Like Tree0Likes

Coast Guard documentation

Old 11-01-2004, 09:16 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member
Swede's Avatar
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: Lake Norman, NC
My Boats: 1999 Spectre 30-sold
Posts: 415
Default Re: Coast Guard documentation

I bought my boat from someone that had never documented in his name but it was still current in the previous Owners name with the coast gaurd. I did the search above and had what I though were proper bill of sales. I sent my documentation in and it came back rejected 3 months later. The 2nd Owner before me had his wife on the documentation which was not on my bill of sale(This did not show up on the coast guard website either). Luckily I kinda of new the 2nd owner and he and his wife were still together but. It could have been a bad situation. Do the title search.
Swede is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2004, 06:47 AM
Join Date: Jan 2002
Location: OAKVILLE, Ontario
Posts: 1,402
Default Re: this may be boring but

IV) Vessel Registration and Documentation

Fewer than one percent of vessels in the U.S. are documented with the Coast Guard with most pleasure boats opting for state registration. Among the statutes dealing with registration are the Federal Motorboat Act of 1910 which placed on the federal government the responsibility to regulate recreational boating in the U.S.; the Federal Numbering Act of 1918 which instituted a numbering system for all undocumented vessels; the Federal Boating Act of 1958 which shifted the responsibility of numbering undocumented vessels from the federal government to the states; and the Federal Boating Safety Act of 1971, mostly dealing with recreational boating, which entrusted states and territories with insuring minimum registration requirements set by the federal government. Among those requirements are navigation rules, vessel numbering, safety equipment, lights and day shapes, pollution rules and distress assistance.

Pursuant to the legislation cited above, states are required to assign numbers to all vessels with propulsion machinery that are used in waters under federal jurisdiction. Exceptions to that requirement are documented vessels (not in every case) and foreign vessels temporarily in the U.S. The way numbers are assigned to vessels by states is either through a title or registration system. A registration system basically requires the payment of an annual fee in order to get a number and sticker. This type of registration system does not protect good faith purchasers from the acquisition of stolen or lien burdened vessels because no chain of title is provided. The only purpose of the registration is to establish who holds the current registration of the vessel. The titling of a boat follows the same principles as the titling of an automobile with the title showing seller and purchaser as well as mortgagees and other lenders who are still owed money. When the boat is resold, the title is signed over to a the new owner who gets his own title upon registration. The chain of title is thus established.

Documentation of vessels is the responsibility of the Coast Guard. Documentation was originally required only for large commercial vessels but is gradually being used for smaller and pleasure boats for the added security it affords lenders. The National Vessel Documentation center is located in Falling Waters, West Virginia. Unlike simple registration or titling by states, the documentation procedure requires numerous forms and documents. They include the application for initial issue of certificate of documentation; the builder certificate and first transfer of title; a bill of sale on appropriate federal form; and declaration of citizenship.

When the owner of a vessel is an individual all he needs to show as proof of citizenship is his passport or naturalization certificate. A corporation, however, may present more complex issues. A corporation is deemed a citizen if (a) it is incorporated under the laws of the United States or of a state, territory, district or possession; (b) its president, or other chief executive officer and its chairman of the board are United States citizens; (c)no more of its directors than a minority of the number necessary to constitute a quorum are non-citizens; and (d) the controlling interest in the corporation is owned by United States citizens or, if the vessel is documented for coastwise trade, at least 75 percent of the interest in the corporation is owned by United States citizens.

It should be noted that the regulations only find control and ownership in a corporation if (I) title to at least a majority of the stock is vested in United States citizens free of any trust or fiduciary obligation in favor of any person who is not a United States citizen; (ii) at least the majority of the voting power is vested in U.S. citizens; (iii) there is no contract or understanding through which it is arranged that the majority of the voting power may be exercised directly or indirectly on behalf of any person who is not a U.S. citizen; and (iv) there are no other means whatsoever by which control of the corporation is conferred upon or permitted to be exercised by any person who is not a U.S. citizen.

