Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   General Boating Discussion (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion-51/)
-   -   Considering New Nor-Tech. Need opinions (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion/89745-considering-new-nor-tech-need-opinions.html)

tayboat 11-02-2004 02:49 PM

Considering New Nor-Tech. Need opinions

I'm considering the new 50' Nor-Tech, but dont know much about the true quality of their products. Currently in a 47 Fountain and looking for great quality in rigging and fabrication. Can you compare to Cig or Outerlimits?

Thanks,
Tayboat

Ben@SRP 11-02-2004 03:09 PM

Re: Considering New Nor-Tech. Need opinions

Have you been to the factory? Call Terry Sobo at: 239-567-5030.
Bottom line, VERY GOOD boat and company!!! No questions...

http://www.nor-techboats.com/main.html

Ron P 11-02-2004 03:11 PM

Take a ride in one for yourself. Super nice boat. Needs triple 1000s and 6s to go 100mph. Be ready for a super large fuel bill.

It will cost a bit more for an Outerlimits but they are lighter and more fuel efficient. Both are at the top of the heap. And Cig is right there too.

Did you see the new Apache 47 from McManus?

Shopping in this league should be fun.

tayboat 11-02-2004 03:12 PM

Ben-
How would you compare it to Cig or Outerlimits?

otis311 11-02-2004 03:42 PM

[QUOTE=tayboat]I'm considering the new 50' Nor-Tech, Can you compare to Cig or Outerlimits?

Its all of that if not better !! And I own a Cigarette

Call Terry and go see the factory

Bob Scanlon

Stormrider 11-02-2004 03:43 PM

My father was just at the Lauderdale show.
My Pantera is the 1st HP boat he's had upclose experience with.
He's been into Sportfishing boats since the early 50s... both Hi end and custom built, so he knows what quality is when he sees it...
He calls me from the show..."Cig had some nice boats, about 9. Outerlimits also looked awsome(he named a particular boat which I can't remember). And there was a company called Nor Tech... wow, these had unbelievable cockpits/helms and the finish was top notch."

He was very impressed w/ NorTech... and he never heard of them.

GLH 11-02-2004 03:55 PM

NorTech's are all there.

Can't go wrong with the brands you mentioned.

Let us know the first time someone asks "Is that oneaaa them thar Cigarette boats?" :D:D:D

Airpacker 11-02-2004 05:38 PM

I had the pleasure of getting up close and personal with a couple NorTechs this summer and I was very impressed by what I saw. Interiors and gel work were very nice but the rigging in the engine compartment was awsome. Predator, a 50 powered by triple NorTech 850's and #6 drys was incredible. It destroyed big water and cruised at 80 effortlessly. Tooling, gel,rigging, all top notch.

Jassman 11-02-2004 05:42 PM

Originally Posted by tayboat
I'm considering the new 50' Nor-Tech, but dont know much about the true quality of their products. Currently in a 47 Fountain and looking for great quality in rigging and fabrication. Can you compare to Cig or Outerlimits?

Thanks,
Tayboat

Tayboat, the quality of Nortech is excellent. The 50 is actually 52' long and there 4300 is 44'11". I have rafted up against a 47 Fountain many times in my 4300, the Fountain is slightly longer, but my Nortech 4300 is wider, taller and has more headroom. The rigging is excellent, the cabin is spacious and well laid out. We constantly get the thumbs up on how sexy the product looks in the water.
There is a 04' 50 for sale, as well as my 04' 4300, if you need some pics let me know, or check the classifieds here in OSO under Nortech, thanks and good luck to you. Jeff

LapseofReason 11-02-2004 07:31 PM

I have an 98 50 with tripp 850's and 5 drives, Run's High 90's. I love the boat I bought it from Terry, it was a trade in. I had a few problems right off the batt and he took care of me and didn't have too.It's been great since. I think only the OL compares to Nor-Tech. I would buy another one.

xclusive 11-02-2004 08:14 PM

Why is it that alot of people buys Nortech, especially cats, and then after 15, 25 or 35 hrs they put them for sale?
Just bought a used 3600 with twins 725's, hope I did'nt make a mistake?

