Notices

Sales Tax question

Old 10-20-2004, 07:30 PM
VIP Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Sales Tax question

I live in Illinois and I am considering looking at a boat in Missouri. It is being sold by a business that lists themselves as Marine brokerage and consignments. Would I have to pay a sales tax if I buy a boat there??? I am hoping the answer is no. It would add alot to the bottom line and possibly kill the deal. Any guesses anybody ??

I forgot to add that this is a used boat. And it is documented.

Last edited by Bigwavz; 10-21-2004 at 09:45 PM.
Old 10-20-2004, 07:41 PM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: Sales Tax question

Sales tax laws vary from state to state... California used to have a 90 day period... If you didn't bring the item you purchased into the state for 90 days... you didn't have to pay sales tax... That loophole was just closed... now... it's one year... There used to be a harbor in Mexico that was called 90 day harbor... because new boats destined for California were delivered there... they stayed for 90 days.. then brought into the country without having to pay the sales tax.. It is now one year. Plus... if you register a boat trailer in California... they then want to know the value of the boat that sits on it... so they get you one way or another......
Old 10-20-2004, 07:50 PM
Registered

Big,

You will have to pay sales tax in Illinois on the purchase price of the boat. It's been a while since in IL but in WI, when purchasing a used boat from a private sale, you fill out the forms. Read between the lines I guess...not that I've done it...but plenty of friends have.
Old 10-20-2004, 08:11 PM
Registered

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

here in Jersey if you live out of state and purchase here in Jersey then you pay sales tax in your state when you register, same goes if i purchase out of state, i have to pay Jersey sales tax when i register
Old 10-20-2004, 09:37 PM
Registered

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts

Here in the land of southern engineering it's a little different.

ANY used boat, or a boat the has been tagged, has no sales tax on it at all. Regardless if it was purchased in or out of state.

All new boats have sales tax on them. This is paid at the revenue office when tagging the boat.

Buck
Old 10-20-2004, 09:44 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

dude, its simple just get the owner of the boat to give a second reciept for like 8 g's and have it say no motors and haul damage, the people at motor vehicle have no idea what these things cost and will never check.
Old 10-20-2004, 10:01 PM
Registered
Platinum Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Your going to pay when you register the boat..you will be paying,in jersey they go by some bs book,if they think you did not pay enough they will give you a demand notice then you have to produce a reciept to match what ever you wrote down at motor vehicle ....they do check here though .
Old 10-20-2004, 10:07 PM
Registered

Since you are in Illinois they will Tax you when you register 6.25%. Here is another kicker. Before September 1st of this year if you bought a used or brokered boat you did not pay sales tax. After September 1st you pay sales tax on the boat only. You can hide some cost in the trailer. No matter what you will now have to pay Sales Tax. Thanks Illinois.
Old 10-20-2004, 10:28 PM
Registered

If you buy from a private party in Illinois you pay no sales tax.
Old 10-21-2004, 04:03 PM
VIP Member

Well I called the broker and he stated no sales tax. UH OH Now I guess I have to call the bank and get a loan going.

Anybody lookin for a fast, clean 24 Outlaw ???

Send them my way !!!

Quick Reply: Sales Tax question

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.