Dually? is it really needed? Good and bad issues

Notices

Dually? is it really needed? Good and bad issues

Old 11-05-2004, 05:30 PM
Charter Member#157
Charter Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Dually? is it really needed? Good and bad issues

I am thinking about my replacement truck after this winter.
Have always owned 1/2 tons
never owned a deisel either
now looking for a 3/4 - 1ton deisel
what should I stay away from?
I do not really care what maker it is, they all have + and -'s

My two concerns are that years NOT to do since I will need to be getting used. Probably under 25 grand worth

also, do you really need duals?
Heard that they waste tires faster. Not really caring about having to park away at stores and such because I do that now.

Lets hear some ideas and what NOT to do

thanks
Old 11-05-2004, 05:43 PM
'05 Concept SF23
VIP Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default Re: Dually? is it really needed? Good and bad issues

I have towed the following, 28 Sonic with 3/4 ton 4wd Yukon XL and a 1997 crew cab dually. Not much difference. Also have towed Formula F311 with both trucks. Big difference! Now tow 43 foot BlackThunder with the dually. Glad I have electric/hydraulic disc brakes on all three axles. Make sure your new truck has disc brakes on front and rear. The older Chevy's with rear drums don't work very well. I have a 3/4 ton 4wd 2002 Yukon for sale now. Tow rating of 12K #.E-mail me at [email protected] for details if you are interested.
Old 11-05-2004, 06:23 PM
Registered

Received 10 Likes on 4 Posts

I towed my TG from Austin, TX to Miami with a 2001 F350 dually with 7.3 Diesel and didn't even feel the boat was back there....

I have also towed it with a V10 Excursion...works well too, but gas will kill you...

I'm looking for used F250 or F350 SRW....I don't think dually is absolutely necessary...however, if you have no issue with the size, then I'd go with dually for the extra stability........definitely go 4 x 4 though.....
Old 11-05-2004, 06:26 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I think it depends on how much you're going to tow and how much you're going to drive it. I've towed with both. My boat, motors and trailer weighs about 10,000lbs. I can tell you that when I towed with my Dodge 2500 Cummins TD 4x4 (single axle) it pulled it fine except you could feel a little "wiggle" in the rear of the truck occasionally. Now, with my F350 Powerstroke Dually, there is no "wiggle" and pulls with alot more sure-footedness.

The Diesels will give you alot more longevity, power and much improved fuel economy. I also used to tow with a F250 with a 7.5L and the new Chevy with the 8.1L and allision. Both of those trucks were okay too, but fuel mileage was about 10-12 not towing whereas I'm getting approx 17.5-18.5 with my Powerstroke.

Just my .02 cents worth...
Old 11-05-2004, 06:49 PM
Banned

I had a brand new Chevy 3500 diesel dually. Never again! It was a beautiful truck, but what a pain in the ass to drive around town and park. Don't even thing about going through the drive thru at the bank with one. I found that out the hard way. I got the tires stuck and had to get out and get everyone in line to back up so I could get out. If you need a one ton, go with the SRW.
Old 11-05-2004, 07:24 PM
Registered

Duallys are meant for towing.......NOT for going thru drive-thrus.
Old 11-05-2004, 10:11 PM
Registered

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

man i miss my dually. ecept the time at the bank drive thru when the teller reopen the drawer before i got all the way out and pulled it off with the fender. ouch!!! that thing could pull!
Old 11-05-2004, 11:13 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 817 Likes on 374 Posts

Duallys look tough,they tow on dry ground well but they suck the rest of the time. In the snow they climb up on top constantly,they are hard to manuever,they get worse mileage than srw,wear tires out faster. I wouldn't buy another one unless it was ABSOLUTELY neccessary. My 3/4 ton hd duramax tows just fine with srw's,keep load range e tires on it and put 85 psi in them when towing,really no sway. The punks around here put big tires on there hd fords and chevys,load range c or d,makes them handle like crap,sway all over,they might as well have a 1/2 ton truck,tires and pres are important,Smitty
Old 11-05-2004, 11:17 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I drive my dually to Court every day!!!!! I wouldnt be without it.
Attached Thumbnails Dually? is it really needed?  Good and bad issues-dsc01525.jpg  
Old 11-05-2004, 11:51 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by pachangalpina
Duallys are meant for towing.......NOT for going thru drive-thrus.

And maybe if that's all I did with it, I'd have one. I put 50,000 a year on my truck, so it has to be versatile. I've had both and would never buy another.

Quick Reply: Dually? is it really needed? Good and bad issues

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.