One of the most cumbersome requirements of the documentation procedure is the builder's certification and first transfer of title or the establishment of a chain of title, on federal bills of sale forms, to be signed by each and every successive owner. That requirement applies to initial documentation only, whether or not there has been a state chain of title. While this requirement does not present a problem for new vessels, it can be a major challenge for old ships whose builder is no longer in business and which have had many owners. In some cases a waiver may be available but, most of the time it is necessary to rely on the services of documentation companies who track down all the successive owners.
buckknekkid is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2004, 08:15 AM
VIP Member
Thread Starter
Trade Score: (1)
Smitty's Avatar
Join Date: Apr 2001
Location: Hawthorn Woods IL
My Boats: 2000 Baja 36 Outlaw
Posts: 4,186
Default Re: Coast Guard documentation

WOW !! Some great info here!!!! Thanks to all !!! I am getting the name and numbers from the seller today and we'll see what turns up.

Thanks again
Want your ECU tuned right?? Call Mark at Precision
Smitty is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2004, 09:20 AM
Diamond Member #001
Charter Member
Trade Score: (2)
C_Spray's Avatar
Join Date: Oct 2000
Location: Coastal North Carolina
My Boats: 2000 Formula 382 with Innovation 600's
Posts: 4,789
Default Re: Coast Guard documentation

Originally Posted by MitchStellin
...Name has to be 6" tall, port 3" ...
I thought that it was 8" for the name and 4" for the hailing port...
Retired! Boating full-time now.
C_Spray is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2004, 09:35 AM
Gold Member
DollaBill's Avatar
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Blue Martini Hall of Fame
My Boats: Making hot chicks hotter since 2010
Posts: 7,031
Default Re: Coast Guard documentation

Call Sara @ Gloria Rector Documentation. I Have Used Her Since 1998 And She Is Awesome. It Is Worth The 400 Or 500 She Charges. Her Number Is 321-409-5387.

What Are You Going To Spend Thousands Of Dollars On A Boat And Then Have It Taken Away Becuase Of 400 Bucks You Did Not Spend? Or Pay Some Atty 2000 To Clear It Up?

I Have Been Down That Road And It Is Not Fun.

My .02 (that's Over 1000 Deals Experience)
DollaBill is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2004, 10:53 AM
Semper Fi's Avatar
Join Date: Oct 2000
Location: SoCal
Posts: 4,234
Default Re: Coast Guard documentation

I just recieved the Documentation for our Powerplay. It says (I quote)....

For all vessels, the official number shown on the COD (certificate of documentation) preceded by the abbreviation "NO" must be marked in block-type Arabic numerals at least 3" high on some highly clearly visable interior structural part of the hull. the number must be permanantly affixed so that alteration, removal, or replacement would be obvious and cause some scaring or damage to the surrounding hull.

For RECREATION vessels, the name and hailing port both must be marked together on some clearly visable exterior part of the hull. The markings may be made by the use of any means and materials that result in durable markings. All must be at least 4" in height, made in clearly legible letters of the Latin alphabet or Arabic or Roman numerals. NOTE: Hailing port marking must include BOTH a place (city) AND the state.

It goes on to say that the penaly for operation of a vessel with an invalid document is $10,000 PER violation.

Info for Coast Guard documentation....

Hope this helps

Last edited by Semper Fi; 11-02-2004 at 10:55 AM.
Semper Fi is offline  
Reply With Quote

Related Topics
Thread Starter
Last Post
Ca$hed Out
General Boating Discussion
07-07-2008 12:36 PM
General Boating Discussion
02-02-2005 07:41 PM
General Boating Discussion
04-25-2004 09:10 PM
General Boating Discussion
06-14-2002 04:57 PM
General Boating Discussion
05-16-2002 12:26 PM

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:00 PM.

Copyright 2011 OffShoreOnly. All rights reserved.