Ron P 11-02-2004 08:31 PM

They probably want to upgrade to a bigger one.

hugetime1 11-02-2004 08:37 PM

i will tell you that I am not in the market for a nor-tech right now, but terry still took the time to give me a tour of the factory and another thing I like about nor-tech is when you call them, they call you back. can't say that about alot of companies, it is the small thing like a prompt return phone call that makes me happy. but they co build one hell of a boat 2.

GATORONE 11-02-2004 08:45 PM

Ron P

I have not seen a Skater get by me yet.A lot of 36 owners by 43's or build new 36's. I am on my second 36 in the last twelve months and they are awesome boats. Exclusive, you bought a great looking and running boat. It will be the best boat buy you ever made. :cool: :drink:

xclusive 11-02-2004 08:53 PM

Originally Posted by Ron P
Cause they get dusted by Skaters.

Is the skater mutch bigger then the nortech if you compare 36 for 36 or are they the same size?
Does the skater have a nice cabin like the nortech, head on one side and great place for storage on the other side ?
How much faster can a skater be boat for boat, engine for engine?

xclusive 11-02-2004 08:59 PM

Originally Posted by GATORONE
Ron P

I have not seen a Skater get by me yet.A lot of 36 owners by 43's or build new 36's. I am on my second 36 in the last twelve months and they are awesome boats. Exclusive, you bought a great looking and running boat. It will be the best boat buy you ever made. :cool: :drink:

I took a ride in Randy's boat, I know that we can't compare because of the engines but I was so impress on how cats eat those 3 to 5 foothers cruising beetween 60 to 80 mph!

What a ride that was.
Thanks for your comment, it reasures me alot.
By the way you'll probably be in Key West, so will we,
What is the name of your boat, Iwould like to meet you?

GATORONE 11-02-2004 09:00 PM

A skater is a foot narrower a two foot shorter and about 2000 lbs lighter

xclusive 11-02-2004 09:05 PM

A skater is a foot narrower a two foot shorter and about 2000 lbs lighter

So we're not comparing apples with apples here!

And why did you change your boat for another one just like it?

GATORONE 11-02-2004 09:13 PM

Exactly............ I just like to build new boats, it won't be long before I start another.

totalmp 11-03-2004 08:09 AM

Nortech is truly a cut above. We just ordered 3 of them at the Ft. Lauderdale show. The boats are now avaiable with TMP EFI engines(up to 1500 HP) from the factory. Give Randy Sweers a call or check out Fastboats.com.

Gator is right, we haven't been touched by a Skater or MTI either. The new 3600 we're building will have TMP 1600 EFI's, and several tricks to make it outperform any other cat on the water. Besides, these boats destroy rough water.

Strip Poker 388 11-03-2004 10:25 AM

Originally Posted by xclusive
Is the skater mutch bigger then the nortech if you compare 36 for 36 or are they the same size?
Does the skater have a nice cabin like the nortech, head on one side and great place for storage on the other side ?
How much faster can a skater be boat for boat, engine for engine?

I have never heard of a skater with a cabin.

Look at the dash of a Nortech its a molded piece ,unlike the flat panels dashes.Also compare the styling on the engine hatch,looks like outer limits is getting some ideas on it from Nortech.The cockpits of the Cigs are getting wild,the outerlimits cockpit colors seem drab to me,Hustler is the same since 99.Skater seems to be bare bones,I haven't seen the cabin on a 46 Cig maybe its still close the the old covergirl cabin :(

I guess you have to figure what you really want,speed,resale,styling ,speed,brand name recognition [the Jones],speed,price?

I would say the Nortech 50,cig 46,outerlimits 52,Hustler 50.

I think Hustler is the only one that has put trip 500efi that runs low 80's. the others usually put bug power in them so its going hard to compare apples in speed.

