Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > General Discussion > General Boating Discussion
Marine engine builder Chicago area >

Marine engine builder Chicago area

Notices

Marine engine builder Chicago area

Old 01-21-2008, 09:24 PM
VIP Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

WOW This is an old thread !!! I ended up using TNT racing engines out of Gurnee IL. Tim is my guy and he is very straight forward. Very reasonably priced and delivers the goods. He has a brand new facility with all the best equipment and he knows how to use it for sure. I currently have him building a set of new motors as we speak. He can be reached at 847-244-2020. If you need something tell him Smitty sent you.

I also went to Tyler Crockett for the fuel tuning. He is great with the fuel mapping on the Merc stuff. Between these two guys they have it covered.
Old 01-22-2008, 04:22 AM
Registered

Default Ateco engines

Ateco, well quality is my biggest concern, but being late worries me.
I have had a good expierience so far with Ateco but my motor has not been built yet, i am still deciding what i want doen to my 502 going to a 540 now.

As long as it is done right, i am happy.
Old 01-22-2008, 06:40 AM
VIP Member

Jump-

Make sure you set a time limit with Bill at Ateco. He never seems to get things done in a timely manner. If he hasn't started building it yet, it's not too late to switch if you have concerns.

Last edited by Smitty; 01-22-2008 at 09:19 AM.
Old 01-22-2008, 08:22 AM
Registered

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

tim at "tnt" built my 510 a few years back. very happy with the product, price, and service. he was a pleasure to deal with. always there to answer questions. motor is still running great w no issues. he will be building my new motor soon.
Old 01-22-2008, 09:07 AM
Racer
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Tyler Crockett Racing Engines in MI
Old 01-22-2008, 10:53 AM
Registered

Received 78 Likes on 47 Posts

Originally Posted by 10x
Just my $.02 here, but I've seen ALOT of engines built from different people in the Chicago area, and they've all had some kind of horror stories with them.

...the ONLY, and I mean ONLY person that I would trust doing anything on my stuff is a guy from Jenison Michigan. That's Dave Wesseldyk from Wesco racing engines.

His shop # is 616-662-2250, and his cell # is 616-308-5119

Good luck with whatever you decide...............Frank
I agree with Frank. I keep seeing more and more engines in Dave's shop of guys from the Chicago area...they just keep trickling in by pairs.

Dave Wesseldyk is extremely talented machinist, fabricator, welder, craftsman...he can make just about anything! He has many years of experience with marine hi-perf/racing engines and he knows what it takes to keep them from coming apart,....but one of the attributes I like about Dave is that he does not sugar coat anything. He will not BS you...he just tells you straight without the hype.

Dave gets several customers from out of state who come to his shop who have been dissappointed, ripped off by other engine builders or are always having engine problems, etc. I am glad that I live only a few miles from his shop and I was there the day Frank had one of his engines on the dyno.

I had my 565cid engines built by Dave about 3 seasons or so ago and I am very happy. It's a nice feeling to get in your boat, turn the key and go boating when you want. I would say about 95% of the engines Dave builds are for marine offshore use.

Also, Wesseldyk does not advertise...he doesn't need to....his reputation speaks for itself and his shop is always busy. If you're from Chicago and reliable offshore engines are what you're looking for, then Wesseldyk's shop is worth the trip.

Last edited by KAAMA; 01-22-2008 at 10:56 AM.
Old 01-22-2008, 11:10 AM
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

KAAMA you hit the nail on the head , he is a honest straight shooter and tells it like it is . I've dealt with engine builders before who have done the sugar coating,buddy buddy b/s .Dave has no problem telling you just like it is ,what will work and what wont and if you dont like it theres the door .Dealt with engine guys in Havasu (friggin crook) and in mo (friggin b/sers ) but gotta like dave for his tell it like it is approach. ROCK ON DAVE we'll be stopping by if i can get Chris to make some room in the paint booth at SKATER lets see its only been 2 mos and counting
Old 01-22-2008, 06:23 PM
Registered

Received 367 Likes on 211 Posts

Originally Posted by mrhorsepower1
I am in Cleveland,Ohio. From Chicago I am 7-8 hours. I have a few clients near Chicago area.
Dont forget one in Wisconsin.
Old 01-22-2008, 06:29 PM
Registered

Received 367 Likes on 211 Posts

FYI, Theres also NVR racing in Milwuakee........... "littletommy" knows him real well.
Jr.
Old 01-23-2008, 12:15 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by jump_26transport
Ateco, well quality is my biggest concern, but being late worries me.
I have had a good expierience so far with Ateco but my motor has not been built yet, i am still deciding what i want doen to my 502 going to a 540 now.

As long as it is done right, i am happy.
Bill at Ateco does QUALITY work. I know a ton of very happy customers from Ateco. Timing has been the only concern. But get it writing before you start and I don't think you will have any problems.

Quick Reply: Marine engine builder Chicago area

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.