Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   General Boating Discussion (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion-51/)
-   -   Tired of trying to sell the boat. (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion/89131-tired-trying-sell-boat.html)

ActiveThunderTodd 10-21-2004 11:27 PM

Tired of trying to sell the boat.

I can't believe no one wants this boat at the price I had been advertising. Talked with my mechanic and Pat and decided to take the boat off the market. I was told by the last person interested that he was afraid of the motors. They just had a COMPLETE top end job done. My mechanic and others I've spoke with says that the rotating assembly of the motors are almost never responsible for why they break. I spoke with a local parks service and they have over 2000 hours on a big block. They have done several valve jobs along the way but haven't touched the bottom ends. Said they were planning on a total tear down next year.

I'm not a mechanic so I guess I'm just gonna have to trust mine. Like he said its his reputaion on the line for his opinions and experience (over 23 years) and he wouldn't send me out on the water knowing that they could hand grenade at any moment. Hell, she's running better now then when it was new so why not just keep her. It's an outstanding looking, handling and well built boat.

So I'm staying in the Offshore game..:D
Guess you all aren't getting rid of me yet...lol

29scarab 10-21-2004 11:55 PM

Re: Tired of trying to sell the boat.

DOn't get dsicouraged.
Fever Mike is right. the market is just extremely slow right now. Hang in their. It picks up and you will sell it.

I'm waiting to seel mine when I see the market pick up.

Shawn

ActiveThunderTodd 10-22-2004 12:31 AM

Aaaa....I'll just keep it. I really like my boat anyways...:D

wwwTOPDJcom 10-22-2004 12:34 AM

its a nice boat, I would buy it in a heart beat if I didnt have so many remodeling projects to do. :rolleyes:

thedonz 10-22-2004 12:48 AM

dude if i had the money i would also but it and i'm not saying this to make ya feel good. even though active thunders are not in my top 4 list but i still love those classic lines. but hey what the heck i'm only 22 :cool:

donz jr mike

Griff 10-22-2004 03:38 AM

I really wish you would sell Best Revenge. That way I would stop thinking about taking a serious looking at it!!!! I have talked to a few other people who would also love to have your boat. It just seems to be bad timing for me and all those I have talked to. The engines/hours don't scare me away at all. The price is great and the boat is a steal at that price. Its just not the right time for me to seriously look at it.

Look at it this way. You've got a great boat to be stuck with :D

cig1988 10-22-2004 04:16 AM

In the "same boat" here. Time to winterize and back on the market in April. I thought a $50k boat would sell rather quickly but seems like the high end boats with a price tag of a house are going like hot cakes.

East Coast B 10-22-2004 05:48 AM

Two thoughts... The economy is killing the middle class which is the sector that would normally be looking at that 32 Thunder at that price. I'm in that class and recently sold my 26 to upgrade to a 31-32 in this price range. However, my company as like many others, we're in the fortune 100 list, are going through layoff after layoff and outsourcing on top of it. I don't know from week to week if I'll have a job, talk about sleepless nights! Since we sold the 26, we can't think about getting into a big purchase like this with so much uncertainty. We keep waiting things out, really sucks!

Secondly, persons in the high ranks of the company that aren't affected by layoffs and outsourcing and persons that have invested in the ground of their own businesses and persons owning income property have seen their investments flurish and increase in value. Therefore, they are in better position and as was mentioned are keeping the bigger ticket items market flowing. Thanks Mr. Bush!

Oh,and I don't even need to start on fuel costs.

Just my own .o2 cents as to the reality of the middle class worker.

To comment on your boat, I love the package. Great looking bright graphics, quality trailer and engine setup. The one item that is distinctively different is the seating arrangement from the traditional styling of boats of this size. The double seat is something familiar in the larger boats. Is that having anything to do with keeping people away? Sonic 31's which is very much like yours seem to move quickly and the only major difference I see is in the seating arrangement.

What are peoples general thoughts about the double seat? I imagine this would add room to the head area which some people would find a benefit. Then, is there any issues with moving around the cockpit with ease having the double seat. Not sure if these are concerns, if they are and you find people wondering this, maybe update your advertisement to address the positive of having this setup. Rather than a viewer of your ad making their own impression of the setup, put it in text why the double seat is better than singles and what they are gaining both in the cockpit and in the cabin. If it has a large oversized head, get the pics of it out there so the wife gets a visual, might wind up being a selling point to them. I'm not familiar with your cabin, so I'm just guessing.

Good luck and hopefully persons like myself can get back in this market soon. If not, wave to me as you go by, I'll be the guy in an innertube with a sail. That's if I can afford a sail!!! Again, Good Luck!

MnFastBoat 10-22-2004 07:45 AM

Originally Posted by ActiveThunderTodd
Aaaa....I'll just keep it. I really like my boat anyways...:D

Glad to hear it!