As far as the cats the fastest ones , the guys thats buying the RACE boats are buying the fastest hull that money can buy,some teams don't ask price :eek: so what do you see on the race course the most???

Whats the beam on the 50 footers??Trailering?

vtec 11-03-2004 11:53 AM

Outerlimits has the epoxy option, which if used correctly, is stronger, and lighter.

Nortech has awesome cockpit/interiors.

Strip Poker 388 11-03-2004 12:59 PM

The bathroom looks smaller that the Hustler.Good looking boat and you could probaly put the superchargers on it.

http://www.thebrokerageshop.com/site...tem_59104.html

Ron P 11-03-2004 04:09 PM

Ron P

Sorry guys, I was just kidding. I should have added the :D face.

For the record, I've only been on one Nortech so far. It was 50' with triple 1100s. It was awesome to say the least. There's a white 36 Nortech cat that runs behind my house and makes U turns at 100mph. It looks and sounds great. I plan to go for a test ride with him next spring.

I will say that the interior of a Nortech cat looks sharper than anything else I've seen. Like I said, the newest generation of boats from Nortech, Outerlimits and Cigarette are really works of art and I would love to have the problem of selecting the right boat for myself. You should enjoy the hunt.

PS. Maybe while in Key West, some one would be kind enough to take me for a ride on a 36 or 43 Nor-Tech cat. I'll be there all week. :drink:

xclusive 11-03-2004 05:36 PM

Originally Posted by totalmp
Nortech is truly a cut above. We just ordered 3 of them at the Ft. Lauderdale show. The boats are now avaiable with TMP EFI engines(up to 1500 HP) from the factory. Give Randy Sweers a call or check out Fastboats.com.

Gator is right, we haven't been touched by a Skater or MTI either. The new 3600 we're building will have TMP 1600 EFI's, and several tricks to make it outperform any other cat on the water. Besides, these boats destroy rough water.

You're right. When I talk to my freinds, they all say you've got to have calm water for cats. From what I've seen in Randy's boat, rough water or not, they go like hell and you don't get pounded in them.
If there's a deep-v boat that rides as smooth as those nortech in rouch waters, it would be nice to try them out.

lucky strike 11-03-2004 05:49 PM

Originally Posted by Ron P
Sorry guys, I was just kidding. I should have added the :D face.

For the record, I've only been on one Nortech so far. It was 50' with triple 1100s. It was awesome to say the least. There's a white 36 Nortech cat that runs behind my house and makes U turns at 100mph. It looks and sounds great. I plan to go for a test ride with him next spring.

I will say that the interior of a Nortech cat looks sharper than anything else I've seen. Like I said, the newest generation of boats from Nortech, Outerlimits and Cigarette are really works of art and I would love to have the problem of selecting the right boat for myself. You should enjoy the hunt.

PS. Maybe while in Key West, some one would be kind enough to take me for a ride on a 36 or 43 Nor-Tech cat. I'll be there all week. :drink:

You mean Jim C's? He runs around with Jet Set. His 36' has twin 1000s detuned to 880HP, 135 MPH.

LS JR.

Ron P 11-03-2004 06:09 PM

That's the one.

SCRAPMAN1 11-03-2004 10:40 PM

Nor Tech Builds A Nice Boat But You Should Take A Look At The Hustler 50 Before Deciding.

super termoli 11-04-2004 03:19 AM

Nortechs are great boats. But give us a bit more info about what you want. Do you want to go mild or wild with your motors? What kind of speed do you want? What kind of budget do you have?

A Nortech 5000 is great and I would definitely look into it as well as into Outerlimits if I was going for big power. However, if you're looking to stick to stock 525s, keep your warranties, have large as opposed to outrageous fuel bills and still be in the upper 80s, I would definitely look at Hustler.

I warn you that I am a bit partial here but all I am saying is take a look at it. Strong construction, nice headroom and interior space, great bathroom space and great performance. The one shown in Miami 2002 was rigged with triple HP500s and went 83 mph the first time it hit the water. That's quite amazing for a loaded boat with a generator, A/C, flatscreen, DVD, premium sound system, full galley... and such mild power.

