2004 12:21 AM

If you drive fast on the highway, get a long bed. The longer the wheelbase, the straighter the driving. If you drive long distances, get the long bed. 99% of my driving time is forward towing. 1% of the time I am backing or launching the boat. I would never get a short bed. My .02

Audiofn 10-20-2004 12:29 AM

What are you towing? There is a definate difference btwn the long and short bed. HOWEVER the short bed will pull well also. Are we talking about a Crew Cab, extended cab or regular cab?

Jon

animalhouse 10-20-2004 12:37 AM

I towed a 42 OL to Sarasota w/ a short bed dually, and had a good ride, and maintained 75 mph comfortably. Plus it was great for launching and moving the boat around the Hyatt.

Sydwayz 10-20-2004 12:53 AM

James has a 37AT.

I would recommend the long-bed, although I like the looks of the shortbed better. I think the next person looking for your dually, being that they are looking for a dually, is going to want a long-bed more than a short-bed.

I think the towing capability difference would be minimal. Sent a PM to BeakBoater and/or DreamBoater here on OSO. They tow a 37 OL, and previously a 38 Fountain with a short-bed Ford dually; here in the VA/MD area where we do our trips.

James, is Reba going to be driving the truck at all?

Sydwayz 10-20-2004 12:54 AM

Also, 'Brad' here on OSO towed a 35 Playboy Cig with a SB dually for a long time.

thedonz 10-20-2004 01:43 AM

i think when it's a dully it really doesn't matter that much if it's long or short bed (of course 4 dr) cause the handling will be pretty much the same. the 4 dr short bed dully are pretty cool cause there unique. me personally would get it long bed

donz jr mike

Strip Poker 388 10-20-2004 02:26 AM

Originally Posted by thedonz
i think when it's a dully it really doesn't matter that much if it's long or short bed (of course 4 dr) cause the handling will be pretty much the same. the 4 dr short bed dully are pretty cool cause there unique. me personally would get it long bed

donz jr mike

long bed!! . the short beds look funny to me . I even wish mine was a 6 dr also :D

Dock Rat 10-20-2004 04:23 AM

I think resale will be better with a long bed. It's hard to tow a goosenneck or 5th wheel trailer with a short box because the front of the trailer can hit the back of the cab on tight turns. They do make special sliding hitches, but they are $$$. I don't think there would be a noticable difference towing a tag trailer though..

excursion 10-20-2004 06:43 AM

Thanks for the replys, I do have a 37 AT right now and for 1 or 2 more years, and I tow it with the Excursion, and have no problem, gone to Florida twice with it, but I plan on going to a 43 Black Thunder. So this will be what the Dually is for.

gmhdfan 10-20-2004 07:03 AM

Originally Posted by Strip Poker 388
long bed!! . the short beds look funny to me . I even wish mine was a 6 dr also :D

The Lucas Oil team has a 6 door . Pretty cool.

MarkSmith 10-20-2004 07:22 AM

Originally Posted by Audiofn
What are you towing? There is a definate difference btwn the long and short bed. HOWEVER the short bed will pull well also. Are we talking about a Crew Cab, extended cab or regular cab?

Jon

Crew cab. I tow 5th wheel, gooseneck, and tag.
I need the space for my wifes suitcases on our 2 day trips.
Mark

AugiePensa 10-20-2004 07:48 AM

Long Bed, better on the road!

Madcow 10-20-2004 08:19 AM

1 Attachment(s)
I just bought my second 4 door short bed. They drive so much better around town, and I don't think pulling is an issue. I've pulled my 42 Sonic to Florida with it with NO problems. As to resale there aren't many of them out there and the guy's who want them snap them up quick.

R Addiction 10-20-2004 10:47 AM

Originally Posted by Strip Poker 388

Strip....like this?

jordy 10-20-2004 11:18 AM

I have a long bed crew cab duramax and a extended cab short bed duramax (work truck) Chevy (not dually, but the same bed), and my suggestion is based upon how much cargo you plan on carrying in the bed. I have an 80 gallon red fuel tank with a transfer pump and tool box in the short bed, and by the time it's all said and done, I've probably got around 3' of bed space left. Not to mention the tank is 10 gallons smaller or there abouts, 24 or 25 on the short bed and I can sqeeze 35 in the long bed. That extra 10 gallons equates to an extra 150 miles or so before stopping for fuel.

My crew cab long bed has a tool box in it but no extra fuel tank (it's my play truck) and I can use all 8' of the bed. I've had 3 crew cabs now, all long bed, one of them was a dually. As far as being easier to drive long bed versus short bed, the biggest difference is the couple feet of hips hanging off the side.

Just my $.02 for what it's worth.