However, if you plan on ever getting rid of Tracy, PLEASE PLEASE let me know :)
Because I would slap the crap out of you and wake you up! :)

The boat is great to keep, otherwise I would love to own it. But I have the same problem on selling my boat :(

MnFastBoat 10-22-2004 07:45 AM

Originally Posted by Griff
I really wish you would sell Best Revenge. That way I would stop thinking about taking a serious looking at it!!!! I have talked to a few other people who would also love to have your boat. It just seems to be bad timing for me and all those I have talked to. The engines/hours don't scare me away at all. The price is great and the boat is a steal at that price. Its just not the right time for me to seriously look at it.

MY thoughts exactly! :drink:

hugetime1 10-22-2004 08:22 AM

todd i am in the same boat

CigDaze 10-22-2004 08:43 AM

Todd, I've said it time and time again, you're boat is incredible. It looks sharp, rides great, has a nice trailer, overall really tough to beat for the price you're asking.

Personally, to answer East Coast B's question, I'm not fond of the twin, "loveseat" configuration. That was the one and only thing keeping me from considering your 32.

The Wizard 10-22-2004 08:54 AM

Hello Todd,

Glad to see your keeping the boat....,it's a nice piece:drink:

Roger 1 10-22-2004 08:54 AM

Todd;
I have`nt had any luck selling the Checkmate either. I beleive it is for the very reasons that East Coast B has stated in his post. I remember running back to Chicago from Michigan City last september next to you guys. Your boat sure seemed to run well then. Keep it and enjoy it for another season. Maybe the market will improve next year.

ActiveThunderTodd 10-22-2004 08:56 AM

Thanks for everyones input. The bolster seats hasn't seemed to be an issue. In fact after going for a ride in my boat most all people have said how much they enjoyed having the side-by-side. Much easier to carry on a conversation, seems like more room in the cockpit, eaiser access to the cabin and having more dash area allowes for better arrangement and more gauges if you'd like. If I were to build another boat I'm sure I'd go with the side-by-side arrangement again.

aero-offshore 10-22-2004 09:23 AM

Not to change the subject but I was thinking of buying a Motor home for hunting, Wow have you seen the price drop of these. Last time I looked at an old 90's pusher they were in the 100 k range now there in the 20k. The new ones are around 70k, man I'm glad I did'nt take that hit.

CigDaze 10-22-2004 09:26 AM

Hey Todd, it definately has its merits, I actually like what it does to the cabin arrangement. Just a personal thing, I just like the center walkway and having plenty of room while driving, it's what I've become used to.

Sydwayz 10-22-2004 09:45 AM

I'll second ATT on the side-by-side. Its my choice from here on out. I really like the way they cockpit config with them, as well as the cabin, and huge head.

whipped565 10-22-2004 12:15 PM

It took me 9 months to sell my old boat!! It was the motor that was stopping the sale each time (whippled 454ci 700hp) I was just about to pull it and put a stock unit in, but some speed guy wanted it. Plus the boat was 23' that ran 95 mph.

Soft market, it takes time. :(

32 thunder 10-22-2004 12:35 PM

Todd, Now that you are going to keep the boat are you and Tracy willing to go to Florida??? I have off weeks of March 21 March 28 April 4 from work with more weeks off to follow I'm told. God I love being late off from work and getting paid for it!!! During those weeks I have to spend a couple of weekdays with my son were taking him to Disneyworld and Grandpa is driving them home. I wanted to run down to the Keys. Insted of writing a book here give me a call when you get a chance.
Jason

Indy 10-22-2004 01:14 PM

Just some thoughts for what they're worth...
I prefer the traditional seating over the side by side, unless it has the capability that one can drive and the other can throttle, or the driver can do both. I'm not sure how yours is set up. If it doesn't have the option to go both ways, I'll not consider the side by side.

The other factor is the graphics. Although yours is done well, the name "best revenge" wouldn't fit into my boating wishes and I'd have to shell out some $$ to re-do that area.

Unstable economy is the other thing.

You have a great boat though, nicer than anything I've owned for sure :D
Hang in there next time you put it back on the market, you'll find someone.

cuda 10-22-2004 01:46 PM

Todd, it's a conspiracy to keep you in the game! :drink:

ActiveThunderTodd 10-22-2004 05:10 PM

Originally Posted by 32 thunder
Todd, Now that you are going to keep the boat are you and Tracy willing to go to Florida??? I have off weeks of March 21 March 28 April 4 from work with more weeks off to follow I'm told. God I love being late off from work and getting paid for it!!! During those weeks I have to spend a couple of weekdays with my son were taking him to Disneyworld and Grandpa is driving them home. I wanted to run down to the Keys. Insted of writing a book here give me a call when you get a chance.
Jason

Jason we may have to look into doing something like that. it's too bad my mom still doesnt have her condo in Cape Coral. Great boating area.

ActiveThunderTodd 10-22-2004 05:13 PM

Originally Posted by cuda
Todd, it's a conspiracy to keep you in the game! :drink:

Well I guess its worked, unless someone shows up with a boat load (no pun intended) of money. Hell it is an awesome boat.