Chuck 11-04-2004 06:25 AM

Gatorone, I spoke with you a little bit about your boat at the sarasota poker run. I am the guy who just had ordered a 36 from Randy. I really liked the interior colors on your boat and have been searching alot of the pictures of your boat here on OSO. I am having trouble finding any real good interior shots of your boat. Dean at Art of Design just got done with the paint job designs and I think the colors on the inside of your boat would go well with the paint job i decided on. Would you be willing to e-mail me some shots? [email protected]

tayboat 11-05-2004 04:23 PM

Great feedback from all of you.
This has helped alot with my research.
Thank you all very much for your time and info!

I am in touch with Terry...

Thanks again,
tayboat

Buddy OO 11-06-2004 07:33 PM

Nortech is a first class company, they produce an awesome boat and stand behind it. Terry is a honest cool missourian, who will go out of his way to take care of his customers. I have been in 3 diferent models now and own 2 nortechs and just took on the dealership rights in missouri. I have an 04 50v that is flawless. has 30 hours on it with 850's 6 drives and every option. new retail on it is over 800k. have it listed for 549k. its a great deal. you cannot beat the ride. it can handle any wave conditions. and can run close to 100mph. call me if interested. will have it in key west if you want to demo it. thanks jim midwest performance marine 636 236 4141

The Menace 11-06-2004 07:36 PM

Quit wasting your time reading these posts and write the check. :cool:

Nauti Kitty 11-07-2004 10:08 AM

Originally Posted by totalmp

You have run against Bicardi Silver? And he can't touch you? Seems to me there is rarely a definitive statement like yours that can be backed up. Since MTI and Skater are currently the boats of choice for supercat racing, maybe there are a couple of other boat builders doing nice things too? NK

vette131 11-07-2004 10:26 AM

Originally Posted by Nauti Kitty
You have run against Bicardi Silver? And he can't touch you? Seems to me there is rarely a definitive statement like yours that can be backed up. Since MTI and Skater are currently the boats of choice for supercat racing, maybe there are a couple of other boat builders doing nice things too? NK

skater & mti build great race boats but when it comes to outragous fast cats that have all the creature comforts like ac & generator nortech is hands down the winner. the interior & styling of nortech's sets them apart from the race boat crowd. i've seen several 36&50 nortech cats as well as 43 &50 v's at poker runs & just out boating. can't remember running into bacardi silver though. skater & mti build great boats that are top notch & fast,
but if you want luxury & style with your speed,nortech wins for me.

totalmp 11-07-2004 04:13 PM

Ours is a pleasure boat capable of running speeds in excess of 170 MPH. The boat has a full cabin including A/C, Gen, Full bathroom and queen sized berth. The boat seats 6 people comfortably and runs on pump gas. Three weeks ago, Merritt and Brittani, the spokeswomen for Extreme Motorsports, drove the boat 145 MPH for a TV show with Travel Channel.
So yes, to answer your question we've got a boat that destroys Bacardi Silver and MTI. Its easy to make a race boat go fast. Wait for the new Extreme Edition NorTech.

JCPERF 11-07-2004 04:21 PM

There is a 36 nortech cat in port orange FL that goes 178 mph with KE1300s.Full cabin and all.

dblstck 11-07-2004 04:35 PM

HUH.........?????? Damn they must be great boats thats why there are so many racing super boat or super cat. Hell the guy racing one in super cat lite is on his second boat and STILL in the back of the pack after like 5 different throttlemen. Guess thats why he has an new 36 Skater on order.

Sean H 11-07-2004 04:46 PM

i think you are confusing pleasure boats and race boats... nor-tech doesn't claim to be a race boat just a h-performance pleasure boat, and a very good one at that. Skaters are the sh*t, but are not for everybody...

open87 11-07-2004 07:11 PM

[QUOTE=totalmp].
So yes, to answer your question we've got a boat that destroys Bacardi Silver and MTI.

i call bullchit!!!