Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > General Discussion > General Boating Discussion
How to become a marine tech? >

How to become a marine tech?

Notices

How to become a marine tech?

Old 11-05-2004, 12:49 AM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Lightbulb Re: How to become a marine tech?

Originally Posted by R Addiction
At least you get a good tan and stay in shape!!!!
skin cancer

Hey R am I bugging you yet?
Old 11-05-2004, 06:15 AM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 122 Likes on 77 Posts
Default Re: How to become a marine tech?

You might have to move south for more steady work. Like any other business too, the guys who own the business make big money but not the worker bees.
Old 11-05-2004, 08:01 AM
OSO OG
Gold Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The only problem I have in life (business life) is getting good tech's. I does not matter what I pay them - 20/hr, 30/ hr, flat rate, straight time, salary, benefits, bonuses whatever -- I can't keep them. This is the biggest problem facing the marine industry today.

Before I got into the marine business full time, which was about 10 years ago, I decided to go to a year long technical school to get some product specific knowledge (Mercury, Yamaha, etc.) This was incredibly valuable.

I suggest you find a good tech program that will give you basic certifications upon completion of their course and then go to a large, reputable dealer with a nice shop. Get your feet wet with the basic stuff before you plunge into this high performance stuff. You can't fix a #6 without knowing how to fix an Alpha. You know, crawl before you walk. You will also learn how the business works. Maybe you would like to be in parts or service writing. At least you can see what is going on.

Just be prepared to put your dues in. Don't get caught up in the whining of the guys who have worked at 20 places in 20 years and are *****ing about the job. Don't hesistate to call me if there is anything I can help you with.

Good luck.
Old 11-05-2004, 09:30 AM
Registered

Received 61 Likes on 22 Posts

The only thing i see about going to school is that once you get hired somewhere they are going to want it done their way. Half the time they want it done different than school taught you.

Experience gets everything started. I started sweeping the floors and before i knew it i was rerigging a 420 Baja with triple 850's, and working on all the latest 100+mph projects. I fell in love with the fabrication and rigging part. Now i have done everything myself. See my project below.

The statement about begging for an entry level position is correct. Get in somewhere and see how they do it. Every shop has its own characteristics and will have you learn them.

Now that i have worked in high performance boats for a short time i can say that i wouldnt want to make a living in the shop. I am trying to find my way into the business end of the boating industy since i will be graduating this year.
Old 11-05-2004, 09:44 AM
AT Cult Member #3
VIP Member

Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts

buyafountain, Where is your shop?
Old 11-05-2004, 09:45 AM
AT Cult Member #3
VIP Member

Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts

DUH!!! Myrtle Beach S.C. I bet!!
Old 11-05-2004, 02:15 PM
OSO OG
Gold Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Myrtle Beach (right on the NC/SC line)
Old 11-05-2004, 04:06 PM
Registered

Received 71 Likes on 39 Posts

Thanks for the info buyafountain. I have been giving a lot of thought to relocating. I am currently in the process of becoming a local county sheriff deputy. The way ive been looking at it lately is, if im gonna make 50k a year, I might as well make it somewhere warm. Boating season's here are just too short. Fiance is willing to relocate, but #1 job and leaving family(Mom, dad, sister, etc) is holding me back. But, to me life is short, and I want me and wife to have a happy life together. I thought about opening a small shop here, but that scares me too.

My dad wanted to open a business when he first got married. Mom said no, it was too risky. He regrets it to this day, after being a Chicago Policeman for 30 years. So he is all for it. Who would have thought life can be so confusing? LOL
Old 11-05-2004, 06:55 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by ExcaliburHawk40
The only thing i see about going to school is that once you get hired somewhere they are going to want it done their way. Half the time they want it done different than school taught you.

Experience gets everything started. I started sweeping the floors and before i knew it i was rerigging a 420 Baja with triple 850's, and working on all the latest 100+mph projects. I fell in love with the fabrication and rigging part. Now i have done everything myself. See my project below.

The statement about begging for an entry level position is correct. Get in somewhere and see how they do it. Every shop has its own characteristics and will have you learn them.

Now that i have worked in high performance boats for a short time i can say that i wouldnt want to make a living in the shop. I am trying to find my way into the business end of the boating industy since i will be graduating this year.
That is what I started doing over the past summer. Knew a bunch of the Hi Perf boaters around here, most took them to one shop. Started hanging out there (2+ years ago), learned a bunch of book knowledge, then this summer our Baja needed some work done, worked a deal out, did the work with the help of a certified tech/f1 racer. Got a job there, first job was helping put new valve springs in a 42 Fountain with tripple 500 EFI's.

Best job I have ever had, more fun than any other job Ive had, it has now been 4.5 months and I actually get bummed out come the weekends!

And the perfect boat mechanic would have no legs.

I did a lot of question asking about this time last year, will try to dig up the threads.

Good Luck!!

Tommy
Old 11-05-2004, 07:54 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I say go for it. I love building engines and if you can make a living at it go ahead. I would jump at an opertunity in the marine business even if it meant less money. Doing something you love for a living is VERY RARE.

Roby

Quick Reply: How to become a marine tech?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.