What was I thinking anyways...lol :D

cuda 10-22-2004 05:18 PM

1 Attachment(s)
If you get down to Florida with it again, were over on the east coast now near Daytona.

cuda 10-22-2004 05:22 PM

3 Attachment(s)
Here's a couple more shots to pull you through those frigid Wisconsin winters. Remember, this was in May. This will help you remember why you bought the boat in the first place. :drink:

ActiveThunderTodd 10-22-2004 05:23 PM

Man who is that fat ass sitting on that great looking boat...:D

Now the blonde in th baseball cap is sure hot..;) :p

I'm thinking I'm really glad no body wants to buy it.

MitchStellin 10-22-2004 05:33 PM

I feel the same way, I was just fishing, I had some bites, but now that I have been without it for 3 weeks I am ready to pull it out of storage and head to FL :D The seasons always bring you around. Now bikes, snomobiles then back to boats. It is all good. :cool: It will sell, it just takes time and the weather is way off now.

h2owarrior 10-22-2004 08:05 PM

Todd, Man, you have got an excellent boat. Keep it and enjoy it. We sold T&E last year and have been without a boat since...........I really mis boating :(

R Addiction 10-22-2004 08:10 PM

Todd, It's a beautiful boat for sure!!! If I had the finances you wouldn't be posting this thread!! Keep it and enjoy....just keep the 4-sale sign behind the seat!! :D

Indy 10-22-2004 08:51 PM

Todd...I'm just curious (I hope to be in the market next year :rolleyes: ), could someone move the throttles to the passenger side so they could be used by either the driver or the passenger?

ActiveThunderTodd 10-22-2004 11:14 PM

Originally Posted by Indy
Todd...I'm just curious (I hope to be in the market next year :rolleyes: ), could someone move the throttles to the passenger side so they could be used by either the driver or the passenger?

I dont know, but I dont see why not if thats what you would like to do.

buck183 10-22-2004 11:24 PM

Originally Posted by Griff

Ditto.

I'm one of those people.

If this was 5-6 months in the future your boat would be sitting in Arkansas.

Buck

CROWN MAN 10-23-2004 08:50 AM

Can some one help.
Whats better a 25 out law w 496, or 502 & does baja have allot of electrical problems?

East Coast B 10-23-2004 11:39 AM

502's are cheaper to replace, 1/2 the price. 496's are nice due to being distributorless, closed cooling, etc. 496 has two versions 375hp and 425hp. As for electical problems with Baja, no experience with them.

MitchStellin 10-23-2004 12:34 PM

I'll buy the swim platform :D Thats all I need and she is done.

Semper Fi 10-23-2004 12:34 PM

Originally Posted by ActiveThunderTodd
I can't believe no one wants this boat at the price I had been advertising. Talked with my mechanic and Pat and decided to take the boat off the market. I was told by the last person interested that he was afraid of the motors. They just had a COMPLETE top end job done. My mechanic and others I've spoke with says that the rotating assembly of the motors are almost never responsible for why they break. I spoke with a local parks service and they have over 2000 hours on a big block. They have done several valve jobs along the way but haven't touched the bottom ends. Said they were planning on a total tear down next year.

I'm not a mechanic so I guess I'm just gonna have to trust mine. Like he said its his reputaion on the line for his opinions and experience (over 23 years) and he wouldn't send me out on the water knowing that they could hand grenade at any moment. Hell, she's running better now then when it was new so why not just keep her. It's an outstanding looking, handling and well built boat.

So I'm staying in the Offshore game..:D
Guess you all aren't getting rid of me yet...lol

Todd,
I seriously don't know why your boat hasn't sold either. it is a sweet boat, especially for the money. I thought of selling the Powerplay because we want a Gladiator, but the market sucks right now. We are dropping in some used (low hours) 500EFI's and will have a turn-key boat to use for a while.
We are going to make the best of it and enjoy the boat. I hope you do the same and enjoy yours.
Gerard

R Addiction 10-23-2004 03:25 PM

Originally Posted by CROWN MAN
Can some one help.
Whats better a 25 out law w 496, or 502 & does baja have allot of electrical problems?

I personally like the 502, but the 496 is coming around :D Electrical problems with what...cabin, cockpit or engine electrical? My brother in law had a 25 Outlaw and never had any trouble with it. All in All a good boat!! :D

bouyhunter 10-24-2004 05:18 AM

I'm sure you're tired of hearing this by now, but if I had the "scratch" I'd be all over that boat.
I don't see why anyone complains about the twin bolster. I would actually search for a boat with that.
If I'm boating, my wife will be with me - and I got this funny thing - I kinda like her - and I like having her next to me. My buddies can hold on in the back seat.
She loves crushing waves as much as I do.

berns29scarab 10-24-2004 08:35 AM

I missed the advertisement...gimme some pics a solid description and the bottom line...that is of course if your still thinkin about selling...good looking boat by the way