Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   General Boating Discussion (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion-51/)
-   -   Fabio Buzzi Sets new World Record (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion/91277-fabio-buzzi-sets-new-world-record.html)

SHARKEY-IMAGES 11-28-2004 10:14 AM

Fabio Buzzi Sets new World Record

From SBI's website:

Fabio Buzzi Sets new Super Boat International World Record Run from Tampa to Miami

MIAMI, FLORIDA – November 25, 2004 – Key West World Championship racer sets a new Super Boat International World Record run from Tampa to Miami. After racing in a three race format World Championship Race in Key West and winning the title of World Champion in his class on November 21st, legendary racer Fabio Buzzi placed his FB Design vee bottom race boat on a trailer and headed for the Tampa Skyway Bridge. Fabio had one more feat for his boat before it headed back to Italy, which was to make a new record run.

At 7:41:00am on Tuesday morning, the Sony boat was back in the water with a crew of three and heading for the marker at the entrance of Miami’s Government Cut, it arrived at 11:28:30am. It took the crew 3hrs-47min-30sec to make the trip, beating the old record of 3hrs-57min-00sec. Fabio Buzzi accomplished this amazing triumph with his 47’ FB Design hull with 2 – 1300HP Isotta Fraschini diesel engines with tri max drives.

Super Boat International Productions, Inc. sanctioned this record run and owns the rights. The official timers were Bill Livingston from Tampa and Gary Ballough in Miami.

Congratulations to Fabio Buzzi’s crew Gianfranco Zanon, Monica Rapezzotti, and Binda Antonio all from Italy.

RumRunner 11-28-2004 10:38 AM

Re: Fabio Buzzi Sets new World Record

Very Impressive... Especially after running all three races, and possibly hurting the engines as they did during Saturday's race. Fabio said they were running the engines out of oil since they were designed for all of the turns, and blew a turbo.

Sean H 11-28-2004 10:42 AM

2 Attachment(s)
is this the boat?

SHARKEY-IMAGES 11-28-2004 11:12 AM

2 Attachment(s)
This is the FB Design

Note:
It is only the thumbnail that seems to have a problem with the pictures. Click on them for the larger pic and its fine and clear.....

Reed Jensen 11-28-2004 01:01 PM

Wow.... did any of you guys notice how deep the vee is on that hull?.... all the way to the rear.... It should handle the rough pretty well like that........ :eek:

CAP071 11-28-2004 04:56 PM

I wonder how it would run with big gas motors

Catmando 01-06-2011 09:46 AM

All I can say is 1300hp is hellacious HP from a diesel race motor! :eek: :eek:

Steve 1 01-06-2011 09:53 AM

Originally Posted by Catmando (Post 3290082)

He was in our shop years back when they were thinking about re-factoring his diesels, the guy laughed and said then I will build a 500Ci 2 stroke gas engine.

HabanaJoe 01-06-2011 10:22 AM

You don't know what kind of engines they are - meaning cubic inches?

They could be 1hp per cubic inch which is nothing?

I know, I poke holes in everything, it's my job, someone has to be the d*ck - LOL!

Steve 1 01-06-2011 10:34 AM

Originally Posted by HabanaJoe (Post 3290108)

I know, I poke holes in everything, it's my job, someone has to be the d*ck - LOL!

LOL Sir sometimes reality is bad news.

HabanaJoe 01-06-2011 11:03 AM

Out of nothing but curiosity, does anybody know what blocks were in there for sure?

SS930 01-06-2011 11:06 AM

I respect the hell out of FB. The man has always been an innovative thinker and into running REAL OFFSHORE RACING, rather than some of the 1 or 2 boat field "World Championship" pond racing often found in the US in recent years.

Catmando 01-06-2011 11:21 AM

Originally Posted by HabanaJoe (Post 3290108)

After 15 minutes of frustrated Googling this is all I could find;

'THE series 1700 engine is available in the 700 to 2600kW output range. It is used to power new shunters or to re-power existing locomotives. The series 1300 (pictured right), which until now has been used for marine, road vehicle, and industrial applications, covers the 220 to 880kW output range. It is available in three versions: as a six cylinder in-line engine, and in a V configuration in either eight or 12-cylinder versions.

The six-cylinder in-line engine is the first series 1300 unit to be adapted for rail. This is an 11.3 litre engine with a 130mm bore and a 142mm stroke.'

So the 8 and 12cyl versions will be even larger...

aquafun 01-06-2011 11:26 AM

fantastic I see you are doing plenty of research http://boatmad.com/forum/images/smilies/thumbs%20up.gif on the post I made in ... Best rough water boat ever built?????
http://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/g...-built-67.html

Originally Posted by HabanaJoe (Post 3290126)
Out of nothing but curiosity, does anybody know what blocks were in there for sure?