Brad 10-20-2004 11:51 AM

Originally Posted by Sydwayz
Also, 'Brad' here on OSO towed a 35 Playboy Cig with a SB dually for a long time.

My dually towed fine and was easy around town, only downside I saw was the smaller fuel tank.

JC 10-20-2004 12:30 PM

I am pulling a 42 Cig. with a 05 short box crew ford. I had a V-10 and just went to the powerstroke with a edge chip ( love the truck ) . I did install a 48 gal. tank from transfer flow in both trucks. It is a direct replacement for the stock tank.

FunHome 10-20-2004 12:31 PM

At times I have wished that my Crew Cab Dually was a Short Bed and not a Long Bed, because I use it as a daily driver and it get's tight in some places!!

Never really had a problem with space in the bed because my trailer is a bumper pull not a gooseneck.

Chevy made a Shortbed dually for about two years, just before they changed the body style to the one they have now. But, good luck finding one!!! :rolleyes:

JUSTONCE 10-20-2004 12:39 PM

If you are towing with a 5th wheel you'll want to consider, a sliding wheel, cause without it the axle/hitch placement is too far forward, when backing up and if turning sharp you can smash your cab corners with the trailer.

DiamondPerformance 10-20-2004 06:55 PM

Chevy does"nt offer a shortbed dually, right?

addiction 10-20-2004 07:31 PM

Just bought an 05 GMC 3500 Dually crew cab long bed. Love it! Duramax and Allison trans. long bed is more versatile than short. Had the short and wished for the long. Good Luck!

Reed Jensen 10-20-2004 07:47 PM

I've had a short bed... and they are next to worthless for hauling anything... I've driven crew cab duallies with a full bed... the only problem you will find is parking the thing... They are so long... you have a hard time in parking garages. Other than that... I'm looking at a 4 door Dodge dually with a full size bed... they are a little shorter than Chevs or Fords. The back seat folds down to create a cargo area... but the leg room is a lot less than in the others.

RYNO 10-20-2004 07:50 PM

Short Bed Duallys Are F' N Gay L B's Fo Life

BEAST1 10-20-2004 10:14 PM

LOng bed is the way to go. You have to park at the end of the lot buteveryone can use the walk

Madcow 10-21-2004 07:28 AM

Originally Posted by RYNO
Short Bed Duallys Are F' N Gay L B's Fo Life

I noticed there are almost as many people here who like shorts as there ar longs. You better have more than 4 posts to start calling us gay. :rolleyes:

Tim G. 10-21-2004 08:08 AM

I just switched from a crew dually longbed to a 2500 ext cab long bed..
Next to no difference.... :rolleyes: I'm kicking myself for not getting another crew dualy LONGBOX. The shorty crews are incredibly goofy looking. They remind me of that Ford Explorer with the little box on it... Worthless...
Those of you that think a short crew is that much easier to aprk than a longbed should drive both... There's no real difference.
Having a hard time parking???? I think Ford makes a "Focus" that should work a bit better for 'ya. Yes, reduced towing capacity..but you shouldn't be towing much if you can't handle a crew longbox on it's own.... :eek:

jordy 10-21-2004 10:05 AM

Like I said in my first post, it's not the extra 2' of bed that make the difference, it's the extra 2' of wheels and fenders (hips) sticking out that make it interesting. Have to work a little harder for that rockstar parking. :D

LEOPAJM 10-21-2004 10:27 AM

I like everything short except trucks and boats !!! :D

Whats up SS ???

Quiet Storm 10-21-2004 12:32 PM

I like the looks of the long bed better but the short bed will fit in my garage.

RYNO 10-26-2004 12:10 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Hey ***cow, I bet mine is bigger then yours.

dhlaw 10-26-2004 06:27 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Dodge is the way to go!

Madcow 10-26-2004 06:48 AM

Originally Posted by RYNO
Hey ***cow, I bet mine is bigger then yours.

That would be great if that sort of thing impressed me. :rolleyes: Save it for your turd burguling buddy's down at the Blue Oyster. BTW I'll bet those tall tires really help with towing stability. But since your probably just towing a bayliner it really doesn't matter that much.

RYNO 10-26-2004 04:22 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Here is my bayliner, now I need a corn dog to go from Sonic.

Madcow 10-26-2004 07:56 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Thats a nice little boat you have there. Be sure and let us know when you get a big one. BTW where you planing on putting that corn dog?

glassdave 10-26-2004 08:59 PM

oh this ought to be good :D :D :D two guys with big lime green an purple boats arguing about whos is cooler :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :p :p

Madcow 10-26-2004 09:33 PM

Oh, it's obvious he's cooler. I noticed he has at least two Cigarette stickers on his truck to make sure EVERYONE knows how cool he is. :rolleyes: