Flight Instructor in Key West >

Flight Instructor in Key West

Notices

Flight Instructor in Key West

Old 11-16-2004, 06:07 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Flight Instructor in Key West

Since I sold my boat, I am taking my plane to keywest, I only have my student pilot license, and need a instructor to help me plan my trip back, or fly with me while I am down there. Any oso instructors, going to be in keywest this weekend ??

Greg 954 856 8555
Old 11-16-2004, 06:44 AM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: Flight Instructor in Key West

Where are you flying out of to EYW?

I see your flying form Pompano? Flying from the east coast you actually start south and eventually end up heading west to EYW. There is also a teathered balloon near Big Pine key.
EYW is a controlled airport with a navy AF base next door. Make sure your charts are up to date and your log book is approved by your CFI for your trip down and back. Always ID yourself as a student pilot to the controllers. Request flight following and you have to maintain a decent altitude for radar and radio communications to maintain flight following.
If you do not have flight following. Make sure you contact EYW approach as the charts instruct.
Many years ago I flew from FT Lauderdale Exec to EYW. For grins and scenery I requested permission to get 300 ft over the water and fly the shoreline the entire route. Very intersting flight. There are a number of private islands with houses as large as the island and yachts that are ocean crossing vessel size. Also several private resorts for the rich and maybe not so famous that you can only get there by boat.

There is usually a lot of haze through the keys. It is wise to follow the highway through the keys for VFR flight.

I am flying from Fort Myers Thursday afternoon IFR. If you need help planning let me know.

A straight shot from the west coast is all water. VFR is tough over water. You will need a gps because unless you get altitude the VOR in EYW will be unreadable by your navigational equipment.

Last edited by expresscat39; 11-16-2004 at 07:21 AM.
Old 11-16-2004, 04:16 PM
Registered

You can go onto www.duats.com and use the resources there to check weather, notams, FDC notams, TFR's, as well as file a flight plan using all the wind data. You can then print the flight plan and use it while you're flying.
Old 11-16-2004, 04:53 PM
Registered

Re: Flight Instructor in Key West

By the way, if we make it down we'll most likely fly into Ft. Myers and rent a plane at Page Field to fly down to KW.
Old 11-16-2004, 04:58 PM
Charter Member #232
Charter Member

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

and don't forget your PLM and your heal card with a good HMO and your cell phone with DISA
Old 11-16-2004, 06:30 PM
Registered

Lmfao!
Old 11-16-2004, 06:46 PM
Registered

I have a duats account and I am getting the sign offs tomorrow night, I would be going from boca / naples / marathon / keywest. I will be at about 2000ft so dont hit me. I got all the charts and 3 gps's on the plane .
Old 11-16-2004, 07:56 PM
OSO Moderator
Charter Member

Received 25 Likes on 6 Posts

you should get one more GPS just to be safe
Old 11-17-2004, 06:54 AM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by thespy
I have a duats account and I am getting the sign offs tomorrow night, I would be going from boca / naples / marathon / keywest. I will be at about 2000ft so dont hit me. I got all the charts and 3 gps's on the plane .
Naples? Check you charts again. Naples is over her where I am at on the west side. I leave Page (FortMyers) on a direct route and fly over Naples then Marco to KW.

Pompano, Ft Lauderdale, Miami, Key Largo, Marathon, Key West. Folllow the shore line @ 1000 ft.
Old 11-17-2004, 08:34 AM
Registered

One of those little compass thingies out of a Cracker Jacks box would be nice, just in case,,,,,,,,and you'll need to do a weight-and-balance check to be sure the GPS batteries don't put you over the gross weight,,,,,,,,,
Seriously, just get flight following down and back and you're good to go.
Remember, IFR means I Follow Roads. And be sure to keep your eyes peeled for Amelia Earhart.
What are you doing your training in?

Quick Reply: Flight Instructor in Key West

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.