Big ones :party-smiley-004:

Catmando 01-06-2011 11:40 AM

Originally Posted by aquafun (Post 3290142)
fantastic I see you are doing plenty of research http://boatmad.com/forum/images/smilies/thumbs%20up.gif on the post I made in ... Best rough water boat ever built?????
http://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/g...-built-67.html

Big ones :party-smiley-004:

I knew about that boat years ago, just forgot it. :o When you have a vessel that can run 110mph in 8-10s all day you know you are almost unbeatable.

Ciao! 01-06-2011 11:42 AM

Originally Posted by SS930 (Post 3290131)
I respect the hell out of FB. The man has always been an innovative thinker and into running REAL OFFSHORE RACING, rather than some of the 1 or 2 boat field "World Championship" pond racing often found in the US in recent years.

http://britishpowerboatracingclub.co.uk/fb.jpg

Taking a lecture last year from FB at Cowes!

7075T6 01-06-2011 12:01 PM

http://fbdesign.it/c55.php

Isotta F 1312-engines, V12 - 20 liters.

Catmando 01-06-2011 12:02 PM

Originally Posted by Ciao! (Post 3290154)
http://britishpowerboatracingclub.co.uk/fb.jpg

You're a lucky man to get face time with the Maestro...

aquafun 01-06-2011 12:02 PM

Originally Posted by Ciao! (Post 3290154)

hey get back to your side of the pond http://boatmad.com/forum/images/smilies/hugegrin.gif by the startled look on your face I recon Buzzi just told you how much HP those diesel's really make

CigDaze 01-06-2011 12:03 PM

Originally Posted by 7075T6 (Post 3290163)
http://fbdesign.it/c55.php

Isotta F 1312-engines, V12 - 20 liters.

At 1.07 HP/Cubic Inch, that's pretty mild. I wonder what those things weigh?

Catmando 01-06-2011 12:08 PM

Steve1 check this out

http://fbdesign.it/R&D.php

T2x 01-06-2011 01:27 PM

Nice to see you guys have "discovered" Fabio.......again.

He's been one of the finest boat racing minds in the world for decades.

T2x

Steve 1 01-06-2011 01:54 PM

Originally Posted by Catmando (Post 3290171)

Cat that is a old system ,but Buzzi has taken it up a level or so,Problem with urethane foam is it has no peel strength until the density of granite, apparently he has a better foam.

Steve 1 01-06-2011 01:57 PM

Originally Posted by T2x (Post 3290219)

T2x

Yes Sir without a doubt.

HabanaJoe 01-06-2011 03:05 PM

Originally Posted by T2x (Post 3290219)

T2x

Wow, you agree with what I say all the time about him, I'm sure but that can't be good for my reputation on here? LOL

Serious question, the 1989 AC World's day 1 (Tuesday) you filmed it(?), we were there - how big were those seas? I have my guess but I would like to hear yours?

The reason I'm asking and no disepect to Catmando's comment here about 110 mph in 8-10 seas. But a real persepctive because I recall Gancia averaged 66 or 76 mph and pasted the Apaches? (I could wrong about this?)

Just an idea of seas and speeds from someone who covered more races than most people have raced in? I know very hard to equate the difficulty of steep waves on the shoals to same sized ocean swells along that course but a back to how fast boats really average in real ocean racing.

OL40SVX 01-06-2011 03:10 PM

I believe the record they broke was Paul Fiore in a triple diesel and blackhawk drive 40 Hustler in the early 90's.

cowisl 01-06-2011 03:38 PM

Originally Posted by fountain40icbm (Post 3290322)
I believe the record they broke was Paul Fiore in a triple diesel and blackhawk drive 40 Hustler in the early 90's.

Always bringing the subject back to OL :drink:

T2x 01-06-2011 04:22 PM

Originally Posted by HabanaJoe (Post 3290311)
Wow, you agree with what I say all the time about him, I'm sure but that can't be good for my reputation on here? LOL

Serious question, the 1989 AC World's day 1 (Tuesday) you filmed it(?), we were there - how big were those seas? I have my guess but I would like to hear yours?

The reason I'm asking and no disepect to Catmando's comment here about 110 mph in 8-10 seas. But a real persepctive because I recall Gancia averaged 66 or 76 mph and pasted the Apaches? (I could wrong about this?)

Just an idea of seas and speeds from someone who covered more races than most people have raced in? I know very hard to equate the difficulty of steep waves on the shoals to same sized ocean swells along that course but a back to how fast boats really average in real ocean racing.

Those seas were legitimate 4-5 feet..... (8-10 feet from peak to trough) with an occasional 7 footer. Yes we covered the event........ Most High Performance boaters make the common mistake of measuring seas from the bottom to the top of the wave rather than the variance from the mean water height which is the proper technique.

By the way....... The people who disagree with me the most.... have no one to blame but themselves.... :D

T2x

Catmando 01-06-2011 05:07 PM

"...Most High Performance boaters make the common mistake of measuring seas from the bottom to the top of the wave..." T2x

That's the way I thought they were measured too. BTW I love your race calls, especially on youtube with Team Apache, "...the magic throttle arm of Bob Saccenti. Show us how it's done Bob." "Pushin and pushin and pushin". "That's the wave that's been out here all week folks". Great stuff! :D

HabanaJoe 01-06-2011 05:40 PM

Originally Posted by T2x (Post 3290386)
Those seas were legitimate 4-5 feet..... (8-10 feet from peak to trough) with an occasional 7 footer. Yes we covered the event........ Most High Performance boaters make the common mistake of measuring seas from the bottom to the top of the wave rather than the variance from the mean water height which is the proper technique.

By the way....... The people who disagree with me the most.... have no one to blame but themselves.... :D

T2x

I don't have the stats from that race but do you remember the speeds and Gancia not even averaging 80 on day 1? I guess with threads about "best rough water boat ever", did any of them ever go as fast as we remember and would a modern day boat, OL, Apache, Donzi, Skater, Mistic, etc, etc really have a higher average speed on a day like that if they had to cover the 100 plus miles?

As you make note of often, you have finish to win and we were all a little more conservative knowing how far you had to go. I told the story on here before about what Buzzi's race plan was for every race:
- get out front first
- stay out front
- always set the pace
- make the gas boats chase you
- even if they pass you 70% of them will break before the race ends
- the other diesel boats can't catch us, so don't worry
- lastly, finish and you'll win by default

ps - we tend to go 2 mph per year faster for every year after the actual event - LOL

THERUSH 01-06-2011 07:49 PM

Originally Posted by fountain40icbm (Post 3290322)

As I recall that boat had issues with the Blackhawks. I believe they attempted the record but I don't recall if they ever broke it.

When we started our project Kyle Petty had broke the record (I think '94) and then in '95 Mark Nemschoff broke Kyles record in one of FB's designs.

We were able to get the record in May of '98 and then get Gentry's record from Miami-Nassau-Miami less than 1 month later.

Harry put together a nice video of our efforts for all 5 of our records.

http://www.greatlakespower.com/spiritAmerica.html

Enjoy.

Rich

OL40SVX 01-06-2011 08:28 PM

Originally Posted by THERUSH (Post 3290569)
As I recall that boat had issues with the Blackhawks. I believe they attempted the record but I don't recall if they ever broke it.

When we started our project Kyle Petty had broke the record (I think '94) and then in '95 Mark Nemschoff broke Kyles record in one of FB's designs.

We were able to get the record in May of '98 and then get Gentry's record from Miami-Nassau-Miami less than 1 month later.

Harry put together a nice video of our efforts for all 5 of our records.

http://www.greatlakespower.com/spiritAmerica.html

Enjoy.

Rich

I believe they did break it then but I will have to confirm with Paul. He may not have back then. They did have problems with the drives. About 3/4 the way they blew a drive and then a couple miles from the finish they blew another one. Nice vid!!

OL40SVX 01-06-2011 08:29 PM

Originally Posted by cowisl (Post 3290355)
Always bringing the subject back to OL :drink:

Has to do with the topic and I was actually talking with Paul about Fabio's run and his backl in the 90's the other day. And its Hustler not OL!:D:D

T2x 01-07-2011 07:10 AM

Originally Posted by HabanaJoe (Post 3290460)
I don't have the stats from that race but do you remember the speeds and Gancia not even averaging 80 on day 1? I guess with threads about "best rough water boat ever", did any of them ever go as fast as we remember and would a modern day boat, OL, Apache, Donzi, Skater, Mistic, etc, etc really have a higher average speed on a day like that if they had to cover the 100 plus miles?

As you make note of often, you have finish to win and we were all a little more conservative knowing how far you had to go. I told the story on here before about what Buzzi's race plan was for every race:
- get out front first
- stay out front
- always set the pace
- make the gas boats chase you
- even if they pass you 70% of them will break before the race ends
- the other diesel boats can't catch us, so don't worry
- lastly, finish and you'll win by default

ps - we tend to go 2 mph per year faster for every year after the actual event - LOL

Good questions....... Since Fabio, with that design, brought a cannon to a gun fight, I believe that hull would still obliterate any of today's big dollar vees. He was using pretty high tech laminates back then, the design is based on crushing big waves at considerable speed, and the fact is the current emphasis on uber gasoline power (with the possible exception of Mercury Racing's new 1350 package) has really reduced reliability and durability beyond a few short high speed blasts. Most of the guys who purchase 50 foot vee bottoms simply want comfort in a Poker Run, and have no desire to beat up their boat or themselves in a 150-1500 mile, true endurance test (not necessarily a bad thing). There are exceptions of course, the new quad diesel enduro OL being one of them, and the P-1 boats in Europe. Most of the jawboning on this and other websites about "rough water" capability really has little to do with long distance race conditions and is more focused on "Big Air" photo ops or achieving some ridiculously high "number" in calm water. Very few of our members can imagine running in storm seas in the Mediterranean with blood running down your forehead, a serious delamination on your hull, and hundreds of miles between you and the finish line, conditions which were the genesis of Mr. Buzzi's designs.

HabanaJoe 01-07-2011 08:03 AM

T2x - do you remember the NJ race in 1990? I ran the Buzzi boat through the inlet, down the river and to the crane at almost full speed and jumped infront of everyone to have her hauled out. The boat cracked from the center of the dash to left side over the gunnel, down the side, through the chine and to the keel. Me and Jerry Gilbreath finished the race, we rkept going slower and slower thinking we had enegine trouble until our feet got wet, then our ankles were covered!!!!

We would not stop short - you finsh the race!

I think you have it on video also the firts race in the spring at Key West in 1990? Kitami and I head out of the harbour and hit the steep waves and his head hits the dash a few times, his face is bruised etc, but we keep going!

Talk about the old days, his water bottle with the drink line going up the life vest was extra large, we had to fill it with Mountain Dew and Jack Daniels (50/50), every race was an experience!

T2x 01-07-2011 08:30 AM

Originally Posted by HabanaJoe (Post 3290907)
T2x - do you remember the NJ race in 1990? I ran the Buzzi boat through the inlet, down the river and to the crane at almost full speed and jumped infront of everyone to have her hauled out. The boat cracked from the center of the dash to left side over the gunnel, down the side, through the chine and to the keel. Me and Jerry Gilbreath finished the race, we rkept going slower and slower thinking we had enegine trouble until our feet got wet, then our ankles were covered!!!!

We would not stop short - you finsh the race!

I think you have it on video also the firts race in the spring at Key West in 1990? Kitami and I head out of the harbour and hit the steep waves and his head hits the dash a few times, his face is bruised etc, but we keep going!

Talk about the old days, his water bottle with the drink line going up the life vest was extra large, we had to fill it with Mountain Dew and Jack Daniels (50/50), every race was an experience!

Are you referring to the "Super Hawaii" hulls?

Frankly, Darren does much of my remembering for me these days....:D

HabanaJoe 01-07-2011 09:05 AM

Originally Posted by T2x (Post 3290925)
Are you referring to the "Super Hawaii" hulls?

Frankly, Darren does much of my remembering for me these days....:D

Yes, Super Hero / Hawaii and soon my son will have to do the same for me, I feel it coming on too......

windscreen 01-07-2011 11:40 AM

Originally Posted by CigDaze (Post 3290167)
At 1.07 HP/Cubic Inch, that's pretty mild. I wonder what those things weigh?

http://www.isottafraschini.it/eng/ri...po=Propulsione

1450 kg, or 3200 lbs each for the V1312T2 MSD SFC. That engine only specs out at 1,175 hp, but one could imagine FB gets a special tune for racing.

-Steve

HabanaJoe 01-07-2011 12:06 PM

Originally Posted by windscreen (Post 3291109)
http://www.isottafraschini.it/eng/ri...po=Propulsione

1450 kg, or 3200 lbs each for the V1312T2 MSD SFC. That engine only specs out at 1,175 hp, but one could imagine FB gets a special tune for racing.

-Steve

Thanks, so in other words they are stock engines basically with a little fuel turned up or in Fabio speak they are really 1,600hp or 1,800hp and he tells you 1,300 hp to make you feel like WTF, how does it go so fast with so little power! I love him!

stirling 01-07-2011 12:16 PM

Those Isotta,s can easily crank twice the power they claim and still be relyable .
I think with that much cubic inches ,they run maybe 20 psi boost ,double the boost to 40 psi by increasing the fuel duration and the power will be double too.